PDA

View Full Version : how to slplit glass from light housing

reid_em
10-03-09, 07:38 PM
i wanted to clean inside me light housing as bit dirty and know they look good when all shiney. with my old fiesta ones i was able to just remove glass with a screw driver leavering it away. i have tried this with me nova front light(mk2) and it just feels like going to brake. is there any hidden screws or a trick to getting them off. or have i just gota some how break the glue bond to clean them up
thanks reid:thumb:

AlexW
10-03-09, 07:44 PM
Just damm well glued iirc.

Your more likly to break them than anything lol

~~joycey~~
10-03-09, 07:48 PM
Get the hair dryer out and heat them up mate :)

reid_em
10-03-09, 07:51 PM
thanks m8 il give that a go, i did think about it but wanted to ask 1st like every1 does

CoolTiger
10-03-09, 07:54 PM
put them in oven ;)

AlexW
10-03-09, 09:23 PM
CT - what i WAS going to say. But make sure you dont over do it otherwise there wont be any headlight to split apart (me is thinking of the back bit which iirc is plastic.

CoolTiger
10-03-09, 09:37 PM
and wear oven mits SAFTY FIRST

reid_em
10-03-09, 09:40 PM
lol always gota think saftey first these days!!! takes all day to change a light bulb on most sites lol

Pistol Pete
10-03-09, 09:40 PM
reid em, I'd like to know if this works. Post up when yu have done it...:)

Mike
10-03-09, 10:33 PM
Just buy some new ones, they'll break into a million peices before you manage to split them.

DW-Nova
10-03-09, 11:18 PM
Just buy some new ones, they'll break into a million peices before you manage to split them. Totally agree mate ! i decided to take mine apart and what a job ! took absolutley ages !!! you'll most likely end up busting them in the process too, also if you use a hairdryer etc on them it'll break the lense (as i found out :roll: )

Graeme
10-03-09, 11:54 PM
put them in oven ;)

It works, 180 degrees for ten minutes, softens the glue up a treat, try it on a spare one first

brainsnova
11-03-09, 12:26 AM
It works, 180 degrees for ten minutes, softens the glue up a treat, try it on a spare one first

is that a fan assited time.

~~joycey~~
11-03-09, 04:48 AM
Totally agree mate ! i decided to take mine apart and what a job ! took absolutley ages !!! you'll most likely end up busting them in the process too, also if you use a hairdryer etc on them it'll break the lense (as i found out :roll: )

How long did you have it on there for to get it hot enough to break the glass? A year!?

Graeme
11-03-09, 06:46 AM
is that a fan assited time.

Why not? Whats the worst that can happen?

Stanley
11-03-09, 07:10 AM
Ive done this with Corsa headlamps with no problems.

I used a heatgun and just worked my way around the outside of the lense until they gradually come off.

Stanley
11-03-09, 07:12 AM
I used a heat gun and focused it mainly on the glass (not on the black plastic)

Work your way round the top half of the headlamp and then eventually you should be able to use a screwdriver or similar to lever the glass off - being careful not to break glass of course.

Be patient though!

Once the glass is seperate, heat up the grey glue that holds the glass in (yes i know the glass isnt there anymore but trust me...) this will make it softer and aid getting the chrome surround out.

Once it is out you will have to remove the clear plastic flasher lens on it (easily done, just force it out - it will unclip)

Then its time to spray! I dint use any primer or similar. You may if you wish. I used Satin Black paint from a rattle can.

Wait for it to dry (i know its hard but REALLY wait till it properly dry)

Re-assemble the flaher lens (i removed the orange lens cover in the headlamp in the hope of a more cleaner look (il be using orange bulbs))

Re-heat the grey glue again around the 3 fixing points of the chrome surround and re-fit the surround taking care to seta it properly so its secure.

Re-heat the remainder of the grey glue all the way round the headlamp and press the glass back on holding it tighly down so it seals properly.

If all has went to plan, you should now have a DIY tinted lamp and have saved yourself a packet!!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/stan_the_man87/17022007550.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/stan_the_man87/17022007551.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/stan_the_man87/17022007549.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/stan_the_man87/18022007552.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/stan_the_man87/18022007553.jpg

Thats a guide i made aaaages ago.

jimbob-mcgrew
17-03-09, 11:31 AM
i was gonna say u could try submerging the glassy part into hot water for 10 mins, might loosen the glue up.

DW-Nova
17-03-09, 09:55 PM
How long did you have it on there for to get it hot enough to break the glass? A year!?

No mate a month ! Nah in all seriousness i hardly had it on there anytime what so ever !! it didnt break it as in shattered but i was going round with a hot air gun and all of a sudden, Crack ! you really have to be careful when applying heat to glass.