PDA

View Full Version : Dash deadening

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 03:02 PM
Didn't know where to stick this as its not really mechanical or electric.

Im just wondering if any of you guys here have any foam deadening behind the dash?

I don't have anything up behind mine, its dash and then bulkhead.

IIRC I saw a thread a while back regarding taking out the dash and I thought I saw foam deadening behind it :confused:

Just wana know if its meant to have some so I can start looking for some.

:thumb: Danke

Pistol Pete
07-03-09, 07:00 PM
There is usually a black matting type of stuff. Its not a nessesity (sp) though.

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 07:04 PM
Oh right ok. That's the stuff I was thinking of. My car has nowt. I am considering to put some on as the bigger the engine the more noise will spill into the cabin and Im going for a road car rather then a racer so I want things to be quieter.

(Dunno why they didnt have them on all cars :confused: )

Cheers mate :thumb:

P.S. have some rep

Pistol Pete
07-03-09, 07:09 PM
I very much doubt fitting it will make that much of a difference TBH. And could be a ball ache to retro fit. Dash out, loom out etc. Ok, not a ball ache as such but...its up to you at the end of the day.

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 07:35 PM
I understand what you are saying its just that when I go big block I am considering to either dynamat the front end of the cabin or if there was something specific already made to stick that in place.

Everything from the doors back has been sound deadend already.

:thumb:

Pistol Pete
07-03-09, 08:30 PM
What model is yours?

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 08:45 PM
1985 1.2 Merit. Ghetto spec not even dash side vents.

Iain
07-03-09, 10:39 PM
My povo spec 92 Merit had none but my 93 Luxe+ (good model bar engine) had lots behind the dash. It's not really a foam, just some thin hard stuff. If you want sound deadening I'd whack some proper stuff behind the dash.

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/BehindDash.JPG

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 10:56 PM
Do you recon that that stuff you have in your pic above is better than brownbread/dynamat stuff?

+rep for getting me a pic matey :thumb:

Iain
07-03-09, 11:00 PM
TBH it was about 2 years ago when I took that pic and I haven't ever used brownbread/dynamat deadening. It just clipped on to the bulkhead so I'd imagine some proper deadening would be better.

Nova_Tek
07-03-09, 11:03 PM
My car from here the dash is to about half way up to the pedals has no deadening. half the pedla down it has some foam deadening proper GM stuff. I might just do a blend of the two.

Cheers man :thumb:

AlexW
07-03-09, 11:23 PM
If it was me i would go for the after market stuff. Your other option is to fit the engine bay side blukhead sound deading (hard to come by in good nick due to needing to remove everything from the bulkhead iirc))

Nova_Tek
08-03-09, 08:48 PM
True AW06. At least I know theres such a thing now. Just need to make up my mind which one I will go for.

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 09:12 PM
Engine bay sound deadening will be quite hard to get hold of. I ripped mine out and binned it! I think most do. Best bet is to do behind the dash.