PDA

View Full Version : flame kit

Euan
04-01-03, 08:41 PM
has anyone fitted one of these. are the worth bothering about and are there any problems to look out for??

nutsaboutnovas
05-01-03, 01:05 PM
my friend has one fitted or his 1.6 8v nova.. non turbo.. he had it fitted properly but we watched and there didn't seem to be any problem apart from drilling a hole in your exhaust the right size for the spark plug but not to be so that you cannot seal it afterwards... i'm not sure if it is an MOT pass though so someone will have to find out.. depends on if you have the money as it is expensive.. yeah it does look good but it does also cost a lot of money for what it is!!

Breeny
05-01-03, 02:21 PM
It actually doesnt cost a lot, its just companies have cottoned on to the fact that they can rip people off.

Spark plug in the exhaust (need welding upafterwards and yes it is an mot failure) Its wired into a coil and hence when a switch is pressed the spark plug sparks causing the unburnt fuel to ignite. Most injection cars will not work because the ECU leans off the fuel mixture when an engine starts to get rich.

IMO It looks wankbags on a nova especially a standard 1.2 with LED sodding washer jets and a sunstrip

rob.slader
05-01-03, 02:58 PM
Breeny, you forgot to mention the Max Power stickers too!!!

mikeoxford
05-01-03, 06:13 PM
lol i watched some tit in a sa*o thinking he was bad

and he had no heat shield and he melted the FCUK out of his bumper he was doing it so much!!!!!!

much to the enjoyment of the crowd :lol:

Masi
05-01-03, 06:34 PM
Seen some guy in a Renualt 5 GT Turbo doing, lol fking 10ft flames no lies ;). Nearly 2 meters the flames came out, he done it all himself, easliy toast sausage from it ;P

Euan
05-01-03, 06:37 PM
would any1 recomend it? i'm kinda keen on the idea. what kinda protection would i have to put in. to avoid any nastiness?

nutsaboutnovas
05-01-03, 06:44 PM
well the main thing you will need is an exhaust heat shield otherwise as mentioned earlier you will melt your bumper... i seen this guy in a corsa do it at a max cruise his bumper was dripping it was so hot there was a big hole at the end!! whats the point in that??? so how do you get around it at MOT time?? especially as it is welded on!! if u ask me i think it is too much hassle for what it does also you risk damaging your engine internally by repeatedly revving it to produce excess unburnt fuel.. i seen an RS turbo blow up trying to produce a flame so imagine a poor nova.. non turbos anyways!! so if u ask me its not worth it especially for the MOT!!! they are bad enough normally why make it worse??

mikeoxford
05-01-03, 07:00 PM
ill go along with that

my car failed about 2/3 weeks ago just on stupid little things that took all of a day to fix, just the fact it hapand which is annoying!

dave.gsi
06-01-03, 12:16 AM
well the main thing you will need is an exhaust heat shield

lol, a fire extinguisher would be first on my list :lol:

fcuk!
06-01-03, 01:06 AM
i must be missing the point here. why would you want to make flames come out your exhaust? does it make your car better? faster? no! it just makes people turn and look for a few minutes. big whohar! i can't get my head round why people get them! can someone enlighten me?

mikeoxford
06-01-03, 02:30 AM
well im assumin exactly for that reason.

to get the looks and also it pulls the punters at cruises and things i guess.

fcuk!
06-01-03, 02:45 AM
maybe on a jap car it would look good... but on a nova? come on...

Euan
06-01-03, 09:13 PM
but isnt the whole point of modding any car to be different and therefore get noticed (it is for me) why bother spending a great deal of money just to be the same as the crowd.

1. engine tuning - to be faster than people
2. body work - to make the car look different from others (although i know some people are keeping a clean std car now)
3. ice - most people like it loud, bassy and with good eye catching headunits. (it gets you noticed)
4. exhaust - ok so its frees up 3-4 bhp but its made loud so the car stands out.

just some of my ideas. maybe flame kit wont work on novas but its personal preferance really.

neiloakley
07-01-03, 08:37 AM
Baaaa!!!! Baaaaaa!!!!! :onfire:

neiloakley
07-01-03, 04:51 PM
I can supply flame kits if anyone wants one. They include a single spark coil and a spark plug to suit. Offers? The coil only needs one wire but you will need to run an earth from the exhaust to the body somewhere justincase there isn't a good enough already. Then all you have to do is use a push button switch and one wire from the battery to the switch and from switch to the centre pin on the special coil. The coil includes a spark plug socket and bracket to fix in a suitable location.

RobHardyUK
07-01-03, 09:25 PM
I think they look tacky myself... and they must reduce power, even if slightley, because they are restricting the flow??

neiloakley
08-01-03, 11:09 AM
they dont reduce the flow atall. No more than if a small ant had crawled into your zorst. They only protrude by about 2-3mm

novax
15-01-03, 10:42 PM
Flame kit, OH MY GOD! in the same region as LED washer jets and driving round with you fog lights on when there's no fog.

I think you get where I'm going with this. If someone set that off with my car behind them I'd be VERY unhappy :evil:

jim sri
15-01-03, 11:42 PM
dont do it. u will get laughed at. :o

Austin_Nova16
16-01-03, 03:11 AM
1 - won't you need some sort of pulse (like what the dizzy usually supplies), and an amplifier to make it work?

2 - I would be very dubious about using one on a n/a car, as it can suck the flame back through, where-as with a turbo, it cannot.

3 - Shorly its best to have flames on full throttle limiter action at 100+mph than sitting in a bloody car park!.....and far more impressive!