PDA

View Full Version : Corsa 2l poss buy

D4VE
08-03-09, 10:36 PM
Hi,

After some advice from you guys.

Lookin at buying a mates corsa 2l redtop conversion. I believe its on a 1.6 log book. Condition is ok, but i want something to play with as i have a BMW z3.

What is the insurance like for engine conversion cars? (im 22, with 5 years no claims.) and what insurance groups are useful?

Also any one know the complications on changing log book and cost?

Thanks for your help in advance

Dave :thumb:

Jack
09-03-09, 07:50 AM
Updating the logbook is free - simply fill out the new details (engine capacity and number) on the logbook and post to DVLA. Have a look on their website for the correct postcode to use.

They may come back asking for evidence of the change. Either an RAC/AA inspection, garage inspection, letter from the manufacturer confirming the change etc, and thats the bit that may cost you a couple of pennies.

As for insurance, try Sky (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/view.php?pg=skyinsurance). They offer a discount for club members, suffice to say you will probably end up saving more than the £10 joining fee. Have a look in the insurance forum to see what people with similar details (age, ncb, postcode area) are paying.

Peanut_119
09-03-09, 08:53 AM
does the engine change inspection have to be on letter headed paper? and if so what does the letter have to say, that its all been done properly and all that?

Jack
09-03-09, 08:59 AM
If its from a garage, yes. I can't remember the exact wording of the DVLA request, but I'm sure one of the options was just for the manufacturer (Vauxhall) to confirm that engine was in that car - i.e. you could probably get away with a letter from the local Vauxhall garage saying "confirmed engine xyz of number 123 is in car registered abc".

Peanut_119
09-03-09, 09:01 AM
oooo, so i could just take it to vauxhall and ask them to do the inspection, i thought you just ment any car/mechanics garage

Jack
09-03-09, 09:07 AM
You can take it to any garage, but the way I've read the DVLA requests that I've seen, it appears to be that any garage must provide confirmation of the safety/quality of the conversion, where as the manufacturer only has to confirm THAT engine is in THAT car.

I oculd be reading it wrong, but word for word thats my interpretation.

Peanut_119
09-03-09, 09:08 AM
ok cheers pal, i will find it on the dvla website and have a good look into it

D4VE
10-03-09, 10:16 PM
Thanks, I know Sean (Srs1) so was going to borrow him to have a quick look before i bought it. But ill keep that info in mind, thanks again.

Dave