PDA

View Full Version : 50mph National Speed Limit!!

Ste L
08-03-09, 06:37 PM
Road speed limit cut to 50mph

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5864847.ece

what are your thoughts?

bmw156
08-03-09, 06:38 PM
link not working
and if thats on all roads WTF
thats stupid

NathanSRi
isnt it only on windy country roads though?
they wont limit a motorway to 50

Mike
My thoughs are Error 404?

Ste L
08-03-09, 06:40 PM
My thoughs are Error 404?

doh - fixed lol

Bubba
08-03-09, 06:40 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5864847.ece

just go times online

thats stupid. i think 60 is a sensible speed

Mike
08-03-09, 06:42 PM
People dont like change, there will be a public out cry over nothing.

NathanSRi
08-03-09, 06:42 PM
just go times online

thats stupid. i think 60 is a sensible speed
But on windy country roads, some people don't stick to 60, if the limit was 50 they would think more and not speed as much IMO

dj_wudgey
08-03-09, 06:43 PM
thats a poo idea imo!!

Rich
08-03-09, 06:49 PM
Alot of people dont do 60 on windy roads anyway, i know because i get stuck behind them when i go for a quick fun blast!

NathanSRi
08-03-09, 06:51 PM
when i go for a quick fun blast!
my point exactly

blue_peg_16v
08-03-09, 06:57 PM
nanny state strikes again weres my passport

dj_wudgey
08-03-09, 07:11 PM
nanny state strikes again weres my passport

lol i agree dude!!!

Rich
08-03-09, 07:13 PM
my point exactly

And im gonna slow down now? Not really. Its not going to change anything imo, just more money earnt by pigs with nothing better to do.

Al3x
08-03-09, 07:19 PM
And im gonna slow down now? Not really. Its not going to change anything imo, just more money earnt by pigs with nothing better to do.

amen. lol

dj_wudgey
08-03-09, 07:20 PM

yea thats what i think they put to much money into screwing motorists and not enough cathcing real criminals!!

blue_peg_16v
08-03-09, 07:27 PM
well the government needs to make some money after all the hand outs its given banks looks like the poor motorist is gonna be hit again

dj_wudgey
08-03-09, 07:28 PM
well the government needs to make some money after all the hand outs its given banks looks like the poor motorist is gonna be hit again

yea no doubt that to be true matey!!

mowgli
08-03-09, 07:38 PM
I'm assuming its aimed at A & B roads........

round hinckley, the vast majority of deaths have occured on only 3 A roads, and usually repeatedly on the same blackspots....

a large number of these deaths have been motorbikes...........

so they go after the cars again.

if this government was serious about cutting road deaths, it would limit car performance via taxing the manufacturers, and making it almost impossible for young drivers to drive high powered, modified cars, maybe making the mot tougher.

but as usual, the majority get punished for the minority

General Baxter
08-03-09, 07:43 PM
if this government was serious about cutting road deaths, it would limit car performance via taxing the manufacturers, and making it almost impossible for young drivers to drive high powered, modified cars, maybe making the mot tougher.

all ways away around it tho

iv just got my log book back 3 weeks ago with the 1.4 engine on it, that took 6 months, fitted the 1.6 and the tax form has just come threw with 1196cc (or something) like that on it,
its insured as a 1.6 so im thinking **** it lol

mowgli
08-03-09, 07:48 PM
all ways away around it tho

iv just got my log book back 3 weeks ago with the 1.4 engine on it, that took 6 months, fitted the 1.6 and the tax form has just come threw with 1196cc (or something) like that on it,
its insured as a 1.6 so im thinking **** it lol

its amazing just how the dvla can be....
they can take weeks, even months to process a simple operation, especially now new cars aren't selling.....
but, when the guinnea pigs were still being farmed near Burton on Trent, the protestors inside man was getting reg details sorted in seconds via texts, but if a rozzer tries to access the same info, it is recorded for security tracking...

Dar
08-03-09, 07:52 PM
Do they really think this will save lives? I would like to see how many of the deaths on the roads feature people breaking the speed limit. The simple truth is that those deaths would not have been prevented since they happened whilst 'the speed limit was being broken'. So a reduced speed limit won't help much.

The other deaths will be due to something else which these cameras won't catch. For example drink driving or not driving too the road conditions.

Just another blantant money making scheme IMO.

mowgli
08-03-09, 07:55 PM
read this..

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

it is fascinating.

dave.gsi
08-03-09, 08:38 PM
around here, there are only a few country roads. i will give anyone brave enough £10 to drive all the way through at 60mph.....you will die lol

they're one of my favourite roads round here though because you can pretty much go as fast as you can without fear of getting caught speeding, there is no way you could physically drive over the 60mph limit without taking your own life. taking it down to 50mph is not going to help the dumbass's who go into a blind corner at 35mph only to find out they should have took it at 15mph :thumb:

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 08:44 PM
If i pay you via paypal for that tenner..... lol ;) :p

I dont see how lowering the national speed limit will save lives? Its 60mph now and do people stick to it? No!

I havent read the whole thread BTW.

mowgli
08-03-09, 08:47 PM
the speed limit was put at 60 in 1978, before then it was 70...
anyone old enough to actually drive a car built in the mid seventies (without any mods or updates) will know that the modern stuff is light years ahead in all aspects of motoring (except co2 emissions, oddly enough) the tyre technology alone has probably halved the stopping distances.

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 08:48 PM
Makes me lol that the m/way limit is still 70mph.......

MK999
08-03-09, 08:52 PM
Should cut all the messing about out imo, make it 20mph everywhere for a week, fine us all £250, ban everyone, realise the country doesn't work any more, refund the £250, get rid of all the speed cameras and redo all the speed limits based on modern technology lol

mowgli
08-03-09, 08:53 PM
Makes me lol that the m/way limit is still 70mph.......
and that was caused cos the works cobra leMans racers tested them on the m1 & the press found out, then Barbara Castle, the minister of transport asked her chauffeur what he thought would be a safe limit.....
60's cars with drum brakes, 135 r 13 crossply tyres, no seatbelts, dampers that needed topping up every few weeks, leaf springs etc, were deemed safe to drive at 70....

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 08:57 PM
lol :roll: about time for a review then!!! Some wouldnt even know what cross ply tyres are!

mowgli
08-03-09, 09:00 PM
lol :roll: about time for a review then!!! Some wouldnt even know what cross ply tyres are!

i think a lot of racing tyres are crossply construction

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 09:02 PM
Crucial word in that sentence...racing. Not likely to see a road then....

mowgli
08-03-09, 09:14 PM
nope.. caravan tyres maybe???

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 09:15 PM
Another excuse to get the sodding things off the road then lol

mowgli
08-03-09, 09:19 PM
Another excuse to get the sodding things off the road then lol well, if we are all driving round at 50mph, then the caravans won't be a hold up.... maybe margaret beckett has got something to do with this???

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 09:21 PM
lol i bet shes a secret caravaner....weirdo..

blue_peg_16v
08-03-09, 09:45 PM
ye but they will probably say caravans and hgvs have to do 40 so will still hold us up

Ash
08-03-09, 09:46 PM
I've a couple thoughts on this... firstly what about a minimum speed limit? I don't know if theres any research into this or not, but I quite regualy see cars travelling 20 sometimes even 30mph under the speed limit. Now when your travelling along at 70mph ish in the normal lane off a dual carriage way and another car wishes to pass you in the overtaking lane (note: not fast lane) - for a short time you'll be travelling side-by-side. Come up behind someone travelling 40-50 mph then you have to slow to their speed. Doesn't sound too dangerous. What if it's round a corner, in the wet, reduced visablity, sun glare... No-one was speeding...

Another point for the minimum speed limit, is again, fuel consumption. It's known that if brakes are applied to slow for an obstical/event then 20-30 minutes later the traffic behind can be stopped dead through a domino effect of braking.

My other school of thought is to remove all speed limits and let the problem solve itself. If people can't see the risks of driving beyond their means, then.... not that I would wish that on anyone, but there is a time and a place. It's called a track!

MK999
08-03-09, 11:03 PM
Speed Limit: Darwin, sounds good to me

keithrg
08-03-09, 11:05 PM
Speed limits are for camera's and when coppers are around. Other than that its driver and vehicle abillity in relation to the conditions around you. I take note of advisory limits Ie sharp bend 30mph. If I dont know it Ill be in second gear doing less than 30mph Then again I might know it and have clear visability and now I can go round at 50mph in third gear.
Minuminum speed limit is good Idea should be no less than 5mph below limit.
50mph road, one doing 40mph, in lane one. Car in lane two doing 42mph Half a mile later they pass yeah. Do They pull other, Like f**k. Its a 50MPH limit on A major A road with no pedestrians, over head crossing and seperate cycle path. should be Fing 70mph road. Where i live this was introduced 5 years ago 70mph became 50mph roads, 60 mph roads became 40 mph limits, 40mph limits became 30mph barring 1. one 50mph road remaind 50 mph.

Jim Mcrae
08-03-09, 11:06 PM
Living in rural devon i rarely go on anyroad with and kind of speed camera, so shouldnt really effect me. Hopefully! The way forward is strict rules on younger drivers, maybe limiting their speed, i'm sure they do that in France.

Jakey Boy
09-03-09, 12:46 AM
Although there is no fixed minimum 'limit' on dual carrige ways and motor ways I'm pretty sure you'd be stopped by a patrol car for crusing at 30mph on either, in otherwise normal traffic condtions. You'd risk a dangerous driving offence, 'driving without due car and attention' or something similar.

Mopeds are banned from both.

I guess the only thing stopping a true minimum limit is the feasability of enforcing it.

What pisses me off is watching people driving at 70 with 10 meters between themselves and the car in front!!!

Still, that's nothing compared to effing morons who tailgate you while you're doing the speed limit or faster!

Does no one remember or even know about the 2 second rule anymore :tard:

The only time its necessary to perhaps be any closer is to safely over take on A (or smaller) roads.

sparkie1401
09-03-09, 01:16 AM
Does no one remember or even know about the 2 second rule anymore :tard:.

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule

Lets face it its virtually impossible to go fast any where, with cameras galore, speed traps and slleping police men

the worst things are that we r fined, receive points, the points last 4 years and you have to declare them to the insurance for 5 years how is this fair?

and those names they put on the side of the camera vans, the fact they pay a team of people to come up with these poxy names

its complete **** and is not fair to the motorist

Jack
09-03-09, 08:11 AM
I don't give a toss tbh. Nobody adheres to the 60mph limit now, so lowering it to 50 is a complete waste of time.

This did raise a LOL though:

enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras.
You're telling me the government is going to invest in hundreds of thousands of miles worth of SPECS cameras? In the middle of nowhere? Because..

Drivers will still be able to reach 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 60mph on the safest A roads.
..the most dangerous A roads, as said, are the windy little rural roads. Which nobody can hit 60 on anyway.

The new 50mph limit is intended to reduce the high death toll on rural roads, where, in 2007, 69% of car crash fatalities took place
I'm temtped to put in an FOI request to ask how many of that 69% were a direct result of travelling over 60mph. I'll bet the primary cause is road condition and/or layout.

You will never EVER stop people speeding, FACT. The only way to prevent speed is physical inhibitors on the car, for example a GPS unit which knows the speed limit on each road and adjusts the cars top speed accordingly, and thats never going to happen (or if it did, I'm going to buy shares in the IT industry as people will make a mint in disabling them lol)

[edit] I'd also just like to say, at the classified jobs ads on the side of the page - WTF. "Continuous Improvement Manager" £56k, "Senior Advisor" £74k... no wonder this country is broke

keithrg
09-03-09, 08:36 AM
Although there is no fixed minimum 'limit' on dual carrige ways and motor ways I'm pretty sure you'd be stopped by a patrol car for crusing at 30mph on either, in otherwise normal traffic condtions. You'd risk a dangerous driving offence, 'driving without due car and attention' or something similar.

Mopeds are banned from both.

I guess the only thing stopping a true minimum limit is the feasability of enforcing it.

What pisses me off is watching people driving at 70 with 10 meters between themselves and the car in front!!!

Still, that's nothing compared to effing morons who tailgate you while you're doing the speed limit or faster!

Does no one remember or even know about the 2 second rule anymore :tard:

The only time its necessary to perhaps be any closer is to safely over take on A (or smaller) roads.

Just a question please dont be offended.
Do you move to lane one when you can or do you sit in lane to driving at the speed limit or above and not move over ?
Do you get undertaken ?

Jack
09-03-09, 08:43 AM
I always keep left unless the lane is blocked or its a sliplane. The right hand lanes are only for overtaking, or turning right (the latter of which won't happen on a motorway unless its splitting up)

Stuart
09-03-09, 08:50 AM
its amazing how well you can progress by staying in lane 1 and passing all the spanners sat in 2/3/4 not passing eachother. Yes its a grey area of legality, but hell I'm making use of the road network efficiently

keithrg
09-03-09, 09:07 AM
its amazing how well you can progress by staying in lane 1 and passing all the spanners sat in 2/3/4 not passing eachother. Yes its a grey area of legality, but hell I'm making use of the road network efficiently

very true this works on A13 to Thurock from Benfleet in the mornings. STEADY 55-60 normally gets you their, quicker than other two lanes due to people lane hopping and causing people to brake all the time. I would class this as traffic their for acceptable to pass on inside.

Not like 10pm at night with DIV in lane two, doing 60-70mph thinking they own the road then some one comes down lane one at 70mph gps and has to move accross to lane two then lane three back to lane two and then back to one. They rightfully undertake. Nick the DIV person in lane two. A 400yard overtaking manouver has become a 600yard manouver.
Mean while, boy racer is doing 140mph down lane three, when a car pops out from lane one to lane three infront of him. whos to blame the Div in lane two.

MK999
09-03-09, 11:43 AM
I actually did something I've always wanted to do to a middle lane hog a couple weeks ago, some eejit in a bmw on the M25. I went from 1st to 3rd lane, overtook, slowed down and let him overtake, and did it again... 3 times and he still didn't get the message lol

Last time I managed to make someone move over to the first lane successfully I got some weird looks for looking particularly overjoyed randomly on the motorway lol

It's basically my long journey entertainment, my current record for making someone move back into lane 1... is 1 lol

Gashgusher
09-03-09, 02:46 PM
goddam i wanna leave this country

Cle
09-03-09, 02:49 PM
Personally i thing the goverment is just taking the fooking Pi$$.

dj_wudgey
09-03-09, 11:37 PM
Personally i thing the goverment is just taking the fooking Pi$$.

i do aswell hit motorists when they need extra revenue!!

L14MNP
10-03-09, 11:52 AM
Just clicked that link. FFS! I assume this now means you will find people travelling at 30mph inseatd of the usual 40 they seem to like on national speed limit roads!