09-03-09, 07:11 PM
http://pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=19497
GM facing bankruptcy :eek:

let_nova
09-03-09, 07:13 PM
they will get bailed out by goverment

ade
09-03-09, 07:15 PM
so are most of the big car manufacturers.

Cant see a company as large as GM going under though - same as Ford - they're so massive to the economy of places like Anmeruica and the tidal wave of unemployment that would ensue from dealers, parts manufacturers etc it would be utterly catstrophic.

There'll be told to streamline their operations to such an extent that they will be pitiful shells of their former selves but in the long term it will mean cheaper cars for all of us.

Have to say though - I'd hate to work in the car inductry just now - must be horrible not knowing whats happening...

let_nova
09-03-09, 07:17 PM
Anmeruica

ade.......is this a new place?lol

Mike
09-03-09, 07:22 PM
Catastrophic for several nations if GM does go under!

NathanSRi
09-03-09, 07:26 PM
ade.......is this a new place?lol
lol

Ash
09-03-09, 08:01 PM
How long has this been known?

If GM were allowed to fall then they would take a lot of people with them. I'm sure I read/heard that GM actual manufacture 55% of the parts for Ford, among other companies.

wilson_sri
09-03-09, 08:02 PM
Cheap parts?

Ash
09-03-09, 08:07 PM
Cheap parts?

Probably expensive parts. They want be made any more. Same as when Rover/MG went bust. The company I work for used to be a Rover dealer and now still carries the parts, but my god there expensive!

blue_peg_16v
09-03-09, 08:16 PM
cheaper cars, as people will be scared to have them due to part supply, which means if you own a newer vauxhall you will have even greater depreciation

Jack
09-03-09, 08:17 PM
Jesus, for a moment there I thought my computer had turned into a time machine lol

This is old news. GM has been wobbly for a while, but they won't go bankrupt - yet. The US gov't will pay through the nose to keep them afloat, and even if they did face severe trouble, they'd start selling things - shares in Daewoo, Fiat and Suzuki would be the first to go.

I would expect BMW, possibly Toyota to be interested in Opel/GM/Holden buyout.

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 08:31 PM
Saab, IIRC, are already in trouble. And yes this is slightly old news.

mowgli
09-03-09, 08:43 PM
the car companies have all been making huge money in the uk with its inflated prices for years, they weren't clever enough to work out that it would come to an end eventually....

brainsnova
09-03-09, 09:00 PM
someone should tell them to remake the nova with a xe and let as standard.

blue_peg_16v
09-03-09, 09:20 PM

no one would want one the fun is building em

Jack
09-03-09, 09:35 PM
Saab, IIRC, are already in trouble. And yes this is slightly old news.
I can imagine GM selling them off too.

And I for one would watch and laugh whilst the dealerships sold absolutely zero of them lol

dj_wudgey
09-03-09, 11:36 PM
i saw this but thought the same they will get bailed out again!!