PDA

View Full Version : Are Arp Rod Bolts Re Usable?

*Dave*
08-03-09, 11:35 PM
hi got arp rod bolts in my c20xe which is now knocking and smoking, due to cheap oil pump(failure).

iv had the bolts in the engine since december, and i have just got another engine.

can/should i swap the arp rod bolts over to the good engine?

cheers.:thumb:

Adam
08-03-09, 11:36 PM
As long as they've not stretched past there limits yes

*Dave*
09-03-09, 04:24 PM
what is the torque setting for arp rod bolts?

i no longer have the instruction they came in.

Dinoman
09-03-09, 04:50 PM
hi got arp rod bolts in my c20xe which is now knocking and smoking, due to cheap oil pump(failure).

iv had the bolts in the engine since december, and i have just got another engine.

can/should i swap the arp rod bolts over to the good engine?

cheers.:thumb:

Hi with any bolts if they are subjected to abnormal cyclitical loads like you get when your bearings melt and you can hear them knocking then you are advised to bin them as they will not be far from their fatigue limit, I hope that helps, Regards DM

*Dave*
09-03-09, 05:47 PM
Hi with any bolts if they are subjected to abnormal cyclitical loads like you get when your bearings melt and you can hear them knocking then you are advised to bin them as they will not be far from their fatigue limit, I hope that helps, Regards DM

so should i replace them or even just use standard bolts?

mayhem
09-03-09, 05:48 PM
tighten 3 times (with new lube) at 32ft lbs

mayhem
09-03-09, 05:51 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/mayhem22/arpbouten.jpg

ck
11-03-09, 04:34 PM
ARP advise that if your thinking about re-using them you have to measure the length of each bolt before fitting (when new) and then when re-using them u gotto re-measure each bolt again and go by your reference of when they were new and u measured them. basically you have to determine how much each individual bolt has stretched and if too far them bin them.

So this would mean if they have never been measured when new and are now used u gotto bin them...

Dinoman
11-03-09, 11:39 PM
so should i replace them or even just use standard bolts?

Yes replace, with new ARP's or Std are fine for a std engine upto 200 BHP,OK, Regards DM

jimbob-mcgrew
12-03-09, 02:36 AM
ive been told they stretch like head bolts and can only be used once. prob get away with tightening them some more, but is it worth the risk of dropping a rod i dunno ?

mayhem
12-03-09, 04:14 PM
^^ thats with OEM bolts