PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fuel Pump

YellowTurbo
02-01-03, 03:39 PM
I have got a Facet Silver top Competetion Fuel pump for my 1.2 that has got twin 40's

Do i have to fit it by the fuel tank or can i fit it in the engine bay?

YellowTurbo
02-01-03, 07:42 PM
are competetion fuel pumps supposed to tap when turned on or is it shaged?

mikeoxford
02-01-03, 08:56 PM
i think TBO the need for a fuel pump on 40s is VERY debatable

i was running an uprated manual fuel pump in place of mine and it was running terrible

replaced it for my standard 1.4 manual pump and it works blissfully!

if you do fit an electrical pump - which ent a bad idea as it helps starting as it will prime the carbs prior to take off :P

YOU DO NEED to fit a regulator to stop too much pressure going to the carbs from the pump

neiloakley
03-01-03, 08:11 AM
The question wethere or not you need a fuel pump is debateable but i certainly would not bother with a performance one (not for the extra cash). But as mike says, you will need a regulator and these can sometimes cost more than the pumps. At work, we sell two main types. one is ?116+vat the other is ?517+vat but they are motorsports ones. Just stick with standard fuel pump and a high rate filter off a BMW or summit.

rob.slader
03-01-03, 11:15 AM
I am running twin 40's, using the standard 1400sr mechanical fuel pump with no pressure regulator. I have no problems what so ever, I don't believe either are needed, as long as the carbs are in good condition you shouldn't have a problem. The 1300sport which ran 40's didn't have either of these too.

neiloakley
03-01-03, 11:25 AM
and the sport rally cars i've still still run the original fuel pump. The only time i have ever seen a larger fuel pump installed is when we install 8 injectors in cosworths and then have a nippon denso fuel pres reg and a higher press fuel pump.

mikeoxford
03-01-03, 07:05 PM
to confirm it sounds like i run same t40 setup as rob

mowgli
04-01-03, 07:59 AM
when fitting any electrical pump, it always works better nearer the supply, EFI pressure pumps are always under the back end. the reason is that if it runs dry, from low fuel & fast cornering, it has to suck less to get the supply to work.
the old cam powered diaphragm pump will just pump for ever.
I've got a Morris Minor pickup, and the factory fitted electric pump only ticks when it has run out of fuel.....

brian
04-01-03, 04:38 PM
its normal for the comp pump to make a tap or tick noise when runin.

YellowTurbo
05-01-03, 12:11 AM
I fitted the comp pump anyhow as i had it spare and the regulator and my car runs much, much smoother now, runs smooth all the way through the revs.

where as i was having flat spots at high revs in second.

I have only got a 1200 and it has been some work to set the carbs set up but the setup i am running now is running sweet and just under 98 BHP so i am happy

rob.slader
05-01-03, 09:39 AM
98bhp out of a 1.2????!!!! Thats good going, is that at the wheels or the fly? What other engine mods have you got apart from the 40's? Do you know what jetting you have too?

YellowTurbo
05-01-03, 11:16 AM
that is at the wheels, i think.

I have got a Irmscher sport cam from th enova sport pack upgrade package.

beleive it or not the two carbs are jetted different i found it runs better like that.

only slighty

rob.slader
05-01-03, 02:54 PM
Thats around 112bhp at the flywheel. Not bad from a 1.2!! A bit odd why each carb is jetted differently though? Have you an exhaust manifold or a modified head at all?

mikeoxford
05-01-03, 06:25 PM
:o thats a whole lotta power from a 1.2!

just from a cam and fortys?

do you know how they have been jetted by any chance?

rob.slader
05-01-03, 06:36 PM
Thinking about it, that seems a bit too much BHP for a 1.2 with any mod bar NOS! Even if the DCOE jetting was OTT for a 1.2 (i.e over 120 or so), you wouldn't see any more power gains as you would just be over fuelling. I do know that a lot of rolling road figures differ though, some over state and some under state. I'm sure other peeps on here will vouch for that. I've had mine on a few RR's and the figures were very suprisingly different.

mikeoxford
05-01-03, 07:06 PM
you only get 101BHP from the FLYWHEEL on a standard 1.6 8v GTE as far as i know

YellowTurbo
05-01-03, 07:10 PM
97.6 BHP at the flywheel i got on the RR.

and i got 102.4 BHP on another RR.

both at the flywheel, so it those change between RR's

neiloakley
06-01-03, 08:38 AM
RR need to be calibrated like any other measuring equipment but because the price you pay is not dependant on the power measured, there is no law requiring them to be calibrated. So go to a place that looks like its fairly new. Older places (or tight cunts) are less likely to pay someone to come in and calibrate thier RR