PDA

View Full Version : Nova merit 1.2 carb problems/options.

Crumpet
07-03-09, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

I need help with my nova 1.2 merit. i bought the car and it ran fine was out in it all day and then left it for a few days and thats when the problem started.

the car fires up and runs on choke but once you put the choke in it cuts out.

it has a Pierburg 1b carb,

the plugs are in real good condition, arm and leads have been changed cap is fine.

does anyone know how i can basic set this carb up or if i was to get rid of it what are my options, is the sr 1.3 carb and inlet the only solution???

thanks for any advice.:thumb:

bola
07-03-09, 08:42 PM
How long are you leaving it before pushing the choke back in? Iirc theres an adjustment screw on it do adjust the air/fuel mix on tickover. Try looking in a haynes manual as i think they show the carb in detail and how to adjust etc.

meritlover
07-03-09, 08:45 PM
check for air leaks before you adjust anything, this includes breather and vacuum hoses as well as the carburettor base gasket or even manifold gasket.

mowgli
08-03-09, 08:22 AM
the choke cable can slip near the carb.
check the distributor timing as well

loggyboy
08-03-09, 09:12 AM
pierburgs suck.. go weber

Crumpet
08-03-09, 09:44 AM
thank you for your replies people,

im getting vacum, fuel and spark.

when i bought the car it ran fine all of that day, then i left it for a few days the car had been sitting for a month before i bought it, iv cleaned all the carb up carb cleaner/petrol/redex. it runs with the choke on but when you shut it it dies ( i do let the car warm up ).

the car is such a mint little nova i dont want to get rid of it but i dont want be throwing money at what was supposed to be a cheap runaround,

ive altered the choke cable as i heard that from someone else also that they can slip, to be honest the carb looks quite new i mean i dont think its original to the 88 car,

im going to p about with it a bit more today but what are my alternatives carb wise???

from what iv read so far its a sr carb and inlet??????:confused:

jimbob-mcgrew
08-03-09, 06:07 PM
theres a small flathead screw in a slight enclosure on the 1b carb facing out at a south-westerly point, as u stand facing the engine bay. you can see it dead easy with the airbox removed, have a tinker with that screw, mine ran like a bag of poo and was idling really high when i bought it. i spent 5 mins fine tuning that screw, and its starts and runs a good 50% better now. also the oil breather pipe that comes up and connects to the underside of the airbox (the larger of the 2 pipes) mine was very thickly clogged in oil/water gunge, pushed aload of tissue balls thru it multiple times to clear it out, that helped out quite a bit too. also hows your exhaust, my rear silencer was on at a pissed angle (when i say pissed it was vibrating on the rear bumper and had warn some plastic away) and that further effected the running. once i did all those bits, it felt like id gained about 10 horse and it runs a whole lot better now.

jimbob-mcgrew
08-03-09, 06:10 PM
hmm, another thing that springs to mind.. clogged fuel filter possibly ?
might not be able to pull enough fule thru when the revs are so low.

Sloth
08-03-09, 06:22 PM
the 1b1 is a direct copy of a weber, it works fine, its its big brother the 2e3 that ha sissues, set it up as per the haynes and it will be fine

Leeboo
08-03-09, 07:13 PM
I've been ar$ing about today trying to get my 1.2 carb engine going right (engine had sat nearly a year), mine was bogging down, spitting out of the carb and would die out.

I held bit of rev on it and sprayed a few doses of carb cleaner into the carb, a sanded the end of the plugs (til i replace them) as they were black and one was wet. Then Iadjusted the idle up a bit, and it has now cleared itself!!!

These seems to be good sharp engines for a 1.2!

Crumpet
08-03-09, 10:53 PM
cheers Jimbob,

yeh i've p'd about with the idle mixture screw but its not curing anything with the choke off, i dont even get a chance to have it slightly running with the choke off to get any adjustment.

i have a haynes on its way,

i know what you mean about the breather but i didint think it could effect such a basic little motor, so that will be next to clean out.

i been eyeing up the fuel pump too, that might be next to be replaced.

this car was flying about allday the day i bought it and then after being left for a few days it plays up ????????????????

im so eager to get this up and running aargh! got wheel ideas interior ideas,

Leeboo
09-03-09, 09:36 AM
I doubt the pump is at fault, there isn't much that can go wrong with a carb mechanical fuel pump.

Crumpet
09-03-09, 06:04 PM
Really? not even crap building up in them over time? mine looks original.

i've orded 1 earlier today. when i pushed the leads in to make sure they have good contact when i did the one to the coil the car tried to die, so i pushed the multiplug to the coil and it tried to again, could this be the culprit not producing enough juice?

well im waiting on my ebay bargain haynes manuals to arrive so i can set the carb up properly and rule it out/fix it. luckily theres not much else i can replace other then the coil an get a new dizzy cap.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-03-09, 08:54 PM
u mentioned it was spitting out the carb. backfiring from it ?
does this when the HT leads are plugged into the wrong sparkplugs, if youve had them off at all that is.

an old fiesta of mine did this once back in the day after a bit of a carb & ignition overhaul. engine kept firing up, spitting flames out the carb, running rough and wouldnt idle. in the end i back-tracked everything, and realised i had 2 of the HT leads in the wrong place, im amazed it managed to just about run on 2 cyclinders.

most likely not your problem, but i thought id mention it incase you had those symptoms.

when the cars running, have a look down into the carb, is the fuel spray from the jet nice and consistent ? if its dribbly, somet aint right.

as far as your mechanical pump goes, i pulled one off a nova earlier on, and realised how they work. as the cam spins round it presses the plunger thing on the underside of the pump and fuel gets ejected out towards the carb. they contain serious amounts of fuel, i was pumping the thing for about 20 seconds and hefty metre long lines of fuel were blasting out all over the shop. the backside bolt of the 2 that secure it down is a coont to get out, i left blood all over the bay fiddling about with that lol.

Crumpet
10-03-09, 11:27 AM
Hahahahaha,

the carb doesnt spit or backfire, the leads were taken off and replaced 1 at a time. the car purrs on choke and you wouldnt think there was anything wrong with it its just when you put the choke in it dies, which suggests to me that it's not getting enough fuel or the spark is too weak??????????? when i first checked the plugs they super clean going to check them again today.

you can't drive the car on choke though as when you come to junctions it cuts out ( theres plenty of fuel in the car ).

oh yeh i checked the breather too hoping to find loads of gunge but no, clean as can be.

Crumpet
11-03-09, 12:16 PM
got my haynes manuals today, make no sense both talk about setting up with the car idling but it wont idle! what a load of Boll o cks!

jimbob-mcgrew
12-03-09, 02:48 AM
lol sh1t, that screw on the carb i was talkin about earlier, try turning it anti-clockwise about 2 or 3 revolutions (i think that ups revs) clockwise downs it (i think) might make it idle ok enough for u to set it up, if not, if all fails, i have a 1b carb here ive just taken off a 1200 that i can sell u for £15 plus postage.

edit : just noticed u said the plugs were super clean, there not normally, usually covered in something, sounds like its running a tad lean, which might explain the cutting out on idle.

Crumpet
12-03-09, 05:26 AM
holy sh it Jimbob, your up as late as me!!!!

yeh the mixture screw is altering the running but enough to have the choke off, if you touch the choke flap slightly it wants to cut out,

the car ran fine then was left for 2 days then wouldnt run properly ( it was when we had that really bad weather ) thats when i checked the plugs and they were superduper clean, if it was running lean that wouldnt make it stop over night and run perfect before hand???????

i really dont want this basic engine to get the better of me!!! this really did occour over night i dont get it,

i would buy the carb off you jimbob but that will probably need setting up too? im really thinking about breaking the car now to get my money back for it i dont want to keep getting bits for it. ill have to think.

one minute it works fine and idles better than most modern cars then left it for a few days, have extremly cold weather and then it wont idle.

getting nice juicy spark aaaargh!!!!

gonna drive the fookin thing into a tree!!

AlexW
12-03-09, 10:43 AM
Hang on, Did you say its a SR carb? If it is then it problery still setup for the 1.3 or 1.4 it came off, causing the **** running.

Too much fuel getting and problery when its on choke its cutting the air enough to make it run.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-03-09, 11:06 AM
aaaargh!!!!

gonna drive the fookin thing into a tree!!

^^ lol

hang in there man, dont break it just yet, i bet its something simple.
i was gonna mention moisture in the dizzy cap after u said rainy day, but u also mentioned its getting a juicy spark.

i stumbled in drunk at 2:30 ish, left aload of most probably bullsh1t posts trying to help, then collapsed into bed, pc was still on png.

Crumpet
13-03-09, 06:10 PM
No AW06 its not a SR carb its a pierburg 1b, i was asking earlier in the thread what can i change it to and the SR carb was the answer,

Jimbob i 've had enough really giving up now going to start breaking it, its a too biga ornament for the drive.

yeh getting proper spark definately getting fuel.

i have a green and yellow wire that is at the back or the engine it's live and has a spade connector on the end of it but it is connected to nothing i dont know if this has anything to do with anything no doubt i will find out when i start breaking it.

Crumpet
16-03-09, 08:08 PM
Being broke, as of next week unless someone wants to take it off my hands,

AlexW
16-03-09, 08:09 PM
location?

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-09, 09:37 PM
crumpets n0o0o0o0o !