PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 to 1.6

maxlee
07-03-09, 09:34 AM
hi guys

i have to pick up a mk2 1.6 carbed astra tomorrow will the engine fit strate in to my girl friends 1.2 mk1 nova with out to many problems?? are the bits i have to mod / get or can i do it using bits from both cars??

thught i would ask as it saves me doing 2 engine changes lol as i was going to replace the gril friends broken engine with one out of onther nova over this weekend

matt_vaughan
07-03-09, 09:45 AM
Yep easy converision. Not the most powerful engine though.

mowgli
07-03-09, 11:04 AM
you will need to swap the gearbox over too.
if the nova has a 5 speed box already, then it will be easy peasy, if not then you will need to muck about with the gear linkage & stick

maxlee
09-03-09, 05:32 PM
thanks guys :)

would it be easyer to find a 5 speed linkage as the nova is a 1982 4 speed bad boy :cool:

any cheap trick on tuning the 1.6 enggine like a 1.8 or 2.0 head etc :confused: or are they diffent / no difrent

onther question is will the nova drive shafts still fit the box i was thinking of swapping over the brakes and hubs can that be done?? i am still yet to pic up the astra but it will defo be getting broken up so if any one knows some one with a mk2 astra needing a light or some thing then i'll let you know when i have it :thumb:

AlexW
09-03-09, 05:38 PM
Look about for mods on the 1.6. 1.8/2.0 heads are big block so totaly different.

I presume your going to run a F13 box? so which the 1.2 shafts will be fine. Brakes wise go for 256 (2.0) stuff IMO.

And the only thing different between the 4-5 speed linkage etc is the gear stick (ofc it only has 4 speeds on the end and it needs a bit cutting off) Not worth finding a 5speed setup unless you have to.

maxlee
09-03-09, 05:45 PM
thanks aw

i'll google it up now :)

jimbob-mcgrew
09-03-09, 09:12 PM
1.6 carb = :cool:

you think the 1.2 driveshafts will handle the power ?
tell your mrs to take it easy lol

stevie-p
09-03-09, 09:56 PM
ill save you the hassle of fitting the engine mate

sell me it!

General Baxter
09-03-09, 10:06 PM
you think the 1.2 driveshafts will handle the power ?

bah iv seen 200+bhp ran thru them lol :thumb:

StuartWilson
09-03-09, 11:47 PM
And the only thing different between the 4-5 speed linkage etc is the gear stick (ofc it only has 4 speeds on the end and it needs a bit cutting off) Not worth finding a 5speed setup unless you have to.

Thats not 100% correct the turret on a 4 speed box differs to a 5 speed turret as the 5 speed one is spring loaded both ways to allow getting reverse and 5th. So make sure you get the turret with the 'box, which you should

maxlee
10-03-09, 12:39 AM
cool thanks guys

i am getting a hole mk2 astra so i'll only scrap it when the nova is up and running incase i miss some thing :tard:

~~joycey~~
10-03-09, 02:18 AM
Your goin to kill a mk2 astra!? Shame on you maxlee! :(

AlexW
10-03-09, 11:11 AM
Thats not 100% correct the turret on a 4 speed box differs to a 5 speed turret as the 5 speed one is spring loaded both ways to allow getting reverse and 5th. So make sure you get the turret with the 'box, which you should

Aye i know. Presumed that because the guy was buying the whole car it wouldnt be a problem, reason i didnt mention it.

Dirtydog1
10-03-09, 12:08 PM
bah iv seen 200+bhp ran thru them lol :thumb:

ive got 1.2 shafts on my corsa turbo lol,

Leeboo
10-03-09, 12:31 PM
The 16sv carb engine can be fairly sharp, I had one in my Nova with a 4 branch, janspeed and k&n up until a month ago, it shifted fairly well, plenty of power for overtaking. My carb was missing its enrichment so I used a 1.3 astra twin choke. It had a vtec lol, would rev well over 7k. Pulled like a train on the motorway in 5th believe it or not :wtf: .

Fitting wise, very easy! Is your Nova a 1.2 carb? Mounts are the same... you will need to cut off the small lug on the gearstick inside the car to allow you to engage 5th gear, thats all. You may have to change one or two starter/alternator connections but not a big job at all. Your current radiator and pipes will fit 100%. Shafts/hubs etc fit 100%. You will need a different throttle cable, astra one will most likely fit. Your current fuel tank etc will be fine as the 1600 carb also has main feed and return.

I know I'm really bumming this engine up but its such an easy engine to fit because of it being carb, fairly quick, and nobody really does it!

maxlee
17-03-09, 09:34 PM
thanx leeboo

well i picked the mk2 astra up today gutted its a clean ish one with one bit of welding but befor i get flamed lol its been stolen and recovered its a 4 door one with a sun roof and its not worth all the trubble getting the logbook back and spending the money to fix it

i will take the engine out of the nova some point this week or the weekend give the engine bay a good clean then pull the astra engine out the astra

leeboo i no you said you had a 4 brance exhaust but did you run it with standered stuff at 1st if so what exhaust system bits did you use???

Leeboo
18-03-09, 02:27 PM
Hi lad, well my exhaust was a bit of a homemade effort! I had a 4 branch exhaust manifold, 1.0 centre section cut/welded to fit 4 branch (you will need to do this too, not a big job), then I cut out the centre silencer and welded in a straight pipe, then fitted a Janspeed backbox modified to fit my Nova. Sounded lovely if I do say so myself :cool: .

maxlee
19-03-09, 12:55 AM
sounds like fun :thumb:

i have a mk3 astra down pipe laying about and the nova and mk2 astra exhust systems so i will have a play and see what i get lol just thought i have a nova sr manifold would that restrict it tho

work starts weekend :cool:

Sloth
19-03-09, 01:19 AM
dude use a gte 4 branch and gte type centre section....

maxlee
22-03-09, 11:10 PM
i have a nova sr manifold is that the same as the gte??

we got the 1.2 engine out the nova to day if it stays sunny should have the engine etc out the astra tomorrow :cool:.

AlexW
22-03-09, 11:46 PM
SR should be the same.

maxlee
23-03-09, 11:45 PM
cracking as i have one of them all ready :)

didn't get the engine out the asta 2day had mishion on the phone sorting my insurance out :roll:

so depending on werther i will have onther go 2moz i am at the engine mount and drive shat off then engines out stage lol

Leeboo
24-03-09, 12:10 PM
Yeah I think the 16sv carb engine came with same twin downpipe manifold as SR! Twin downpipe sr manifold gives nice exhaust note with back box

maxlee
30-03-09, 03:25 AM
should be finding out soon :cool:

got the engine and box out the astra friday, going to swap the dizzys over as the astra one is difrent with black box and wires for advancing and retarding (like my spelling)

will keep you guys up dated :thumb:

maxlee
08-05-09, 07:52 PM
cracked on 2day went to swap the dizzys over and there difrent :(

are 1.4 dizys pin drive like the 1600 engine

i need to find one with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/maxlee/novadizy.jpg
The bit marked in red, the 1.2 dizy also just has 3 wires comming off of it rather then a 3 pin plug as well

any thoughts very welcome

Leeboo
08-05-09, 09:09 PM
4 branch :) .

I think you need a black delco slot drive distributor, same as what comes on 1.2 carb engine, 1.3 sr carb engine, and obviously 16 carb engine.

My 16sv had this type of distributor and iirc a red wire and a black wire coming off it going to the coil

maxlee
09-05-09, 12:17 AM
the dizzy on the 1.2 has a slot like you say :) but the 16sv engine i have has a dizy with what looks like pins if i remember right

(i'll get some pics tomorrow)

they will make more sence then i can :lol:

thank you for the reply buddy