PDA

View Full Version : xe cams choices

slowsport
06-03-09, 12:45 PM
hi i have a xe with sbd tb's setup, now i enjoy driving the car but recently i was thinking of getting some cams to complement the setup. now what i really want is something that is very durable and hasn't got a rough idle. this is my daily driver so i want to comforably drive in london city traffic with it pulling smooth so i can't go too lairy. i just need opinions/ experience on the drivability on cams setup i.e. i cant have it kicking in at 4500rpm! thanks for any comments, ed.

Paul
06-03-09, 01:08 PM
tbh id stay with standards they seem to make good power...

philip
06-03-09, 08:08 PM
whats rest of the spec of the engine? if havent got pistons, then cant go anything over 264dur anyway

slowsport
07-03-09, 02:44 PM
hi, i don't have pocketed pistons, i do have arp bolts. i don't mind to get pocketed piston to match the cams as long as i can retain smooth drivability. i use to own a 1360 mini with a 288 profile and as much as i loved the kick after 3000rpm but i just couldnt really drive it through slow city traffic as it had nothing at low end and almost always needed to be above that mark. i don't want that kick in anymore and need it smooth i just don't mind if the power is mid-top but i need some low end grunt for traffic crawls! thanks again for any help

Sloth
07-03-09, 02:56 PM
your username is very similar to mine bud, have rep!

Adam
07-03-09, 03:45 PM
The gains with mild kent/piper cams aren't worth the cost.
To get good gains you need to go for a higher profile, which will lose bottom end and need revving more to make peak power.

burgo
07-03-09, 04:04 PM
as mr adam said. for the price of a set of cams you could get a decent exhaust manifold which would probably give similar gains but maintain the drivability

Sloth
07-03-09, 04:31 PM
pm dod for the design notes of an "ultimate xe" manifold

ck
07-03-09, 04:39 PM
to keep driveability your best bet is to get some of the highest lift/longest duration cams that will fit with std piston pockets. anything higher than these that require pocketed pistons will generally lack quite abit at low revs.

with the right exhaust n cams you should hit 200hp no problem yet still be nearly as driveable as a standard engine.

philip
07-03-09, 07:22 PM
id suggest the QED Q42h's, can be used on hydraulics stil, would still need pocketed pistons ideally, but will still be a very very useable cam for the street;)

slowsport
08-03-09, 05:38 AM
thanks for the comments, professional advise as usual!

slowsport
08-03-09, 05:46 AM
oow one more quick question if mild cams isn't really the answer because of the gains and to maintain drivability. then i choose to go the exhaust route, is it better to install an cav internal shifter to get a straight through system or is that getting abit overkill for my setup?

mayhem
08-03-09, 01:17 PM
i'm running with Dr. schrick 280 degree cams.

kicks in on about 2500/3000rpm