PDA

View Full Version : carpenter/joiner folks (or even builders)

Stuart
02-03-09, 04:53 PM
I want/need to fit a new timber front door. My usual woodbutcher is busy for 4 weeks and its hugely likely that I'll be back at work by then (I hope).

I'm considering the job as a DIY task... thing is measuring the fecking thing is proving annoying as the 2 of the 3 frames wickes supply fit one way but not the other (if you get the gist of that). I assume you can trim a kit form frame down on the outer edges etc. Any other comedy pitfalls that I'm likely to endure?

Lock fitting etc should be easy enough.

Failing that, any chippies local to Stortford who want a nice CIH job :D

srs1
02-03-09, 05:43 PM
ask scott parker when he gets online stu.

carpentry is his job

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 05:45 PM
Send me a pic and measurements to Fusion_Entertainment1@hotmail.com ill have a look and send you back what you need to buy and how to go about it :thumb:

Reading that again you say you want to fit a new door but then you talk about frames? Do you need to replace the frame or do you just need a new door?

ade
02-03-09, 06:18 PM
all I know is the hinge at the bottom is usually 9" up and the one at the top is 6" down - summut to do with your eye sees the distances and judges them to be the same from a perspective point of view.

Also I believe you always shave the bottom as the batton across it is bigger there.

TBH Id pay wickes to do it...but then I'm currently feeling lazy...

Stuart
02-03-09, 06:21 PM
Want to fit a new frame too as the current one flexes too much ( you can slam the door shut with the lock latched out!!!)

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:22 PM
You would plane the bottom rail and also the hinge rail. Doors come in different sizes so select to your need. I ALWAYS put 3 hinges on a external door....

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:23 PM
Stu what is the size of your opening? From Brick work to brick work. Just measure the existing frame...

Andy
02-03-09, 06:25 PM
PVC FTW So much easier and easier to maintain.No rot,no paint/varnishing etc
You can get wood looking PVC doors these are fairly expensive but are very nice.They are called composite doors.

Mike
02-03-09, 06:27 PM
You can get wood looking PVC doors these are fairly expensive but are very nice.They are called composite doors.

Easier to fit aswell, pack of Fischer fixings, an SDS drill & bit & UPVC frame sealer :D job done.

Stuart
02-03-09, 06:28 PM
0.903M x 2.07-2.08M (thats from under the step to the top)

I like wood :D, and uPVC is farking expensive.. then again I need to spend about £100 extra on locks etc too lol

Andy
02-03-09, 06:30 PM
Easier to fit aswell, pack of Fischer fixings, an SDS drill & bit & UPVC frame sealer :D job done.
Not quite as easy as it sounds or looks though.;)
Also whatever route you take,measure brick to brick width and height and knock 10mm off width and 10mm off height.You obviously dont want a frame making at 920mm if your brickwork is 920 as some bricks are slightly out.(ALWAYS)

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:31 PM

I just replaced my door with a uPVC item and i wish id done it sooner tbh :thumb:

Andy
02-03-09, 06:32 PM
I just replaced my door with a uPVC item and i wish id done it sooner tbh :thumb:
Aye,there is alot to be said about them.:thumb:

Mike
02-03-09, 06:33 PM
Not quite as easy as it sounds or looks though.;)

I didnt find it hard fitting a double door patio unit & opening bathroom window unit TBH. (With, at the time, NO experience at fitting UPVC or wooden units)

If anything, the hardest bit was the toe & heeling, but even that wasnt bad at all really.

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:33 PM
0.903M x 2.07-2.08M (thats from under the step to the top)

Is that brick to brick or your existing frame?

Stuart
02-03-09, 06:37 PM
Brick to brick.

the top to bottom is to the top edge of the frame as there is a timber porch over the top of that, and to the bottom of the step/threshold.

I'd always thought a uPVC door would be bad as in a fire the door could melt and stop you from opening it.....?

Andy
02-03-09, 06:40 PM
Brick to brick.

the top to bottom is to the top edge of the frame as there is a timber porch over the top of that, and to the bottom of the step/threshold.

I'd always thought a uPVC door would be bad as in a fire the door could melt and stop you from opening it.....?
Nah,they are Steel reinforced,the lock barrel and mechanism etc is all attached to the steel.So in a fire it can still be opened.Ive fitted loads of PVC fire escape doors with a panic bar so they wouldnt be allowed if that was the case.

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:42 PM
Thats a fairly big door lol

Andy
02-03-09, 06:48 PM
Thats a fairly big door lol
Eh?!
Standard size is that.

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:48 PM
Your measurements: 910mm x 2080mm (max)

You could go for this

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Portable-Power/Premium-Hardwood-Door-Frame/invt/155326

External frame size is 2067 x 850mm, That leaves you 50mm+ to fill at the top?

That just leaves you needing a 1981 x 762 x 44mm door.

Tbh theres not much on the wickes site. Do you have a stamco nearby?

Might want to check this out:

http://www.directdoors.com/products/exterior-doors-c6/

FUSION X16XE
02-03-09, 06:51 PM
Eh?!
Standard size is that.

I take that back lol I converted to mm's and some how ended up with odd numbers lol