PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Sticking

neiloakley
03-01-03, 02:18 PM
For the past few weeks, when i get in my car to drive away, the hand brake is stuck on :cry: . I have to reverse until the back goes up in the air, then go forward, there is a loud bang :o and the handbrake comes off. Seems like the shoes are seizing to the drum. Anyone had this problem before and how do you solve it :?:

Ta

Chris LR
03-01-03, 02:24 PM
I used to have it, I didn't realise until the back of the car had risen up and by then it had snapped loudly and I was away.

It only happened when I left the car overnight or for long periods of time. I 'think' I solved it by driving up and down carparks with the handbrake slightly on, so that it was just biting.

My car still has it's Orginal drums, and I've never changes the shoes so it's all possibly 11 years old!

neiloakley
03-01-03, 02:27 PM
so more of a cover up than a cure!!! Mine does it even if it's left for a couple of hours. I think it might be the drums are getting too hot so when they cool, the contract and clamp the shoes. Might just go for rear discs. I was looking for a good time to change. Now may be it. Unless anyone else has a good cure?

Chris LR
03-01-03, 02:32 PM
Mine hasn't done it for about 4 months now. I'd call it a cure, for now!

neiloakley
03-01-03, 02:34 PM
sounds like to only work you can do on a nova without getting dirty or an achy back. May aswell try it on the way home. Ta :)

CP
03-01-03, 03:40 PM
Spray the mechanism outside the drum with WD40. It maybe sticking cos of rust n shit n damp from this time of year. Also could be a sign that you maybe at full adjustment cos shoes are nearly worn out. Check them for wear

frog_southampton
04-01-03, 12:33 AM
what part of the "mechanism outside the drum" do you mean??

any clues?

i had the same thing....

a few months ago my hand brake just seized on while driving.....back wheels locked up

took drums off gave it a bit of a poke and doesnt seem to do it as much...

but when i aint used car for a while then use it... and brake the back off side wheel locks up b4 any other wheel....even when lightly braking?

any clues??

ta!

god...what an essay!

mikeoxford
04-01-03, 12:50 AM
im assumin CP means the bit on the back and any mechanical parts on the outside of the drum thatll get shit on this time of year

for instance where the cable attaches to the lever arm?

carltoncrazy
04-01-03, 12:53 AM
check the hand brake cable,
is the more movment on the lever?
like cp said,make sure theirs no shit in the system,sounds more like sumfing,stoping the movment,
in chris case,its more likly theres 11yrs of brake dust in there and the hole brake system is filled with it :lol: :roll:

Chris LR
04-01-03, 12:58 AM
my car was a friday afternon car until it was smashed up, then it lay unrepaired for 2 years until i got it. I replaced the brake discs after 50k miles, it took all day!

carltoncrazy
04-01-03, 01:34 AM
chris how much u want 4 ur sr,
maybe intrested,can u o pixs,
il offer more than that 400 quid offer,
asuming the handbrake dont stick!

Chris LR
04-01-03, 01:40 AM
I've done a deal for ?500, handshakes the lot. I fear it's off to be modded in May/June.

For ?500 my mates got a 92SR with 72k, No radio, Head gasket on the way out, Shitty Brakes, Slipping Clutch, No MOT (with no hope of getting a new one), 1 months Tax 3 kerbed wheels, Window regulator sticking and 1/2 the boot floor missing. The only good thing is that all the bodywork is OK, for now!

I'll be very happy with ?500!

Stuart
04-01-03, 09:40 AM
i had this too. replaced the shoes and springs. problem solved (after a few keen braking attempts to clean the crap off the drum faces)

also my handbrake cable was frayed at the two bends on the rear beam.

it did it the other day too but a swift tap on the drum with a breaker bar sorted that (i had been driving through muddy puddles (to clean the car) and left it standing on a slope for 2 days.

lots of brake cleaner for the adjuster and then copper grease when you reassemble