PDA

View Full Version : ECU Fault, Any idea?

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 10:29 AM
Hi, got a 20xe coil pack type. driving along sometimes and the ecu light will come on, it stays there for about 15 seconds depending then it turns off, and i try to keep it there so i can flash it out but, as i dont manage to pull over in time i never get it,
it seems to happen if i hold the rev on 2,100 rpm depending, if i drive at this rpm the car jerks backwards and forwards, and if i hold it at this rpm in neutral the idol jumps up and down :S rather annoying, thinking it could be inlet casket but that wouldnt show up as a fault for ovious reasons.
Any Help

GRUNT 16V
13-03-09, 10:42 AM
You Can Flash The Codes Up Without Holding The Revs Up Anyway !!as It Should Be Stored On The Ecu

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 10:53 AM
You Can Flash The Codes Up Without Holding The Revs Up Anyway !!as It Should Be Stored On The Ecu

unfortunatly its hard to get it to stay otherwise i would do that, will try again later

let_nova
13-03-09, 10:59 AM
idle control valve. change it and if it stops it you owe me £10. lol

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 11:05 AM
okay fine i got a spare, BUT.... if it doesnt stop you owe ME £10

wont be able to do it will next tuesday / thursday depending on weather but ill be back

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 11:06 AM
ICV won't bring up a fault AFAIK, plus the idle control valve will show its faulty if the engine idles erattically or cuts out when stationary.

If the ECU light has come on and comes on regularly then you don't need to try keep the ECU light on for you to find out what the problem is. the ECU will store that fault until it disappears after so many runs.

When you get home you need to read off the ECU codes by doing a paperclip test, that way you can put up the fault code on here and we can have a much better idea as to why your car does it.

Sloth
13-03-09, 11:27 AM
tps my cash is on....

let_nova
13-03-09, 11:29 AM
my icv was faulty it caused the jerking etc. plus iirc the icv is operative under 2000rpm. in failing that it may be the afm.

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 12:26 PM
Place Your Bets!!!

Okay what i will do is clean the spare Idle Control Valve i have and stick that on, if it doesnt change then i will try the throttle positioning sensor and if not that the air flow meter, But now thinking about it i have already tried replacing the Air flow meter and still had the same problem. What you recon is the best way of cleaning the air flow meter? Engine degreaser?

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 12:30 PM
Mate, do the paperclip test to flash up the ECU fault codes if any, stops you from playing the guessing game.

Something like methylated spirit, does the job but isnt too harsh.

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 12:31 PM
Here you go:

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 12:32 PM
Legend but ive used it about 5-10 times since its done it but i will be back in a minute after ive done the flash test and let you know if its still on the ecu! the thing is i thought that light alawys stayed on :S

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 12:35 PM
Doesn't really matter it normally stores a code for much longer then that. Just do the test if you feel you are able to and that way it will give you a idea of what could be wrong.

Otherwise you'll end up changing and cleaning things that never needed fixing. < Trust me on that lol

let_nova
13-03-09, 12:35 PM
i would recommend just buying a new icv as your not always sure its clean/working correctly.

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 12:41 PM
anybody got a Lambda sensor? (thats works), Thats Right your all wrong teehee. Although i do believe the idle control valve is naff

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 12:49 PM
Did it come up with the Lambda sensor then?

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 01:17 PM
it most certainly did fault numbers 12 - 13 - 31 but 31 and 12 are normal

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 01:17 PM
so anyone have a lambda sensor for sale ? a decent one

AlexW
13-03-09, 01:20 PM
Buy new, there only about £20.

nova_saloon
13-03-09, 01:27 PM
do you mean thoose crappy copy parts that you have to cut the original wire up and join them together if so it was new about 6 months agoa nd there ****e!

Nova_Tek
13-03-09, 01:35 PM
31 - engine rpm signal otherwise a cranksensor. I guess you had the engine off when you did the test.

try autovaux they normally do decent parts that don't need modifications.

Rich
13-03-09, 07:23 PM
if need be ill see what i can get you one for at work, not cheap though even at cost :(