PDA

View Full Version : help with ecu (chipping or remaping) and lambor sensor

reid_em
04-03-09, 05:34 PM
hello people please help me out when i brought my nova gsi 1992 it never had a lambor sensor since i have fully rebuilt the engine and it not running as good as i feel it should due to many mods, listed below i wanted to put a lambor sensor onit.
the other thing that i need some help with if any of you know is where i can get the ecu remaped as i feel that this is probably a major reason why i am not getting full power out of my car. but i have looked in a lot of places and they no longer do remaps for novas which is very gutting.:mad: hope some1 can help. thanks reid

bored out cylinders with bigger pistons
bigger inlet and outlet valves
kent cam
uprated clutch
1.4 gear box (aiming for more power bottom end)

thanks and look forward to some replies :)
reid

burgo
04-03-09, 06:29 PM
hello people please help me out when i brought my nova gsi 1992 it never had a lambor sensor since i have fully rebuilt the engine and it not running as good as i feel it should due to many mods, listed below i wanted to put a lambor sensor onit.
the other thing that i need some help with if any of you know is where i can get the ecu remaped as i feel that this is probably a major reason why i am not getting full power out of my car. but i have looked in a lot of places and they no longer do remaps for novas which is very gutting.:mad: hope some1 can help. thanks reid

bored out cylinders with 1.675cc low comp pistons
bigger inlet and outlet valves
kent cam
uprated clutch
1.7 inlet manifold
1.4 gear box (aiming for more power bottom end)

thanks and look forward to some replies :)
reid

1.7 inlet!!!! wtf
and why low comp pistons. you want high comp for N/A
also its a lambda sensor

reid_em
04-03-09, 07:47 PM
yer i must admit i thought wtf bout the inlet mainifold but that is what i was told by person i brought it off.
i was sold low comp pistons and thought that i did right thing sounds like i didnt!!
and sorry about my spelling, however you havent helped me at all have you and that is what i am after not critisism

tom reid
04-03-09, 08:18 PM
You need to do a bit of checking before you do anything else.
Check the compressions on all cylinders.
Take the dizzy off and have alook at the end of the cam, your'e looking for some numbers, it should begin KC....
Get up some pics of the manifold, i'm intrigued
Bored out and low comp pistons, sounds like a turbo conversion not finished.
Forget about Burgo, he thinks everyone knows as much about cars as he doeslol

reid_em
04-03-09, 08:47 PM
nice one thanks m8 i will get some pix up on ere asap and also av a look for a number on the cam. all i know about it atm is that it is a kent cam but will find out.
it wasent intended to be a turbo m8 just that it started running on 3 one night and when i stripped it down as you can guess im no mechanic but will still give anything a go realised that it had snapped a ring.
so i used my m8 in lcp to help along my way of rebuilding the engine he sold me the pistons and i thought they was right thing to do.
anyway i will try and work out how to add you as a buddy and hopefully you can help me out a bit.
do you know where i can get a remap done or is there no point with these pistons

tom reid
04-03-09, 08:55 PM
No point in a remap until you've' checked what's in it, I don't know who would do a remap on your car, but they'd need to know what spec it was to judge if their maps would be suitable.
Google springs to mind though.

reid_em
04-03-09, 09:16 PM
yer m8 im gna get on google now and just see what can find

Stuart
04-03-09, 09:19 PM
you wont have low comp 1.6 8v pistons..... unless a LOT of money was paid for them.

imho with that lot you might aswell bin the std ECU and put an aftermarket one on, even megasquirt would be a good move

MK999
04-03-09, 09:25 PM
Are the standard GM ecu's even mappable Stu? I seem to remember them being well famed for being well locked down.

Stuart
04-03-09, 09:28 PM
Gm N/A ecu's are notoriously hard to crack.... that or no one gives a fcuk about them and never spent the time that they did with the Turbo ECU's

meritlover
04-03-09, 10:21 PM
with aftermarket management so obtainable and cheap these days, for the sake of a bit of wiring, why bother cracking an OE ecu at all?

Stuart
04-03-09, 10:23 PM
indeed... for the pissing about hacking ECU's (hell just bribe the folks that write the software in the first place, I could be "purchased" for a KFC bargin bucket FFS), and the uttelry crap job thats done most of the time. you are far better off with an aftermarket setup.

unless of course you have ETB in which case aftermarket management starts to cost £2K and up lol

meritlover
04-03-09, 10:31 PM
even the most basic of aftermarket management has decent resolution, with good tables and trick features that will never get used in most home installations. most will take nearly any rpm sensor you through at it and can be config'd for MAP/MAF or alpha-N which is all most of you could ever need.
as long as you have your fuel/spark tables, cold start and accelleration enrichment, you'll be fine

craig green
05-03-09, 11:42 AM
Intrigued by this 1.7 manifold.... & the pistons.

It's quite likely the dizzy isnt timed in properly, as its often overlooked on the E16SE engines. Superchips used to list a 'chip' for the GTE/GSi though wether it was for the Bosch or Siemens ECU (both?) is anyones guess. I very much doubt it did anything anyway tbh, other than perhaps raise the rev limit & dump in some extra bore wash. MSD could remap it no doubt, however the cost would exceed that of a decent 2nd hand Z20LET Astra coupe turbo I expect.

ck
05-03-09, 01:21 PM
Intrigued by this 1.7 manifold.... & the pistons.

It's quite likely the dizzy isnt timed in properly, as its often overlooked on the E16SE engines. Superchips used to list a 'chip' for the GTE/GSi though wether it was for the Bosch or Siemens ECU (both?) is anyones guess. I very much doubt it did anything anyway tbh, other than perhaps raise the rev limit & dump in some extra bore wash. MSD could remap it no doubt, however the cost would exceed that of a decent 2nd hand Z20LET Astra coupe turbo I expect.

MSD???? erm isnt msd no longer. not been around for a good few years now

craig green
05-03-09, 02:03 PM
No idea. Just dredging my brain cells of marginally usefull info I've retained over the years. However I did state it wasnt worth it (cost wise).

craig green
05-03-09, 02:04 PM

http://www.remapping.co.uk/