PDA

View Full Version : Warning to those with tints

MyNovaSr
11-03-09, 09:49 PM
Got pulled today in coventry and the option was remove my tints there and then or they were going to take my car :mad: .

Half an hour later the buggers came off.

The only saving grace was just as I was going they pulled over a young blonde girl with tints, so I went back to the traffic copper and said "I hope your going to make her remove her tints as well and not let her off as she's blonde!" He smiled and said he would, I was slightly pi$$ed off I must confess. :mad: lol

let_nova
11-03-09, 09:51 PM
ive been pulled over loads. 43% light coming through the front. every time he recommends i remove them.

its usualls 3 points or £30 fine.

MyNovaSr
11-03-09, 09:53 PM
recommends :confused:

none of that round here :roll:

Spudly
11-03-09, 09:53 PM
They cant take your car unless you have an asbo relating to it, they were just using bully tactics on you as clearly youve not had much experience with the feds!

They can issue three points though if theyre feeling that way out or youre being a n00b to them!

Benn
11-03-09, 09:54 PM
What % of lights is visable thru your front windows?

Spudly
11-03-09, 09:54 PM
Moral of the story is dont get your fronts tinted as its not legal, back and sides can be 100% limo if you wish!

let_nova
11-03-09, 09:55 PM
They cant take your car unless you have an asbo relating to it, they were just using bully tactics on you as clearly youve not had much experience with the feds!

They can issue six points though if theyre feeling that way out or youre being a n00b to them!

its only 6 point if its below 40% 3 points or fine up to that.

brainsnova
11-03-09, 09:56 PM
you should of said you had spare glass and put the front windows down.

MyNovaSr
11-03-09, 09:57 PM
His machine read 79 :confused:

Dont know if that refers to 21% coming through or 79 :confused:

dj_wudgey
11-03-09, 09:57 PM
i dont like having tints me had them in my grey shed and took them out after afew days!!

Spudly
11-03-09, 09:58 PM
its only 6 point if its below 40% 3 points or fine up to that.

Sorry i wrote wrong word i meant three points lol:roll:

L33 LEG
11-03-09, 10:01 PM
why is this a warning? surely by now everybody knows any front tint which isnt factory is illegal?

ps. you should of said you will just wind you're window down and remove them when you get home Lol.

MyNovaSr
11-03-09, 10:07 PM
why is this a warning? surely by now everybody knows any front tint which isnt factory is illegal?

ps. you should of said you will just wind you're window down and remove them when you get home Lol.

I mean warning as they are being nobheads round here and targeting us with the tints so whatever, they wont let you go without removing them, if you do you'll have no car as it's not "safe".

L33 LEG
11-03-09, 10:11 PM
I mean warning as they are being nobheads round here and targeting us with the tints so whatever, they wont let you go without removing them, if you do you'll have no car as it's not "safe".

i have tints on my bm and if a cop told me to remove them i would do as i know theyre illegal. im not trying to be funny here with you, but you know theyre illegal so its something you've got to put up with.

luckily for me though iv never been stopped for them, mainly cos the fronts are very light.

brainsnova
11-03-09, 10:12 PM
i ve never had tints as im not ugly lol joking

Jack
11-03-09, 10:22 PM
Er, no they don't, as thats not the case. lol

His machine read 79 :confused:

Dont know if that refers to 21% coming through or 79 :confused:
TBH if its 21% light transmission you'd be looking at a very very dark tint. If its 79% light transmission, tell the copper to fcuk off as thats a legal level of tint.

Legal limits are
Front sides = 70% light transmission
Windscreen = 75% light transmission
Rear sides & back = anything goes

Bubba
11-03-09, 10:24 PM
my cav had the fronts ripped out after i was told 2 months before to take them out.

L33 LEG
11-03-09, 10:32 PM
Er, no they don't, as thats not the case. lol

TBH if its 21% light transmission you'd be looking at a very very dark tint. If its 79% light transmission, tell the copper to fcuk off as thats a legal level of tint.

Legal limits are
Front sides = 70% light transmission
Windscreen = 75% light transmission
Rear sides & back = anything goes

this debate will always go on and never be decided. as iv always known, as from jan 2005 iirc anything on the fronts are illegal. it used to be 70% light, but then they stopped it. ever since then people have argued. what iv learnt though is it depends what county you're in Lol. i dont have time and cant be bothered searching the net, again, to find out the rules. cos theres always going to be other people posting rules stating that it is legal to have 70%.

i also guarantee, that the majority of places who fit them, will always tell you that it is illegal.

Pistol Pete
11-03-09, 10:37 PM
this debate will always go on and never be decided. as iv always known, as from jan 2005 iirc anything on the fronts are illegal. it used to be 70% light, but then they stopped it. ever since then people have argued. what iv learnt though is it depends what county you're in Lol. i dont have time and cant be bothered searching the net, again, to find out the rules. cos theres always going to be other people posting rules stating that it is legal to have 70%.

i also guarantee, that the majority of places who fit them, will always tell you that it is illegal.

^ Just say that to cover themselves more than likely.

Just confirms for me why i think tints are a stupid mod IMO.

Jack
11-03-09, 10:42 PM
this debate will always go on and never be decided. as iv always known, as from jan 2005 iirc anything on the fronts are illegal.
No, it will be decided every time you say that, as each time I will post a link to a VOSA document dated October 2008 which lists the legal limits of tints! lol Its not even hard to find, just google "VOSA tints"! :p

As Pete said, the rumour (as thats all it is!) about tints being illegal stems from tinting companies telling customers they're not for road use as if the person then gets nicked for it, the tinting company can be fined for fitting "illegal" tints.

L33 LEG
11-03-09, 10:44 PM
No, it will be decided every time you say that, as each time I will post a link to a VOSA document dated October 2008 which lists the legal limits of tints! lol Its not even hard to find, just google "VOSA tints"! :p

As Pete said, the rumour (as thats all it is!) about tints being illegal stems from tinting companies telling customers they're not for road use as if the person then gets nicked for it, the tinting company can be fined for fitting "illegal" tints.

well they must of changed it then because years ago i found the same thing stating it was illegal lol if thats the case though, post up the link and il print it out and keep it in my glovebox lol

Jack
11-03-09, 10:46 PM
Clicky (pdf) (http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/Tinted%20Windows%20Oct%202008.pdf)

Despite extensive searching, I've never seen a doc from VOSA stating ANY tints are illegal.

L33 LEG
11-03-09, 10:52 PM
cheers for that even though it doesnt give much information and looks a bit 'amatuer' for a vosa document. if and when i ever get pulled for it, il argue my case.

and i have definetly seen that it is illegal. i just cant be arsed to search :)

Jack
11-03-09, 10:57 PM
May look amateur but its hosted on the Vosa site so thats good enough for me :D

Spudly
11-03-09, 11:00 PM
Ive had the three rears in my last nova tinted and tbh ill never have tints again they look chav imo and are a pain in the ass reversing on a night downa dark road/tenfoot or other unlit area!

Big_Chap
11-03-09, 11:46 PM
Mmm my vectra has tints but from what I can tell they aren't film (no typical 5mm gap at the top) but I also doubt they're factory even though they look it! The rears are also darker but I don't know if that's a sign of aftermarket or factory? If my tints are lower than 70% and not film what would happen? Would I be expected to replace the front waindows?!!!

mikey14sr
12-03-09, 05:44 PM
Mmm my vectra has tints but from what I can tell they aren't film (no typical 5mm gap at the top) but I also doubt they're factory even though they look it! The rears are also darker but I don't know if that's a sign of aftermarket or factory? If my tints are lower than 70% and not film what would happen? Would I be expected to replace the front waindows?!!!

Sounds like they've actually been done properly!

dan16v
12-03-09, 05:48 PM
Moral of the story is dont get your fronts tinted as its not legal, back and sides can be 100% limo if you wish!

Moral of the story is dont have any form of after market tint on your car as it makes you look like a chavlol

djbrowney
12-03-09, 05:52 PM
iirc it's against the law for a police man to make you remove the tints on the side of the road !

There was a lad who was asked to do this in gt yarmouth one night a took the police to court an won, there was a thread on this before ????

The simp's knows something about this im sure ? i could be wrong like i always am though !!!

1.3sr_kane
12-03-09, 07:50 PM

They can issue three points though if theyre feeling that way out or youre being a n00b to them!

windows tints is not a points offence! it is however a 30£ on spot fine. or remove them then and there. ive had no end of dealings with them over it as i have got windows tinted on all my cars!

Jack
12-03-09, 11:07 PM
That may be, but they can deem your car un roadworthy and not let you drive it on the road til it is roadworthy

If my tints are lower than 70% and not film what would happen? Would I be expected to replace the front waindows?!!!
Yep.

Spudly
12-03-09, 11:28 PM
windows tints is not a points offence!

Youve never been stopped or been in a mates car when stopped for tints then.

Yes you can and do get three points for them, its up to the discretion of the officer but most will allow you to remove them and save yourself the points but you can get em as a lad i know lost his licence due to having three points already and only being eight months into having his licence 3 + 3 = Learner status again:cry: