PDA

View Full Version : missing reverse and 5th Gear xe?

DAFTJOHN
03-03-09, 05:10 PM
Howdy,

as the title says - missing reverse and 5th. The actual gear stick came off and that's back in place now.

worn linkage but odd I can't get both gears - any ideas folks

Ta

AlexW
03-03-09, 05:17 PM
Sounds like the linkage needs setting up again. Haynes manual FTW/search

Pistol Pete
03-03-09, 05:22 PM
As above.

burgo
03-03-09, 05:23 PM
i would say it needs adjusting if you couldnt get one or the other. but being as you cant get both i would say you linkage was fooked

DAFTJOHN
03-03-09, 05:36 PM
i would say it needs adjusting if you couldnt get one or the other. but being as you cant get both i would say you linkage was fooked

Yeah thinking the linkage - I'll get that swapped over.

Cheers

Riggy
03-03-09, 05:57 PM
could you get them before the stick came of , or have you just done the conversion ,

re-set the linkage and check that the little plastic bush has been flipped through 180 degree's

DAFTJOHN
03-03-09, 07:48 PM
yeah could get them fine. What's the plastic bush I'm looking for?

Cheers

auzzy-b
03-03-09, 09:26 PM
On the connection that goes directly into the gea box, unclip the spring loaded pin and flip it 180 as riggy said:thumb: . Did you lock the gearbox then line up the arrows on the gear lever before clamping the linkage??

DAFTJOHN
11-03-09, 05:57 PM
Had to stick the car into the garage cause reverse and 5th still missing. The garage can't get it lined up and say I need a new linkage, problem is what linkage? They say Vauxhall don't do them anymore. It's an xe, not sure what box but would it just be an Nova linkage or would it be a calibra if the engine came from a calibra? Not even sure what box it is?

Cheers

brainsnova
11-03-09, 05:59 PM
its probally an f20 gearbox so you need one of those linkages but i reckon it just needs adjusted as ive never seen one fail. the gearbox code is on the top where the clutch cable attaches.

DAFTJOHN
11-03-09, 06:08 PM
Cheers, that's 2 weeks we've been at it - got to the point the garage says it does not have a 5th.... so what about reverse - not have that too.

Just doesn't seem to fit

vx kev
24-03-09, 08:36 PM
Deffinately sounds to me as if the bush on the fork where the nova linkage joins to the box on top of the gearbox hasnt been turned out.
Have come across this problem time and time again, once this is flipped round to face outside the fork and then the linkage re-set all should be well. Normally :wtf:

let_nova
24-03-09, 09:28 PM
as above! if you are really stuck let me know i will be up this weekend.