PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure sender thread

boffer8
10-03-09, 10:47 AM
hi all,

does anyone kow what the Oil pressure sender thread is?

is it 1/8 npt?

Found this and wondered if it would work.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Sender-12v-52mm-0-10-Bar-Dial_W0QQitemZ370168222801QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash =item370168222801&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14

need to know asap to get hold of one in time for the weekend to fit it.

cheers

ben

garyc
10-03-09, 05:52 PM
I am pretty sure on the 1300 the thread is an M14 one in the back of the oil pump. not sure what your engine is.

monza_blue
10-03-09, 08:43 PM
I am pretty sure on the 1300 the thread is an M14 one in the back of the oil pump. not sure what your engine is.

garyc is correct the thread in the pump for the oil pressure switch is 14mm x 1.5 so you would need a addapter to fit 1/8 bsp oil pressure sender into pump most new gauges come with them in the box
hope this helps you steve

bmw156
10-03-09, 08:46 PM
i would like an oil pressure sender for a 1.2 so i can wire it into the digi dash.

but just wondering what are the advantages of having one?

brainsnova
10-03-09, 08:47 PM
i would like an oil pressure sender for a 1.2 so i can wire it into the digi dash.

but just wondering what are the advantages of having one?

it makes the oil preasure guage work on the digi clocks. then if the preasuure drops suddenly you know theres an oil fault.

bmw156
10-03-09, 08:48 PM
no **** shirlock.

ok once the guage is working, the information that it reads out, what use is this to me?

AlexW
10-03-09, 09:20 PM
garyc is correct the thread in the pump for the oil pressure switch is 14mm x 1.5 so you would need a addapter to fit 1/8 bsp oil pressure sender into pump most new gauges come with them in the box
hope this helps you steve

IIrc Mike had problems finding an adaptor for his. (Check his WIP)

And
If the pressure drops your more likly to catch the failure earlyer. In other cars it can be used to know the oil level (mk1 clio)

MK999
10-03-09, 09:25 PM
no **** shirlock.

ok once the guage is working, the information that it reads out, what use is this to me?

No oil = bad, stopping car with no oil = good idea.

bmw156
10-03-09, 09:28 PM
so it actually reads the level of the oil then, not just its pressure. so does it measure the pressure and this then works out the level of it??

might buy one lol

Mike
10-03-09, 10:09 PM
IIrc Mike had problems finding an adaptor for his. (Check his WIP)

Correct.

Pistol Pete
10-03-09, 10:14 PM
so it actually reads the level of the oil then, not just its pressure. so does it measure the pressure and this then works out the level of it??

might buy one lol

Duh...read! It measures the pressure. If you have none (oil pressure) you obviously have no oil and will soon enough blow your engine. You have a 1.2 so this may be agood thing lol ;) :p

MK999
10-03-09, 11:39 PM
Duh...read! It measures the pressure. If you have none (oil pressure) you obviously have no oil and will soon enough blow your engine. You have a 1.2 so this may be agood thing lol ;) :p

I try and try and the little asthmatic fecker comes back for more every time lol

And as pete says, no oil pressure means theres nothing in the sump or the pump has packed up, either way theres no oil where it's supposed to be, and it's in there in the first place for a reason ! lol

AlexW
10-03-09, 11:51 PM
And just the oil Light is preety useless, by the time that comes on its too late usualy (amount of cars ive seen where people havnt checked the oil)

And maybe a bit of rubbish but just to point out how inportant it is.
My mate works on engines for a living, had a mazda 6 come in on a 2005 plate, the woman had never checked the oil and thus buggerd the engine, resulting in eather a 3k+ engine or scrapping the car, the latter was chosen (£75 for it :eek:)

garyc
11-03-09, 09:09 AM
you should be able to get an adapter from demon tweeks.

bmw156
11-03-09, 09:11 AM
I try and try and the little asthmatic fecker comes back for more every time lol

And as pete says, no oil pressure means theres nothing in the sump or the pump has packed up, either way theres no oil where it's supposed to be, and it's in there in the first place for a reason ! lol

if i dont ask i dont learn!!

i asked, i learnt

Stuart
11-03-09, 10:54 AM
imho its just an extra thing to get your knickers in a twist with...

As the pressure will drop as the oil warms up etc so you can get nice and worried about it.
As long as the pressure switch light goes out immediately at start up and never flickers on then thats enough info :D

monza_blue
11-03-09, 07:16 PM
Correct.

demontweeks do them but i find them useless as the flange is to small
and you wont be able to get a good seal on pump. will always weep no matter wat you try.
the best way is to get a old pressure switch and break of the plastic bit then drill and tap wots left to take the oil prssure sender unit. that way you can get a good seal on pump

jimbob-mcgrew
12-03-09, 02:30 AM
i think its a smart piece of diagnostic equiptment thats running 24/7.
it'll let u know if theres any oil leaks or a blown head gasket, blocked pickup pipe and to a certain degree, oil level. kinda gives u an idea of whats going on internally and monitors that for u constantly. worth getting one for any car thats gonna get a ragging from time to time.

Mike
12-03-09, 06:59 PM
demontweeks do them but i find them useless as the flange is to small
and you wont be able to get a good seal on pump. will always weep no matter wat you try.
the best way is to get a old pressure switch and break of the plastic bit then drill and tap wots left to take the oil prssure sender unit. that way you can get a good seal on pump

Its all sorted now, and has been for some time. Mine wasnt for use with a gauge, I just needed a fitting for an extra oil feed and resorted to Ford parts in the end for a pefect fit :thumb: