PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump to carb set-up.

Al3x
04-03-09, 10:40 PM
alright,
havnt started this yet but just want to get my head round it first.

I have a nova on R1 carbs, car runs sweet but is lacking the fuel in top end bogging out a lil as its still on the mechanical fuel pump.

im thinking of introducing a Facet silver top fuel pump kit into the setup to improve fuel delivery. obviously will be using a fuel regulator but want to know more about the safety side. i was reading up on some people who are in the process of the same conversion and their talking about the oil pressure switch side of it which i dont fully understand.
it will be for road use so incase of a nasty bump i want to fit an inetia switch of some sort but dont know what to use.
has anyone done this kind of thing? just need a little nudge and maybe a pic of someones setup?
all help is appreciated very much!! :thumb: :thumb:

cheers Alex:D

meritlover
04-03-09, 10:45 PM
what pump are you using just now? an injection pump?
have you jetted it to suit?

mowgli
04-03-09, 10:46 PM
the mech pump should be fine, the sport used it on 40's

meritlover
04-03-09, 10:46 PM
ok i just read it again, mechanical pump will likely be ok, but you need to get it jetted if you havent already

Al3x
04-03-09, 10:54 PM
hmm yea there jetted and set up but was just like it isnt getting enough fuel top end and with getting better cams soon too just looking at upgrading the delivery side. any suggestions.
oh and thanks ^^ :D

meritlover
04-03-09, 10:59 PM
would be worth while trying a better pump then. a facet shouldnt need a regulator if you use the return line, and an inertia switch off any modern car in a scrapyard could be wired in series to kill it in a shunt. you shouldnt need a relay.

Al3x
04-03-09, 11:03 PM
perfect. im no good with wiring so thats great i wont have to fiddle with relays etc lol.
its not on a return now but the return line is still there if need be. but it is possible to use a regulator? im not too sure where i would fit the return pipe =/

16xe_chris
04-03-09, 11:08 PM
perfect. im no good with wiring so thats great i wont have to fiddle with relays etc lol.
its not on a return now but the return line is still there if need be. but it is possible to use a regulator? im not too sure where i would fit the return pipe =/

If you want to upgrade your fuel pump just use a little square type facet, cheap as chips then a pressure regulator:thumb:

Al3x
04-03-09, 11:12 PM
will the littler ones meet the demand of r1 carbs? sounds good though love the cheap :D

16xe_chris
04-03-09, 11:19 PM
will the littler ones meet the demand of r1 carbs? sounds good though love the cheap :D

lol lol all hail R1 carbs lol lol

well one of them pumps kept up to my gsi rally car engine running twin 40's :thumb:

Al3x
04-03-09, 11:23 PM
hmm they should do the trick fine then thanks for the help dood :D will post up if i can set that side up :D cheers again everyone

Leeboo
05-03-09, 10:04 AM
The solid state facet pumps can be bought in different ratings for example, up to 110hp, 130hp, 150hp etc.

Southie
05-03-09, 10:10 AM
What engine are your R1 carbs being attached to?

I had a 1.4sr with R1 carbs on and the standard pump attached was fine and never had trouble. I was also running a filter king with this setup.

As suggested you may need the carbs rejetting.

The Simps
05-03-09, 10:55 AM
A redtop facet and filter king regulator should do the job fine. I beleive its 3 bar they need to run at on an XE.

Southie
05-03-09, 11:18 AM
My old setup :D

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/IMG_0030.jpg

nova ian
05-03-09, 11:22 AM
I think the Facet Redtop pump is a bit overkill for the bike carbs, as said the siver top would be better as it runs at a lower psi to begin with.

This link is pretty helpful, tells you all the running pressures etc for all the different facet pumps

http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/web-facet.pdf

The Simps
05-03-09, 11:46 AM
^^ good link.

The red top may be overkill but the regulator will control the flow anyway so the pump just isn't woring as hard, but it will give you greater scope for upgrade. I'm running a swirl pot in my setup so will need the red top & electrical.

nova ian
05-03-09, 12:55 PM
^^ good link.

The red top may be overkill but the regulator will control the flow anyway so the pump just isn't woring as hard, but it will give you greater scope for upgrade. I'm running a swirl pot in my setup so will need the red top & electrical.

Sorry for the thread Hijack here!!

How are you going about running a swirl pot as the carbs have no return, I'd be intereseted in seeing how you do this :thumb: (Hope that doesn't sound like im trying to be clever, I am genuinley interested as I have no idea! lol)

The Simps
05-03-09, 01:50 PM
I'm not 100% certain at this time! lol

I'm thinking something like this with one outlet blanked off...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/swirlpotlayout.jpg

Al3x
05-03-09, 08:45 PM
hmm ill stick with the std mech pump for little while as need to get air filters etc sorted 1st!! will get myself a silver top facet, regulator and filter king in a few weeks and see how it goes...
any suggestions on a place to get them re-jetted im in wrexham/whitchurch area anyone been to any decent places?
v.interesting stuff ^^

NOVABIKECARBED: sweet setup mate you runing carbs on your current car. cant wait for a meet so i can see everyones carb setups, gonna pinch a few ideas :P

DW-Nova
05-03-09, 10:13 PM
Hi there all, i'm glad this thread has been posted as i'm converting to bike carbs and was a little unsure of what to do regarding a fuel pump. I've been told to install an electrical pump and regulator but if you were to do this what would you do with the original pump that is driven from the cam ? i.e if you just took it out you'd be left with a hole, so is there someone that makes a blanking plate ? lastly would an up-rated cam such as a piper or kent come with a lobe to drive the mechanical pump ? perhaps if its bogging down you want to make sure all the carbs are synchronized, the air filter/s are clean and perhaps replace the mechanical fuel pump with a new one as it could just simply be worn out ? sorry for going a little off topic btw.

meritlover
05-03-09, 10:45 PM
i still dont know why you would use a regulator with a facet pump if you are running a return line. with no restriction in the return, effectively you're running with 0psi backpressure. making a regulator pointless, and the carb float will allow whatever fuel to run in as it needs.

pul16v
06-03-09, 12:29 AM
thats would be the way id work it as on the bike it may have a fuel pump but ony because the tank bottom is lower than the carbs .gravity works fine no huge psi pumps needed simply a returnable feed id have thought

phil

The Simps
06-03-09, 08:04 AM
there isn't a return feed on the carbs tho.

you can use the standard R1 fuel pump and there's no need for a regulator as its an interupter pump so knows when to stop pumping. I'd still go with the red top and filter king personally as its a far more expandable system.

DW-Nova - not sure what you mean by fuel pump that is driven by the cam??

Leeboo
06-03-09, 10:11 AM
Simps I think he means, if he was to remove the mechanical, cam driven fuel pump off his carb engine and use an electrical set up, what would he do with the hole that is left by removing the mechanical pump.

My answer would be just to leave the pump on, let it keep running with no fuel going through it.

And in answer to your cam question...an SR uprated cam will have fuel pump lobe, GTE/GSi uprated cam won't have it. Relevant to the engines fuel systems really.

nova ian
06-03-09, 10:38 AM
Hi there all, i'm glad this thread has been posted as i'm converting to bike carbs and was a little unsure of what to do regarding a fuel pump. I've been told to install an electrical pump and regulator but if you were to do this what would you do with the original pump that is driven from the cam ? i.e if you just took it out you'd be left with a hole, so is there someone that makes a blanking plate ? lastly would an up-rated cam such as a piper or kent come with a lobe to drive the mechanical pump ? perhaps if its bogging down you want to make sure all the carbs are synchronized, the air filter/s are clean and perhaps replace the mechanical fuel pump with a new one as it could just simply be worn out ? sorry for going a little off topic btw.

I've done this on my current runaround nova (ie. Running a carb engine on the spi electrical system)

All I did was take the mechanical pump off and cut off the piston with a grinder and then bolted it back on, this way the pump can no longer function and theres no leaks :)

Al3x
08-03-09, 06:49 PM
or a better way would be to put a 1600 cam box on? uprate the cam to suite as they dont have mech pumps get the carbs set up to run a 1600 cam or piper/kent whatever. thats what im gonna do with simps suggestion (redtop and filterking). i still havnt started any of mine yet need to go deamon thieves and get an airfilter before i start :P

DW-Nova
08-03-09, 11:48 PM
cheers for the help guys ! well i'll worry about actually getting it running first and see how it goes with the mechanical fuel pump and swap over if needs be, cheers again all !