PDA

View Full Version : Bad Steering vibration

Annie
08-03-09, 02:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?
For the last few weeks I've getting a bad steering vibration That comes & goes. Its driving me nuts one min its fine then starts then stops. I've got my mot in 2 weeks. My bf has replaced the following parts yesterday for the mot. X2 Cv boots, 2x Ball Joints, Topmounts, Tracking, Wheel Balance. My bf thought maybe an engine mount. Has anyone even had the same problem? Thanks.

mowgli
08-03-09, 03:21 PM
seized caliper??

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 03:45 PM
I'd say tracking but if you've had it done....

Wheel bearing? Bubble in your tyre?

Check all relevant mounts are tight i.e rack, engine, gearbox.

Asa-James
08-03-09, 04:54 PM
does it come and go relative to the speed your doing? i.e between 40 and 60? of iis it just general?

stevie-p
08-03-09, 05:01 PM
mine does it due to tracking being out and under hard braking and warped disks

let_nova
08-03-09, 05:04 PM
i would check if a wieght has fallen off after he has balanced or they maybe incorrectly balanced.

Tim-SR
08-03-09, 05:05 PM
mine has been doing the same this ever since i replaced the wheel bearing i though it was warped discs but that didnt solve anything, as said before it could be a seized caliper.

Annie
08-03-09, 05:07 PM
does it come and go relative to the speed your doing? i.e between 40 and 60? of iis it just general?

When It first started it was between 40 & 50 but now it comes & goes at whatever speed I'm doing like today I drove 40 odd miles all fine then I was in traffic doing around 20 & it started then stopped 5mins later. Its driving me mad as I dont have much money to fix the problem hence trying to pin point it.

stevie-p
08-03-09, 05:09 PM
i also had a problem with my steering once i out the o/s/r wheel on the o/s/f it was playing up and wondering all over the place it only made the vibrations worse but was not the cause

Annie
08-03-09, 05:10 PM
mine has been doing the same this ever since i replaced the wheel bearing i though it was warped discs but that didnt solve anything, as said before it could be a seized caliper.

Had new disc's & pads aug last year/ had the balancing checked yest Have also tried another set of wheels. Some one said maybe the inner cv joint.

Annie
08-03-09, 05:11 PM

Surely with a seized caliper The steering would pull to the left or right?

let_nova
08-03-09, 05:12 PM
if it has been siezed the disc may be warped therefor causing the vibration.

stevie-p
08-03-09, 05:12 PM
Surely with a seized caliper The steering would pull to the left or right?

under braking it should but it all depends

Jay
08-03-09, 05:15 PM
Tracking problems won't cause your steering to vibrate. Will likely be wheel balancing imo.

Asa-James
08-03-09, 05:29 PM
i'd say wheel balancing, but if its coming and going at random i'd be tempted to look elsewhere. and ust because its had new d's and p's desnt mean the caliper wont be siezed. they tend to sieze on the sliders, might be worth a quick strip down and see if it moves nice and free. if not then you can pick up a slider replacement set for not much (my local halfrauds stocks them, i bought mine off ebay, listed as for a mk2 cavalier)

Ash
08-03-09, 07:45 PM
My money is on a sticky slider, if it's on the orginial AC Delco capliers I'm surprised it hasn't before! As said above. Strip it down and rebuild, or see what Vauxhall will do on a replacement, with handing your old knackered one back. I got two brand new ATE 2.0 16v items for just over £80 from them ;)

One little AC Delco should be cheapy cheap :thumb:

Worth double checking the discs as well, they could well of warped by now

meritlover
08-03-09, 08:02 PM
please check you have no inner wing or cross memeber cracks

clemo
08-03-09, 08:16 PM
could be inner cv joint but that would normally do it all the time not intermittantly. i would tend to agree with tim it is most probably a sticking calliper i had a similar problem on an old bmw one of the callipers would stick occasionally which got the disc hot and as it got hotter the speed in which it would do it gradually got lower.

the best way to tell if it is the calliper is as you come to stop and are down to about 5mph dont touch the brake normally the car will roll quite a bit before stopping but if the brake is sticking it will probably stop quite quickly like you are pressing the brake

meritlover
08-03-09, 08:20 PM
please check the back of the discs and the hubs are clean, as well as the back of the wheel. and also check the counter-sunk screw that holds the disc on to the hub is sitting flush and not causing the wheel to sit at an angle.

thank you.