PDA

View Full Version : Volvo S40 T4 Estate

white2lSR
09-03-09, 11:01 AM
EDIT: title should be V40 T4 Estate

Does anyone know anything about these? Im thinking about changing for an estate and this came up fairly local to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140306086336&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Shaun_O'Donnell
09-03-09, 11:07 AM
I have a V40 2.0 16v CD model and love it to bits. Bit thirsty, but other than that have no problems.

white2lSR
09-03-09, 11:10 AM
I have not expierience of Volvos. Ive run a 1999 BMW 316SE for the last 3 years and there is always something wrong with it! Plus we have to strip the little uns pram down to fit it in the boot! Its also very thursty and slow as sh*t!

Shaun_O'Donnell
09-03-09, 11:16 AM
The boot space is huge, we used to keep the pram in there to save it clogging up the house, can still fit a full weeks shopping in there as well.

Ensure the heated seats work as they're awesome, check the air-con works and check the history for timing belt renewal as it's an engine mount off job to do.

They're heavy cars so check the state of the brakes, I replaced the discs and pads on mine for piece of mind. Easiest brakes I've ever worked on.

Geordie-Chris
09-03-09, 11:34 AM
I work at a Volvo main dealer. Check the brake pipes, they rot really bad, especially above the fuel filter cover and up the back of the fuel tank. Check the rear coil springs, they always break near the bottom. As already mentioned check the history for belt change etc, although there not that to change. Check for the usual smoke etc, turbos have been known to go. The rear suspension has link arms which the bushes always go in too, gives a creaking noise, and the trailing arm bushes split on the earlier ones.
Generally very reliable cars, and quite quick too!! People are getting over 500bhp out of them if your interested in tuning it too, lol!

white2lSR
09-03-09, 01:11 PM
Very promising then. Hope i get offered a good price for my car!

white2lSR
10-03-09, 07:23 PM
Looks like im getting this (fingers crossed) Ill definately be getting the ECU chipped as this will take it from 200HP to 237HP. Thats a lot of HP for not a lot of money, about £420 :thumb:

Geordie-Chris
11-03-09, 12:02 AM
Sounds good mate, £420 for the car, or the remap?? Keep an eye on the speedo, you'll not realize how fast your going as it'll be effortless and smooth!! A lad at work had one and got stopped at 120+ with his mum in the car, got raped in the courts, LOL!

white2lSR
11-03-09, 12:03 AM
Sounds good mate, £420 for the car, or the remap?? Keep an eye on the speedo, you'll not realize how fast your going as it'll be effortless and smooth!! A lad at work had one and got stopped at 120+ with his mum in the car, got raped in the courts, LOL!

£420 for the re-map

Sloth
11-03-09, 12:19 AM
i have seen two with rod 4 out the back, but only at high mileage. there simple to work on and cheap nuff, go for it!