PDA

View Full Version : Shipping as a gift

L14MNP
03-03-09, 10:29 AM
I need to send something to Turkey and mark it as a gift. Apart from scrawling the word in my own childish hand is there a 'proper' way to do this?
I'm not sure if there will be a shipping label to print off which I can mark as gift?

Innit.

Pistol Pete
03-03-09, 10:31 AM
Excuse my stupidity, but why do you need to mark it as a gift??

L14MNP
03-03-09, 10:41 AM
To dodge import charges for the buyer mate. Genuine JDM RHD parts y0 lol.

Meh I will do my best. If it gets caught out that's his problem, had it happen to me a few times.

Jack
03-03-09, 10:42 AM
Because its a gift? lol

For customs tax purposes.

[edit] tut tut limp, HMRC are VERY tight on checking stuff at the moment. I'd strongly advise against marking things as gifts at the moment else you could find youself with a £1k fine.

Anyway, if you're sending it, who cares - its the buyer who will pay the charges lol

L14MNP
03-03-09, 10:50 AM
It was a set of mirrors but I replaced the folding motors with £1K of sniff. Will be reet...

I hear what you're saying fast_eddie but where are the T's & C's denoting what can/can't be sent as a gift? Surely a lot of that is up to me - or is is a case of whatever I send as a gift, if it gets bounced then I am eligible for the naughty boy fines?

I normally wouldn't GAF if he got charged or not, but he may want other parts from me too.

At the same time though, b0llocks do I want to be charged. lol

AlexW
03-03-09, 10:52 AM
Your giving a "friend" a present, mirrors for his car. Seems fine lol

L14MNP
03-03-09, 10:56 AM
lol That's my thinking too. Maybe I can write (G) on the box ala MSN :scratchchin

Jack
03-03-09, 10:59 AM
Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and import VAT is not chargeable if:

the value of the gift does not exceed £36
TBH the only difference between gift and not gift is the taxable threshold (i.e. £7 or £36). Just mark them down as gift, postage £15, and include a faux "receipt" inside with those figures.

Of course the problem then is that if RM decide to play football with the parcel - which they probably will - you can't claim compensation for damaged goods (well you can, but the value will be sod all)

[edit] Anyway, you're exporting, not importing. So it depends on the customs processes in Turkey, no?

L14MNP
03-03-09, 11:01 AM
Aint going with Royal Fail mate. Using Clickparcel.com (WTF they are lol)

Yeah I'll fake a receipt. Hope they don't get broken. Rare authentic JDM parts sourced by myself from Japan - oh wait this isn't an eBay description lol

Cheers for the LD RJ.

jimbob-mcgrew
03-03-09, 12:28 PM
at my work (well.. kinda work), international stuff that gets sent out thru royal mail that is outside the european union, they class it as ROW (rest of world) and we have to stick a customs sticker on it that has a brief description of what it is, how much its worth, and whether its documents or a gift, etc. u get the idea. theyll prob give u one of these stickers at the post office to stick on the package. as far as the whole tax evasion thing goes.. i wouldnt know anything about that.