PDA

View Full Version : More X14XE Problems!!! :(

AlexW
13-03-09, 01:12 PM
Once again im back.

Got my ECU off CK (Pm coming your way btw), tried it in the car and its still the same as before.... It starts, runs for 5secs and then cuts out!

ECU light stil flashing like foook too.

Only thing ive come up with is that the orignal loom is imoblised and causing my probs with the non-imoblised ECU?

Any help? PLEASE!

Jack
13-03-09, 01:42 PM
Immobilised loom? Hows that work?!

When you say ECU light is flashing, do you mean its just randomly spakking out, or is it flashing up a series of codes?

Adam
13-03-09, 01:46 PM
If its flashing like it was before then that ecu is immobilised too

AlexW
13-03-09, 02:03 PM
I didnt mean imoblised loom, i ment differances between the cars with imoblisers and without.

Ck told me its non-imoblised, ive only got this ecu so i can test the damm car.

Toasted marshmellows anyone?

Adam
13-03-09, 02:07 PM
The ECU flashes the light to say the immobiliser signal is missing or incorrect.
it wouldn't flash if it wasnt immobilised.

You definently sure its not flashing fault codes out?

AlexW
13-03-09, 02:14 PM
Yep, 100% sure.

Guess il find out tonight when i get a reply from CK.

If the problem is the imobliser im stuffed.

andrew1988
13-03-09, 02:48 PM
Can x14xe's not be wired in as c16xe's? That'll get around the immobiliser issue?

phazer
13-03-09, 07:04 PM
C16XE's never had an immobiliser so those ECU's always work - that's how people run an X16XE as the engines are largely the same.

I thought all X14XE's were immobilised??

AlexW
13-03-09, 07:05 PM
Not all, apparently the dead early ones dont have a imobliser. But this ECU has had the imobliser de-activated i belive (CK can back me up on ths)

phazer
13-03-09, 07:07 PM
Cool - there are companies out there that will do it. I think you used to be able to do some ECU's with Tech2 also.

Sloth
13-03-09, 08:40 PM
id have got megasquirt and had done tbh mate...

Southie
13-03-09, 08:46 PM

Nothing like megasquirt sloth ;)

Dod
13-03-09, 10:30 PM
Mate, pm a user on here called RRV8. He wired my X14XE up and got it running yesterday. He should be able to help.

AlexW
14-03-09, 12:40 AM
Megasquirt i just CBA with. Its a daily car at the end of the day. But its on my list, but i simply dont have the time/money to do it atm, Later in the year sure.

Dod - think il PM him now.

Im off up the scrappy tomorrow, so im going to see what i find. Meh crap cars.

Adam
14-03-09, 12:45 AM
Why?
MS will cost about £250, plus headaches sorting out initial settings,and then mappping cost....... Not worth it on a std engine when you can get a std ecu for like 40quid.......

rrv8
14-03-09, 08:48 PM
If you are running a non immobilser ecu on a wiring loom that was set up for a immobiliser you have to join the two blue/red wire on the key transponder plug to make a non immobiliser loom other wise it wont see the vss

ck
16-03-09, 01:45 PM
its 100% non immobilized ecu, its has not turned off or anything it doesnt have an immobilizer built in.

the early corsa sri 16v's never had an immobilizer in the ecu.

i know for a fact as the cars never had a transponder fitted and no chip in the key...

ck
16-03-09, 01:48 PM
If you are running a non immobilser ecu on a wiring loom that was set up for a immobiliser you have to join the two blue/red wire on the key transponder plug to make a non immobiliser loom other wise it wont see the vss

looms are the same... this is only correct if a transponder wiring plug has been wiring into the engine loom itself. if the transponder was wired in properly through the 9pin plug (car side of plug not engine loom side) then no the VSS/Signal wire will not make a single difference

AlexW
16-03-09, 04:10 PM
Well it still does excatly the same as before, wiring is 100% correct. ECU light flashs like a fooker and the engine cuts out after 5mins. meh :roll:

ck
16-03-09, 04:18 PM
does it still bring up the fault code for the immobilizer signal?

AlexW
16-03-09, 04:18 PM
yep.

mowgli
16-03-09, 07:04 PM
sounds obvious, but does it have coolant in it??

AlexW
16-03-09, 07:05 PM
Its not anything else but the imobliser. It wouldnt come up with the imobliser code otherwise!

Mikey_J
16-03-09, 07:10 PM
It cuts out after running for 5 mins? Does it struggle to start after? Crank sensor perhaps?

AlexW
16-03-09, 07:11 PM
5 secs. And as i posted before^^

ECU light flashes like mad which means imobliser fault

Adam
16-03-09, 07:23 PM
If the ecu was a non-immobilised one then surely it could not flash the ecu light, as it would not be programmed to do so...

The engine will start fine without a VSS signal

AlexW
16-03-09, 07:23 PM
Aye i know, CK was sure its non-imoblised though. I dont even know anyone with a baby xe that the ecu can be tested in :(

mowgli
16-03-09, 08:45 PM
sounds to me like a component failure, maybe caused by bad wiring..

Dod
16-03-09, 09:33 PM
I'm tempted to lol at your arrogance when you were talking about the project first but na, I know the feeling only too well. You tried what RRV8 said? Can you take a look at what you've joined to what, make a note of it and possibly a few pics as well mate?

andrew1988
16-03-09, 09:40 PM
Might be worth re-trying all your wiring. You seem very confident that it is the ecu but isnt this the 3rd ecu? Only so many times a workman can blame his tools.

Ive had it before and was absolute hell. Got it running eventually though

Dod
16-03-09, 09:53 PM
/\ I dont think anyone could beat me, its taken me 3 years to get mine running and at that I had to get RRV8 to do it. lol

AlexW
16-03-09, 09:56 PM
Well nothing in my wiring would make the ECU light flash.... Ive done it excatly how ive been told.

Edit: I have re-done it all again...... Twice now

Dod
16-03-09, 10:04 PM
Take a few snaps or write down what from what has been joined to what, its easy to over look these things, may be as simple as a wire come loose.

AlexW
16-03-09, 10:05 PM
dod i dont need to, i do it for a living!

Dod
16-03-09, 10:21 PM
Ok, so you have a faulty ECU everytime? Look mate, I'm trying to help, not criticise you.

So lets look at it again.

.Wiring is fine
.ECU appears faulty, is it the ECU or is it the key chip or transponder?

AlexW
16-03-09, 10:27 PM
Apparently this ECU is non-imoblised.

What the hell can be wrong with the wiring, perm is to a perfect perm live (fused) and a ign live from the back of the barrel (also fused). Ive even run the ecu earth and fuel pump earth straight to the battery.

CBA with this car now.

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-09, 10:33 PM
Take a few snaps or write down what from what has been joined to what, its easy to over look these things, may be as simple as a wire come loose.

^ good idea, can compare connections to route out the evil mc'nasty

Dod
16-03-09, 10:36 PM
Well I tried.

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-09, 10:38 PM
alex u stubborn old fool, let dod help u out and u can end this conflict FOREVER !!!! muahhaha i turned darth vader at the end there.

AlexW
16-03-09, 10:38 PM
I dont see what else i can do!

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-09, 10:42 PM
check the electrical connections against dods, he's probably the only one on here that has a running one of these. youve not got anything to loose, a few pictures and a few lines of text to explain the spiders web of wires.

AlexW
16-03-09, 10:47 PM
Pics arent going to be very clear. Ive bascialy ruled out the wiring anyways. Im just saying that CK was sure that the ecu was imoblised. Maybe ive ****ed it up like everything else on this car.

rrv8
16-03-09, 11:11 PM
To recap
Its starting and running for 5 secs ?
Does this in 3 ecu ?
EML flashes rapidly all the time as soon as ignition is turned on ?
Or EML is solid for 4-5 secs then flashes when ignition is turned on
Have you got a transponder wired in anywhere ?

I have 2 ecu here that wont run unless vss is connected so some one better have words with them

AlexW
16-03-09, 11:12 PM
VSS is connected proplery. All 4 ECUs do the same. Turn the IGN on and the ecu light is constant for about 2 secs and then it just starts flashing like fook, NOT flashing the codes

rrv8
16-03-09, 11:23 PM
Forget the eml for now
It will start and run sort of for about 5 secs ?
Is a transponder plug wired in or not ?

AlexW
16-03-09, 11:26 PM
Dosnt have any of the keychip stuff wired in atm. VSS is connected as it should.

It starts, 5secs later it cuts out, if you turn the ign on, leave it for about 10secs and then try and start it, it just cranks.

Ive tested it at the fuel pump, if you turn the ign on, about 6secs later it cuts the feed, same at the coil (well i didnt test it, my bro did)

rrv8
16-03-09, 11:31 PM
Crank or cam sensor , ecu is not seeing the engine turning so shutting of the fueling as it should

AlexW
16-03-09, 11:32 PM
Would that cause the EML tho? I dont want to spend money on things when i dont need to. And is there anyway of testing eather?

Sloth
16-03-09, 11:45 PM
not really, just change me for good ones and see. sorry

rrv8
16-03-09, 11:46 PM
These systems have there own little quirks
Yes it will cause the eml to flash as if the immobiliser was on because the ecu has not initialised , the fact it runs for 5 secs means its not imobilised
The only time it will run is when the the ecu is pressurising the fuel rail then it waits to see the crank or cam sensor to see the engine rotating the if it sees rotation it carrys on and powers up the pump etc , if it doesnt see rotation it shuts down the pump etc

AlexW
16-03-09, 11:53 PM
the running for 5 secs dosnt mean its not imobised. I got a mate (lives on the other side of england) to use his spare key (Dosnt have the keychip) and it dont excatly the same as what mine does. This is parly the reason for me thinking Imobliser.

meh, il replace the crank/cam sensors but tbh im not holding my breath.

AlexW
16-03-09, 11:59 PM
Oh and if the cam/crank sensors are the prob il get everyone i know to rep you

Dod
17-03-09, 12:01 AM
And appoligise for being such a winey little BlTCH???

AlexW
17-03-09, 12:02 AM
I didnt think i was? Just annoyed that i keep getting told the same things over and over

Sloth
17-03-09, 01:07 AM
maybe that tells ya something?

rrv8
17-03-09, 10:35 AM
If you are confident the wiring is 100% , tried 4 ECU and one is garunteed non immobiliser then how can it be the immobiliser causing the problem . take the eml bulb out and throw that as far as you can and concentrate on sparking and fuelling
What wiring diagram have you followed out of interest ?

AlexW
17-03-09, 10:35 AM
Just had your thery slashed, Cam sensor would put the engine into limp mode, Not cause it to cut out. And the crank sensor would mean it wouldnt start in the first place! And the EML flashing like foook means nothing but the imobliser. Il just have to buy another ecu and prove you all wrong.

AlexW
17-03-09, 10:38 AM
If you are confident the wiring is 100% , tried 4 ECU and one is garunteed non immobiliser then how can it be the immobiliser causing the problem . take the eml bulb out and throw that as far as you can and concentrate on sparking and fuelling
What wiring diagram have you followed out of interest ?

First ECU was imoblised, wasnt given the keychip etc
2nd was the wrong one (white/red plugs)
3rd same as 2nd.
4th is this one from ck.

I have been concentrating on fuel/spark! Ive spent nearly every day doing this.

And common sense (red to perm, black to ign, brown to earth, light blue to coolant on dash, red/blue to fuel pump, etc etc etc)

Ive checked this with adam and burgo too

rrv8
17-03-09, 10:48 AM
Go and see these lads bhsalvage.com ( google it ) they have 14 corsa and 2 nova in at the moment plus more on the shelf .Be very nice and make Tarny a coffee and he might let you fire up a motor to proove the ecu etc

AlexW
17-03-09, 10:51 AM
Acualy thats not a bad idea, /me goes off to ask the misses.

Got any idea how much they ask for an ecu setup? and know if any of them are x14's?

rrv8
17-03-09, 11:05 AM
No idea how much , all very good mates of mine , used to do a lot of work for them , in fact where one off Dods set up come from , so 1 x14 but no ecu

Dod
17-03-09, 11:28 AM
Thanks to RRV8, my set up was free. :D

Sloth
17-03-09, 12:34 PM
is that rrv8 from total opel?
how do fella!

Dod
17-03-09, 12:42 PM
No, theres 2 of them. LMAO!

ck
17-03-09, 02:40 PM
as stated above.

crank sensor will make the engine do nothing and just crank over

cam sensor will cause limp mode and it will run without being connected.

all immobilized ecu's will start and run the car for approx 5seconds before cutting the engine off if the correct chip signal is not seen.

MY ecu which i have loaned is 100% non immobilizer, car it was removed from was a very early corsa sri 16v. they do not even have a chip in the key or a transponder. just a sorta dummy transponder fitted into place (to connect the vss up properly)

very strange one this lol.

will the EML flash up fault codes properly? i.e disconnect the crank sensor and maybe a couple others and make sure it will flash up the codes for them.

wiring should be as follows just to make sure.

black - switched live
red - constant live
brown - earth
blue - temp guage
brown/white - not needed
brown/blue - earth for diagnostics
brown/yellow - EML
red/blue (thick) - fuel pump
red/blue (thin) - vss (or imobilizer signal wire)
green - rev counter

depending on what car the loom came from you may have a switched/constant live in the engine bay to connect and possibly an earth.

on the engine loom engine side there should be 2 earths going to the alternator top bracket, one going to the right hand side of the inlet and one going to the throttle body.

if u need sensors i have crap loads mate.

if i think of anything else ill let u know

ck
17-03-09, 02:41 PM
u can even use/try a x16xe ecu. will work just fine. (same with x14xe that they do early non immobilized ones)

AlexW
17-03-09, 03:21 PM
The wiring is as above, EML is the other way around (its acualy wired up to the dash) which is how i was told.

I just popped outside and disconnected the big connnector that goes inside the inlet crap. Still get the constant flashing. Baxter is going to let me test his X16XE ecu too.

All the earths are correct and my engine/loom is from a corsa and dosnt have any other connections that arnt used apart from the old blower crap.

I dont know what else it can be now, i think ive run out of options.

Southie
17-03-09, 03:37 PM
Have you ever heard this engine running i.e before you bought it!

I am still having similiar cr@p with mine with it not holding the throttle open.
Got hold of all the original C16xe top inlet throttlebody for mine now :D

AlexW
17-03-09, 03:38 PM
I wasnt in this country when it was collected lol But no, no1 has heard it running.

Adam
17-03-09, 09:36 PM
CK, but do you not agree that if it was a non-immobilised ecu it couldn't flash the ecu light with the "No immobiliser input signal" flashout...
It wouldn't be programmed to do so, so it cant be a non immobilised ecu????

Not trying sound like a t**t or anything, but thats how i see it...

aw06-ecu lamp is brown/blue, not yellow.
brown/yellow is put to earth to flash up the codes.

Sloth
17-03-09, 09:45 PM
like i said to aw, the best way to check is open the casing and look for the "burnt" bits. only other option is fit a obd socket and get it flash coded with a reader

Adam
17-03-09, 09:47 PM
Look for burnt bits? Eh?

Sloth
17-03-09, 09:59 PM
my bad i read it wrong. i thought it was a late de-immob'd ecu

Adam
17-03-09, 10:01 PM
They dont burn anything.
Its de-immobilised through the flash/odb port afaik.......

Sloth
17-03-09, 10:32 PM
you can hard wire em out too...

rrv8
17-03-09, 11:41 PM
is that rrv8 from total opel?
how do fella!

The one and only i'm afraid

rrv8
17-03-09, 11:48 PM
wiring should be as follows just to make sure.

black - switched live
red - constant live
brown - earth
blue - temp guage
brown/white - not needed
brown/blue - earth for diagnostics
brown/yellow - EML
red/blue (thick) - fuel pump
red/blue (thin) - vss (or imobilizer signal wire)
green - rev counter

should be
brown/blue -EML
brown/yellow - earth for diagnostics

If all else fails stick V8 in it and get some decent torque

Sloth
18-03-09, 12:06 AM
so hes perma earthed the eml, which if ya switch off and on wipes the codes... hmm

AlexW
18-03-09, 01:53 PM
Now its warm i thought i would double check all the fault codes and my god.

TPS - Low voltage (could be cause by the battery being almost dead?)

Imobliser - No signal (sorry but that proves it has to be an imoblised ECU)

Lamba sensor - None fitted atm

Camshaft sensor.

ATS - Again low voltage, im guessing because the battery is dead.

Guess il have to find another ECU. CK PM me your address and il send it back to ya today if i get a answer quick enough.

Cheers all

VXandy
18-03-09, 05:03 PM
Imobiliser having no signal means it doesn't have one fitted matey:thumb:

AlexW
18-03-09, 06:27 PM
lol i know this lol

But it means that the ECU is imoblised, its not ment to be.

Adam
18-03-09, 07:15 PM
Imobiliser having no signal means it doesn't have one fitted matey:thumb:
Immobiliser No Signal
Means its not receiving a switch off signal from the immobiliser transponder barrel :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-09, 11:13 AM
jeez, still going for it with this animal.
take a jack hammer to the block lol
no messing, straight thru the bonnet like a terminator would.

... mind u, a terminator would just punch the block in half and drink the engine oil for a laugh

ck
19-03-09, 12:43 PM
it is not immobilized... as ive clearly stated before i removed the ecu and the car was never fitted with a transponder or chip in the key... just like BIGS ecu is not immobilized as he has my old one from my first corsa...

AlexW
19-03-09, 01:46 PM
why would it bring up no signal from the imobliser then?:confused:

Sloth
19-03-09, 02:09 PM
if it was non immob it wouldnt. aw like i said get a full setup and fit it, from a breakers and youll get a 30 day guarrantee, so if it dont cure it, you can take it back

AlexW
19-03-09, 02:09 PM
Got baxters ECU coming, no point in spending money when i dont have to.

Sloth
19-03-09, 02:14 PM
ah okies. is baxters non chip?

AlexW
19-03-09, 02:26 PM
with keychip and transponder.

Andy_L
19-03-09, 02:58 PM
it is not immobilized... as ive clearly stated before i removed the ecu and the car was never fitted with a transponder or chip in the key... just like BIGS ecu is not immobilized as he has my old one from my first corsa...

Let's assume CK is right (it's his ECU afterall).

If you have the transponder thingy still connected will it expect to still receive a signal even though the ECU is a non immob'd job?

I am pissing in the wind.

AlexW
19-03-09, 03:07 PM
The old imobliser pickup/wiring was all removed.

Southie
19-03-09, 03:21 PM
In fairness to ck I don't think that he would say that it's a non immobilised ecu if it wasn't!!!! Are you 100% sure everything is still wired in and okay :roll:

Seems to be a lot of ECU issues for one engine mate :confused:

AlexW
19-03-09, 03:23 PM
like ive said many times the wiring is koool, checked it, double checked, triple checked lol

The ECU fault codes are saying the ecu is imoblised....

Southie
19-03-09, 03:28 PM
Have you still got Nova wiring in the engine bay for the starter and the alternator?

AlexW
19-03-09, 03:28 PM
yep And anyways it starts fine, just dosnt keep running due to imobliser.....

Southie
19-03-09, 03:44 PM
I simpathise, as mine is back in bits now. A C16xe inlet and throttlebody going on mine tonight because mine still wouldn't hold the revs.

Smallblock FTL :eek: lol

VXandy
19-03-09, 05:40 PM
why would it bring up no signal from the imobliser then?:confused:

Because it doesn't have one! If the ECU was working fine when CK had it, its got to be something else mate! Did any other TC's come up?

johnny_turbo
19-03-09, 05:48 PM
from what your sayin it had a imobliser but dint you take the wires out for it so realy it shunt be picking it up as that

Adam
19-03-09, 05:50 PM
VX andy, see my post...

Sloth
19-03-09, 05:57 PM
too many cooks boys tbh. aw have you fitted a proper diag port? if so get it read at vaux and get them to turn the immobiliser off.

bmw156
19-03-09, 05:59 PM
tis a terrible shame this is all happeneing

AlexW
19-03-09, 06:08 PM
Not yet, and the price vaux want for turning off the imob aint worth it.

Sloth
19-03-09, 07:08 PM
/\ is if it gets it running dude....

andrew1988
19-03-09, 07:22 PM
Will a c16xe wiring loom and ecu work?

AlexW
19-03-09, 07:24 PM
Yes if i got the AFM too. But in the mean time im going to wait on baxters ECU and another im going to try aswell.

gazjoiner
19-03-09, 11:13 PM
hi mate, with all due respect, forget about the ecu, imob, loom, flash codes ect, have you ruled out/tested the crank sensor and connections? bearing in mind if the imob, loom, ecu was at fault it wouldnt start full stop imo :roll: with you saying it starts for five seconds then dies, makes me think its crank sensor related!! i know its not a moving part, but they do fail from time to time! i had this problem 12 or 13 years ago with 20 efi meastro lol it went on for weeks, it would fire up for five to ten seconds, touch the accelerator and it would die, in the end the crank sensor was found to be at fault, although it looked perfect!. sorry about the essay lol just trying to be helpfull :thumb:

AlexW
19-03-09, 11:16 PM
Aye no probs, but like ive been saying all day, il wait for these other ECU's to turn up, inc the keychip etc so. I dont want to spend money on a crank sensor when i dont need to! And with the 5sec imobliser thing, thats how these old ones work. I tested it with a mate and his corsa.

Edit: The crank sensor fault that came up could be to do with the battery being flat. Tomorrow im going to try it all again with a fully charged batt

gazjoiner
19-03-09, 11:27 PM
well i hope you get it sorted mate :thumb: must be really get on your tits now? lol now i wont to know whats up with it :D :thumb:

AlexW
19-03-09, 11:50 PM
Yep, more annoying is i keep getting told the same things over and over.

im going to take it for a drive as soon as it runs longer than 5secs

gazjoiner
20-03-09, 12:02 AM
lol i bet you going to give it some right foot too? lol

AlexW
20-03-09, 12:03 AM
Well i hope ive got enough fuel, good enough brakes and the rev gauge working lol