PDA

View Full Version : Engine coughing & Spluttering

Simon 1867
04-03-09, 03:06 PM
Just started the car and its started to cough and splutter, Its a 1.2 1983 engine....Took it for a drive and i lost power at 20mph, everytime i went to accelerate it did nothing... couldnt get above 20 either..then the car died as i slowed down.

It used to run on Leaded petrol,but after the engine rebuild i was told by Vauxhall you can just put unleaded fuel in and a way you go. would this have anything to do with the above?

I have changed the Spark plugs, and HT Leads
Put some red X in through the carb as it hasnt had a long run in 5years due to restoreing the car.

Any help will be welcomed.

Thankyou

Simon 1867
05-03-09, 10:51 AM
Anyone able to help... really could do with it. Thanks

Southie
05-03-09, 11:14 AM
I had something similar on my old sr when the earth on the coil wasn't working correctly.

How old is the battery?

George g
05-03-09, 12:20 PM
mine did that (late 1.2 carb) when it had been stood and only idled for a few months. managed to get it revving a little and it was kicking crap out of the exhaust. ran the engine in a bit and it has gotten alot better and free-er, but the head gasket has gone since aswell, so was thinking it might have been a sign that it was going anyway...

hth

Nova_Tek
05-03-09, 01:02 PM
Sounds similar to what happend to my car mate same engine. Had driven it for a good hour. Literally turned her off for 1 minute and jumped back in. Started fine but then started coughing and spluttering, thought it was a momentary misfire, continued driving, would not get above 30mph and there was as much power as a mouses fart. Cut out everytime I came to a halt. My car back in the day was 4 Star aswell but its been running unleaded for absolutley ages and never affected it in any way.

When you try give it some juice does the engine make a whole load of noise?

Checked dizzy which was no older than 6 months, Rotor arm center contract was broke so I thought 'theres the culprit' changed that but no difference. Checked leads and they were all fine. Cleaned carb did all the fuel cleaning shizzay, carb cleaner stuff etc Checked earths, battery was new, checked coil.

After checking absolutly everyhing I did a comprerssion check and cylinders 1 & 2 were down 120 PSi compared to 3 & 4. I'd do a compression test asap to rule it out coz you don't wanna spend time checking and cleaning when it could be something internal as I found out.

Hopefully yours is something else but it sounds familiar. Is this the Brown one?

Simon 1867
05-03-09, 01:40 PM
I had something similar on my old sr when the earth on the coil wasn't working correctly.

How old is the battery?

Battery is a year old...and HT Leads and plugs are about the same age.

Thanks Nova Tek, how do you carry out a compression test? Yeah its the brown one.Gutted to be honest

Nova_Tek
05-03-09, 01:54 PM
You need a compression gauge, can get them from Halfords or motorfactors cost around £10 or so.

Fairly easy, you disconnect the coil from the dizzy so it doesnt supply a spark (remove the plug below the coil), take out all the spark plugs, I disconnected the fuel pump feed hose so no petrol gets pumped.

Screw in the compression tester into spark plug hole 1, throttle wide open, crank the engine over for about 5 secs you will see the gauge on the comp tester fly up and hold once cylinder pressure has been reached. Repeat for cylinders 2, 3 & 4.

Then compare resutls of all cylinders. Normally a 10 PSi +/- is normal but anything drastic shows you a fault. Example my car did 90 - 95 - 210 - 210 (PSi)

craig green
05-03-09, 01:59 PM
I'd say do a comp test, assuming that comes back OK, get the carb looked at. Being sat for prolonged period won't do it any favours.

I always say 'earth' when diagnosing misfires or non-starting. Just be sure they are clean & conductive before you spend on any more parts or waste further time.

Plugs correctly gapped?

Blocked air filter?

I always used unleaded in my 85 B reg Nova 1200, never had any issues other than a bit of pinking when loaded up/climbing big hills.

Leeboo
05-03-09, 02:02 PM
Sounds like its going off a cylinder or two and missing. Uusally if its on 2 cylinders it won't accelerate at all, 3 cylinders it will be very slow.

Does the power gradually die on the road? If I was you I'd try a coil first.

Not the end of the world lad, should be easily fixed, if not, 1.2 engines are usually very cheap or free.

craig green
05-03-09, 02:05 PM
if not, 1.2 engines are usually very cheap or free.

True though, I'd sooner bolt on another carb before getting the engine hoist out......

Simon 1867
05-03-09, 02:18 PM
The earth strap is brand new...im goin to get the carb tunned.I also have a brand new coil which i will fit now I think.

I have re set the gaps on the plugs and air filter has been repalced

I have a compresssion tester,thanks for the figures Nova Tek, something to go by.

Leeboo:- Yeah it dies gradually, when i slow down really.

If it is low on compression, how do you go about correcting it? Its been a long time since i did anything like this.

thanks for giving me the help lads.

Nova_Tek
05-03-09, 02:33 PM
If the compression is low it would most prob be headgasket issue maybe piston rings.

My car sat undriven for absolute years probably about 5 - 6 IIRC. Ran as it should've done for the last 4 years never gave me any trouble, it just suddenly went. Just one of them things mate gave up the ghost when it felt like it. I had no clue it was gonna happen as the car performed perfectly, never lost oil or coolant, no blue smoke, no white smoke, nothing at all, it ran perfect.

Simon 1867
05-03-09, 02:37 PM
If the compression is low it would most prob be headgasket issue maybe piston rings.

The car performed perfectly, never lost oil or coolant, no blue smoke, no white smoke, nothing at all, it ran perfect.

Thanks matey, the headgasket is new too,
Mine has sat for proberly 5years, with the odd run whilst being restored. same as you really, never lost oil or coolant, no blue smoke, but at the moment white smoke is present when start up. I think thats because its cold.

Nova_Tek
05-03-09, 03:34 PM
You'll know for sure mate when you do the compression test, hopefully all is well. Mine had the original headgasket plus it sat outside for many years about 6 then another 3 years in the garage come to think of it a total of 9 years :eek: she did well running for 4 years non stop without missing a beat.

That white smoke is prob just condensation as the exhaust gas is hotter then the outside air.

Its been 6 months or so since my car has been sitting as I feel this is the perfect justification to get a LET in there. Shame I am skint lol

Was either a wedding or a LET. Pleasing and keeping women happy takes top priority I guess.