PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to play HD DVDs?

Nova_Tek
03-03-09, 12:13 PM
Been having a fun time trying to find a program for XP that will play HD DVDs. I wanted to find out who on png watches HD DVDs on their pc so I get an idea of what software to use.

So far I have tried WinDVD 8 Platinum & PowerDVD 7 Deluxe. I have read that Nero showtime can playback HD DVDs & Blu Ray only with a plug in you buy but I use version 7 and I don't thikn there is one for it. Anyone know what version works?

Just looking for some info really anything that might help. I dont really wanna rip the HD DVD to my pc and convert it to watch it as it's a pain and I have like 40+ HD DVDs in my collection :cry:

Mucho Grazia :thumb:

dhdev (Oli)
03-03-09, 12:17 PM
I may be being dumb, but don't you need different hardware to be able to play HD Doovde and Blu-ray?

gtachorley
03-03-09, 12:21 PM
Again maybe being dumb but....

Your PC wont play HD DVD unless it has a HD DVD drive (standard dvd drive wont do), and Blue ray requires a Blue Ray disc reader. A standard DVD drive will only play standard DVDs.

Maybe wrong tho....

Nova_Tek
03-03-09, 12:27 PM
Again maybe being dumb but....

Your PC wont play HD DVD unless it has a HD DVD drive (standard dvd drive wont do), and Blue ray requires a Blue Ray disc reader. A standard DVD drive will only play standard DVDs.

Maybe wrong tho....

:wtf: What do you take me for dude? Don't make me give you bad rep now :D

Course I got a hd dvd drive.

Jack
03-03-09, 02:35 PM
PowerDVD 7(.3 to be precise) should run them, but its now legacy so you may have issues finding it. The latest v8 doesn't have HD doovde support, as its a dead media format.

As you're on XP, you may need a UDF driver - see here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1121712)

dj_wudgey
03-03-09, 04:16 PM
my ps3 plays sh*t like that for me now lol

johnny_turbo
03-03-09, 04:21 PM
i use vlc media player to watch mine

Tidy Max
03-03-09, 04:47 PM
ahh good old vlc, is there anything it doesn't do? infact im sure i woke up in bed with it after a particularly heavy night once lol

Jack
03-03-09, 05:48 PM
I'm sure I've got some high def wmvs it doesn't play :mad:

Stuart
03-03-09, 08:04 PM
LG make a bisexual HD/BR DVD drive that is next to shag all to buy now :D

or use the Xbox 360 one as they are £20 and im sure someone has cracked using it on a pc as its only USB

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 11:43 AM
LG make a bisexual HD/BR DVD drive that is next to shag all to buy now :D

or use the Xbox 360 one as they are £20 and im sure someone has cracked using it on a pc as its only USB

Im using the XBox HD DVD Drive. I got it working with XP I can explore the disk properly (all 25 gigs of it), rip the disc if I wanted to aswell. Just need something to be able to decode the video files. Im using the UDF 2.5 driver so XP can read the disc and all is good but just can't playback.

What a freaking nightmare it is to play back Hi Def DVDs.

Maybe if I update VLCPlayer it may play it as my current one won't.

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 12:03 PM
Just downlaoded VLC Player 0.9.8 low and behold it doesn't play HD DVD files either. lol

''NEXT PROGRAM''

Bubba
04-03-09, 12:32 PM
what screens ya using for that?

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 12:44 PM
CRT mate

Bubba
04-03-09, 12:49 PM
dnt need no fancy hd 1 for it? could you not run it through an HD tv?

Stuart
04-03-09, 12:54 PM
crt pc monitor will be fine

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 12:55 PM
Don't think it matters mate. Anyway the CRT is capable of doing 1920x1080 resolution.

The hassle is getting a software player that works.

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 02:06 PM
Almost getting there lads. I am using Media Player Classic (the one you get with K Lite codec pack). It doesn't play HD DVDs out the box but I have added some choice external filters and codecs to the player by reading up on a few sites.

It actually plays :D but... and theres always a but, it does judder on playback :( so I think I need to mess with filter / codec settings to get it just right. Either that or the random USB cable Im using with the drive is pooh lol