PDA

View Full Version : an expensive exhaust lol

novaluxeplus
09-03-09, 11:38 PM
hi i took my nova to get an exhaust welded on then took it back the next day as the mechanic said my brake pipes were about to pop lol (mechanic is my gf's dad so he dont like her in knackered car lol) and then got told my steering rack is also on its last legs

i can get umpteen racks from corsas but no novas in scrappies around me am i right in thinking a corsa rack will fit??

thanks

StuartWilson
09-03-09, 11:42 PM
Yes and no, the main body of the corsa rack is the same size, but the "drumsticks" are longer on the corsa. If its a very early corsa rack the drum sticks could be a straight swap. On later one they are not, as one is female thread the other is male, can't remember which way round.
How about putting a quick rack in? Iain at Eurorally has a couple for sale at the moment

novaluxeplus
09-03-09, 11:46 PM
i know there is a corsa in the scrap yard closest its a van 1.4i same as my nova its on a n reg if thats any help

how much are the quick racks??

novaluxeplus
10-03-09, 12:03 AM
i know that mine is broken on the drivers side something about the arm is coming too far out the rack how would i tell if the corsa one was the same what do i need to look at??

maxlee
10-03-09, 12:40 AM
i wouldn't take my car back there :lol:

novaluxeplus
10-03-09, 12:46 AM
that would be a good idea lol thanks lol

brainsnova
10-03-09, 12:51 AM
time for a new girlfriend lol

novaluxeplus
10-03-09, 12:56 AM
no she has v6 power and i only got 1.4 atm lol

novaluxeplus
10-03-09, 12:58 AM
oh yeah and i guess i like her too lol

StuartWilson
10-03-09, 07:42 AM
i know that mine is broken on the drivers side something about the arm is coming too far out the rack how would i tell if the corsa one was the same what do i need to look at??

To tell pull the gaiter off the rack housing, disconect the track rod end, turn the steering to full lock so the end you've taken the gaiter off is sticking out. The "drumstick" then unsrews from the end of the rack, I think the nova rack has a female thread, therfore the drumstick will be male. The corsa is the other way round. rack male, drumstick female.
Hope that makes sense to you

Quick rack from Eurorallye £100 plus carriage, I've nothing to do with Eurorallye just a customer

AlexW
10-03-09, 11:10 AM
You can get brand new nova racks for bugger all (£30ish iirc)

Motor factors/ebay.

Graeme
10-03-09, 11:53 AM
My new rack was 45 quid with track rod ends, service exchange, hardly worth going and taking one of a scrapper when it could in worse condition than the one you already have

draper
10-03-09, 12:00 PM
a corsa wont fit anyway

as said new rack are pennies

novaluxeplus
10-03-09, 12:47 PM
thanks yeah i just priced a new one and is 24 plus vat lol thought it would have been a lot more than that like thanks alot :) :) :thumb:

GRUNT 16V
10-03-09, 01:04 PM
Just Go And Buy A Recon Rack Should Cost About £25 + Vat

L14MNP
10-03-09, 01:44 PM
Drumsticks? lol I've only ever heard them called track rods.

As said, recon FTW.

loggyboy
10-03-09, 01:45 PM
Yes and no, the main body of the corsa rack is the same size, but the "drumsticks" are longer on the corsa. If its a very early corsa rack the drum sticks could be a straight swap. On later one they are not, as one is female thread the other is male, can't remember which way round.
How about putting a quick rack in? Iain at Eurorally has a couple for sale at the moment

My rack came from one of the latest Corsa Bs (one with EPAS) and my trackarms swapped over no probs.

a corsa wont fit anyway

They will, its only the track arms that are wider/longer.

GRUNT 16V
10-03-09, 03:05 PM
The Proper Term Is Called Tie Rods

Paul
10-03-09, 04:41 PM
new rack os like £50-60ish with new track rod ends and polybushes