PDA

View Full Version : how hard

DEE'S NOVA
06-01-03, 11:18 AM
right i will be gettin a full respray on the girlfriends nova but it needs a new door the colour of her gte is grey like the one in tv this month but it needs a new driver door but if i was to get a red,white or what ever if i can't get the same colour. so when it comes to respaying, will the door not come out a different shade from the rest of the car?SO what is the way round this to get a perfect match ?

ohh and it has black wings to as i gave it a face lift(mk2 front) :roll:

apples
06-01-03, 11:26 PM
metallics can be sprayed differently to suit. if yours is a dark shade you need spray it slightly wetter, if its a light shade spray it lightly and so on.
basically you need to play about adjusting the flow of air and paint and the way it is applied.
alternatively you can lose the colour into the quarter and the wing then finish with laquer to the edge of the panels.

brian
07-01-03, 12:01 AM
assuming you use the right base colour to suit the colour going on to the door and likewise with the rest of the car will it not match up ok?
i don't paint but im just wondering! :?

DEE'S NOVA
09-01-03, 01:21 PM
brian, do you mean if i get a red door i should spray it grey first then rub it down with the rest of the car and spray it over again when the whole car get's done?

brian
09-01-03, 07:40 PM
Kinda! lets say you fit a "red" door and the car is gonna be silver. Some one else might be able to tell ya this but.... silver might not cover to well on red so there might be a base colour to apply first on the door only and the car would then be painted altogether.
Just tryin to say some colours don't cover too well on others and once your door is prep'd right it should all come out ok!!

apples
09-01-03, 09:56 PM
sorry mate, i miss read your question - it was late.
regardless of the colour of your panels a decent painter, whos not going to skimp on paint, will finish with same colour all over.

DEE'S NOVA
10-01-03, 01:38 PM
right because i don't have much cash i have been doing her car bit by bit and it will be my m8 who'll spray it he has done spraying in colledge and is now in arnold clark spraying but he ain't finished his apprentiship but his detailing to preping is good as he'll filler and sand down for hours till it's right.And for where it's gettin sprayed is a back street garage owned buy a few guys i know so there is no fancy both to do this in it's gettin done in the garage and there this big comet heater thing there which we will use to try and bake it so hopefully it'll turn out not bad but i know it won't be a feature car as i have second hand winhs wich have dents so need to fill tem but you proberly a small dent or 2 when painted

man i went to reply and wrote a story :roll:

and apples it's cool man

ade
15-01-03, 12:21 AM
A decent (even an apprenticew sprayer will make it match no probs.

They will sand most of main colour back (so if red sand to pink), then apply a good base primer (base coat) to neutralise most of the existing colour leaving a fresh canvas to work on.

Ade

DEE'S NOVA
16-01-03, 03:52 PM
ade you know ur getting recruited for this don't you :lol: then once it's finished i can take it to a meet with all you guys and can show the way it started