PDA

View Full Version : patern wings

sr jack
03-03-09, 10:51 PM
hi guys i need two front wings for my mk2 sr. i wnated to get genuine but they dont make them anymore:confused: so just wanted to ask if anyone would advise buying pattern parts

brainsnova
03-03-09, 10:53 PM
buy them but fit them before paint and they can be swapped if they are ****.

Pistol Pete
03-03-09, 10:55 PM
Your only option is to buy pattern. I did and cut them up for welding practice they were that good lol. I bought some second hand and still had to fook about with them. Trial fit them before getting them painted though.

Remember to keep the speed clips and the black grill clips from your old wings aswell.

sr jack
03-03-09, 10:56 PM
i see. will have to go look for some now

Pistol Pete
03-03-09, 10:57 PM
Your a member. Beevers panels FTW. No p+p charge. See the thread in club chat.

sr jack
03-03-09, 10:57 PM
cheers pete:thumb:

meritlover
03-03-09, 11:25 PM
aftermarket panels can easily be made to fit with a little time and patience. its mostly the bonnet line that needs closing up, a few blocks of wood along the flange and they sit a lot better.

Pistol Pete
03-03-09, 11:32 PM
Exactly what i did. Time and patience i ran out of the first time round hence why they have half a reel of mig wire melted onto them lol I can now mig half decently now though, so not all lost!!

Jack
04-03-09, 08:02 AM
Not even OEM wings are a guaranteed fit, factory tolerances are pretty poor.

There's a thought. As GM wings are NLS, does that mean in terms of insurance, if a front wing was damaged and needed replacing, the car would be written off?

Pistol Pete
04-03-09, 04:54 PM
I would assume so. If were talking about a Nova, any amount of damage would deem it written off, given average market values and the fact that most parts are no NLS!!

vaughanmc
04-03-09, 05:14 PM
I have a pattern wing on my car and the fit is about 95%

The swage line on the bottom of the wing running along the doors isn't 100% correct but it's not too bad

Doesn't bother me that much so thats the main thing

I'd go for them, some are good and some are quite poor; worth a gamble