PDA

View Full Version : Idling too low

michaelbould
06-01-03, 12:58 PM
Car idles way too low, usually about 300-400 revs when warm and choke in and often cuts out if dont keep revs up. When choke is out idles better (700 - 800 revs) but still doesn't idle as high as it used to with the choke out.

I have tried turning the mixture screw up on the carberttor but it doesn't get any better no matter how many turns.

1.4SR
Webber Carb with choke
K&N Filter

neiloakley
06-01-03, 01:20 PM
you need to adjust the idle speed screw not the mixture screw. Haynes manual will tell you where.

neiloakley
06-01-03, 01:21 PM
you need to adjust the idle speed screw not the mixture screw. Haynes manual will tell you where.

carltoncrazy
06-01-03, 01:26 PM
neil right,you shouldnt of touched that mixture unless ya no wot ya doing,
to be honest,unless u ave the proper emission reading gear,and ur no wot ur doing,
take it to a garage and get them to tune it,coz soon as ya touch that mixture,ya tuneing is bolloxed.
on ly cost like a tenner at a MOT bay to get the mixturer done,
i saw in the back of the haynes it says,that if the peug 2e3 carb idels low,NEVR touch the mixture,
or was it the car book thing?

snapper
06-01-03, 01:31 PM
i agree with the crazy guy. and with it being a webber carb instead of the standard one, it's definetly worth getting it done properly.

neiloakley
06-01-03, 01:37 PM
my mate payed ?60 and got his uno rollin roaded and the carb rejetted then tuned and bhp tested. Gain 15 bhp just from having it pro tuned!

michaelbould
06-01-03, 07:15 PM
Well its got its MOT on Wednesday so im sure it would of failed on emissions anyway!

I'll get the garage to put it right then.

Manta Mad
06-01-03, 10:24 PM
Your Nova will pass its MOT provided its CO % in the exhaust is not more than 3.5% (assuming its not K reg onward but unlikely with a carb), this is way to high, it looks like the correct figure for your car is 0.5-1.0% at idle. (Check Haynes etc to be sure), if you have turned the mixture screw to weaken the mixture and its well below the minimin, it could cause damage longterm - at least you will get it checked out on Wednesday.

rob.slader
07-01-03, 05:40 PM
If your car is running too rich at idle, the MOT people will rev the car to 2500rpm and take another CO reading, they do this as some cars are naturally rich at idle, but lean off when revved. This is within the MOT guidelines. But this will only work for you if your car is properly tuned anyway.