PDA

View Full Version : brawn gp what chance do they have????

mowgli
08-03-09, 10:45 AM
http://www.brawngp.com/index.php

they are in business, have merc engines, a new chassis & set of rules.......

but no news on title sponsor or any others for that matter

what chance do you give them????

Saloony
08-03-09, 10:51 AM
You dont have an option for 'who cares F1 is boring' lol

mowgli
08-03-09, 11:00 AM
how is it boring then??

please explain how it is any worse than any other racing formulae? it simply uses the rule that the fastest wins

btcc use reversed grids....
american racing (nascar, indy) use safety cars to bunch up the grid every time someone looks like winning
wtcc & dtm use 'success' ballast
rallying on tv is just crap & is on dave channel 12 at 3am
anything involving RED BULL is contrived and not real sport, ie the X games.

the nearest thing is moto gp, which is exciting.

discuss

Rick Draper
08-03-09, 01:43 PM
I think they will go quite well, Brawn would not have got involved with a lame duck imho.

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 01:50 PM
I would like to think they would do well. I cant help feeling though, that they will be playing catch up this season. Getting things finalised less than a month till seson kick off isnt going to help. BUT, Brawn is IMO has his finger on the pulse. Using Mercedes Benz engines should give them a fighting chance. Also Hopefully Button will have abit of fire in his belly now after nearly not having a drive. I did see on crash.net that Rubens may get the other seat? WTF??? Senna/Buemi FTW IMO.

Rick Draper
08-03-09, 01:53 PM
Rubens has got the other seat.

Pistol Pete
how is it boring then??

please explain how it is any worse than any other racing formulae? it simply uses the rule that the fastest wins

btcc use reversed grids....
american racing (nascar, indy) use safety cars to bunch up the grid every time someone looks like winning
wtcc & dtm use 'success' ballast
rallying on tv is just crap & is on dave channel 12 at 3am

the nearest thing is moto gp, which is exciting.

discuss

Erm...not quite. Have you seen the line up for this seasons WSB championships (kicked off last weekend in Phillip Island) :eek: Brits ahoy....BUT I will be watching MotoGP aswell.

Pistol Pete
Rubens has got the other seat.

lol good old crash.net. Any news on who has? Or is it a money saving excersie to field one driver?

mowgli
08-03-09, 03:16 PM
Erm...not quite. Have you seen the line up for this seasons WSB championships (kicked off last weekend in Phillip Island) :eek: Brits ahoy....BUT I will be watching MotoGP aswell.

did you watch last years moto gp at Laguna Seca. my missus, who is not normally a fan of bike racing was leaping round the room when watching it.

I have gone off superbikes a bit, on my cable package, it got harder to watch.

Bubba
08-03-09, 04:01 PM
BTCC ftw :D

Asa-James
08-03-09, 04:36 PM

discuss

good job ther isnt teams like red bull racing and torro rosso in f1 then...:roll:

but back on topic, they should do alright. i wouldnt say champions or anything, but it should be interesting to see them race, and i cant wait to see how the new aero rules for this season work out

twistysnovagte
08-03-09, 04:45 PM
burgo the new face of f1

mowgli
08-03-09, 05:41 PM
good job ther isnt teams like red bull racing and torro rosso in f1 then...:roll:

propping up the midfield each week, apart from that wet win, is hardly winning, is it????

the best combo last year by far in the redbull/toro rosso stable was Sebastian Vettel in the ferrari engined one.... it whalloped the renault version, so this year he is in the renault version.... ferrari was as much as 30hp ahead of the renault last year, so where is the logic????????

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 05:44 PM
I have to agree mowgli..no sense in Vettel going to Red Bull. Anyway...

Any clues as to who the second driver is?

Rick Draper
08-03-09, 06:26 PM
Any clues as to who the second driver is?

Its Rubens.

Stuart
08-03-09, 06:29 PM
V8 Supercars and Utes FTW!!!!!

chimp007_uk
08-03-09, 07:33 PM
Will try and get up some pics i've taken today of the "brawn gp" outfit... Looking forward to seeing them go tomorrow in testing.

I think/hope they'll do well, got alot of doubters out there!

dj_wudgey
08-03-09, 07:37 PM
You dont have an option for 'who cares F1 is boring' lol

im with you watch rallying touring car ect over it any day!!

blue_peg_16v
havent honda been developing the car for this year all last year, and didnt bother with last year as they new the car was lame with all the extra development time the car should hopefully be competative this year, still think it will be ferrari and meclaren fighting for the championship with perhapse bmw and renault just behind, a few podiums would be an excelent first year for brawn imo

dj_wudgey
V8 Supercars and Utes FTW!!!!!

v8 supercars kick ass!!!

mowgli
08-03-09, 07:43 PM
v8 supercars kick ass!!!

have you seen those little support race cars? they are similar to the legends midget racers but have touring car type bodies... they look a blast

Dar
08-03-09, 08:17 PM
I honestly haven't got a clue as to how well they will go, but I am glad they are in it. I have a feeling BMW will be up with the McLarens & Ferraris.

I will be watching with renewed intrest this year. I am really curious as to how the cars will go.

blue_peg_16v
08-03-09, 08:20 PM
im hoping williams can improve a sad sight seeing them scrambling for 8th place and a point when you consider there not to distant past

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 01:07 PM
They look pretty competitive as well when you think the car has only had a quick shakedown.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73631

Gashgusher
09-03-09, 02:34 PM
new F1 teams virtually always mean one thing: mid to bottom table reults and reliability issues. first couple seasons will be the proof, decent engines and a brilliant team principal will have them progressing well i think, but F1 is all about development and pushing the envelope, so its always hard for newbies. it can be done though, the jackie stewart cars ended up pretty competetive after a few years, although they got shafted when Jag took over.

basically, good luck to brawn GP, hope they do well and all, but wont be holdin my breath for them til 2011 at least.

p.s. btcc is and always will be my forst love. there's no substitute for racing closed wheel formulas (inc. wtcc, dtm and australian v8's) and the fact that everyone can relate to the vehicles that theyre based on

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 03:27 PM
Its not really a new team though is it.....

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 03:54 PM
They look pretty competitive as well when you think the car has only had a quick shakedown.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73631

That inspires confidence...but would like to see more times to compare.

lol cars look so odd with those skinny rear wings.

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 05:22 PM
Todays final times

1. N. Heidfeld 1:20.338-96v
2. K. Raikkonen 1:20.908-81v
3. Trulli 1:20.937-121v
4. Button 1:21.140-82v
5. Piquet 1:21.662-126v
6. Bourdais 1:22.158-86v
7. Webber 1:22.246-117v
8. Sutil 1:22.452-119v
9. Nakajima 1:22.813-111v
10. Kovalainen 1:22.948-90v

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 06:15 PM
Ooooh, now that is interesting! Massa, Alonso, Hamilton to name but a few are missing though. Still, lets not take anything away from Button.

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 07:01 PM
Not that bad really for there first real test. Mclaren are slow and struggling.

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 08:03 PM
True. Hopefully it will continue throughout the season.

Yeah had seen elsewhere that McLaren was struggling.....few weeks to go till start of the season though.

mowgli
09-03-09, 08:18 PM
Ron Dennis has for years poured scorn on the 'winter championship'. they have a scientific testing schedule & they will stick to it. its not like the bad of days when Mansell would always go out on a flier with no fuel in to get the fastest lap of the test just for psychological gain.

i have an inkling that come melbourne, they will be fairly rapid

blue_peg_16v
09-03-09, 08:23 PM
even though he was 4th he was still 0.8 seconds of the fastest pace thats about 40 secs behind over full race distance, but dont beleive winter testing gives a true reflection of actual pace, alot of teams dont want to show there hand so the first time we will truely see relavant pace will be at the end of the month in the first race

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 08:29 PM
Never really pay much attention to winter progress in any motorsport TBH. As the say in MX, when the gate drops, the bull**** stops!

chimp007_uk
09-03-09, 08:35 PM
I've been working with Mclaren today, and I hope they can sort it out... They are struggling!

Good to see Brawn GP put in some good times :)

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 08:36 PM
I have a strong belief that Mclaren will struggle. They are still running a 2008 rear wing and have been spotted recently running aero spray on there cars. Its the first real time there car has had to deviate away from a Newey design and i think they might well have **** out and be back where they were....

chimp007_uk
09-03-09, 08:38 PM
They are still running a 2008 rear wing

Its the 2009 rear wing.

mowgli
09-03-09, 08:41 PM
they ran the 08 wing in the first tests that were also very wet.......

there are just too many variables this year, the slicks, new adjustable wings, Kers, no refueling stops. most clever teams will be doing tons of full tank running to try & work out the full race distance balance issues. it will be fascinating & then ferrari will be fastest in oz

chimp007_uk
09-03-09, 08:43 PM
They've run they're 09 rear wing since jerez, and there are fuel stops this year.

They should have froze last years car, dropped the rpm limit and added the slicks, but they wanted to reduce speed so needs must.

mowgli
09-03-09, 08:53 PM
my bad, its next year for the refueling thing..

the move to mechanical grip instead of aerodynamic grip has been a long time coming..

now if the fia wanted to really limit cost, they would make the teams homologate 3 body styles, high, medium, & low downforce by feb 1st, and then those would be used at meetings as prescribed by the fia, thus saving humungus amounts of in season aero work.

to slow the cars down, they could make standard front & rear wings & supply them to the teams.

Rick Draper
09-03-09, 09:43 PM
Only on day 3 at Jerez did they refit the 2009 rear wing, and even now they keep dropping it back on. Hamilton dropped the new 2009 spec rear winged car the other day into the barriers.

AlanH
09-03-09, 10:37 PM
big fan of f1 myself, great to see button getting a drive, dont think their car will be that far off the mark, as blue peg said the whole of last year was spent developing that car basically and brawn knows what makes a winning car. if they werent gonna be competitive in the first few seasons he wouldnt be there. Would like to see the new rules meaning closer racing and more overtaking and alonso and renault do well, not a fan of hamilton. as for motoGP some of the races are much more exciting than F1, but has its dull ones same as F1, would like to see toseland on a factory bike.

Pistol Pete
09-03-09, 10:40 PM
Cant wait for the start of F1 (29th of March BTW lol)

I will be following WSB alot more closely than MotoGP this year TBH.