PDA

View Full Version : strange noise

novalew
03-03-09, 08:00 AM
hi everyone

Tigger is playing up again!!

Got a loud rattling when i accelerate and on tick over

feels like its firing on 3 cylinders, assumed it would be sparks/leads but nope then did head gasket but to no avail

can anyone give me any help?

Nova_Tek
03-03-09, 12:19 PM
The loud rattling could be water pump bearings on their way out, I had this on my engine thought it was an imminent engine failure waiting to happen then realised that it was coming from the cambelt side of the engine. It wasn't leaking coolant for me to thikn its the water pump but it was the bearings that gave up hence the crazy noise. The running on 3 cylinders is ignition, fuelling issue. Did you do a compression check to see why it is running rough?

novalew
04-03-09, 12:52 PM
i changed the head gasket thinkin it was that!!
the water pump was changed last june, could it be broke already?

it happened after some kids left large rocks which i could not avoid and went over them.

my car still ticks over like normal and goes like normal just rattles louder as i go faster!

sorry i'm really stuck with this one!!

16xe_chris
04-03-09, 01:04 PM
Have you checked everything underneath the engine, sump pan may be bent or you could have damaged the bottom pulley?

Ernie
04-03-09, 01:10 PM
You may still have a small child stuck underneath hopefully.

16xe_chris
04-03-09, 01:34 PM
You may still have a small child stuck underneath hopefully.

lol lol He'll be banging on the sump, thats the noise you can hear:thumb:

Nova_Tek
04-03-09, 02:03 PM
If you went over something rough then it might be suspension related or like 16xe chris said done some damage to the external part of the engine.

Jack
04-03-09, 02:13 PM
You do still have oil in it... yes? lol

novalew
04-03-09, 04:45 PM
yep its still holding oil

just making a loud progressive rattling