PDA

View Full Version : Argh tbh

Leeboo
02-03-09, 12:59 PM
Got a Nova here with a 1200 carb engine. I've fitted a 4 branch and swapped the inlet and twin choke carb from a 1300 mk2 astra engine (same as SR). It seems to be overfuelling very badly, it will cut out and you need to keep dabbing the throttle to keep it going.

I've been advised to fit the 1300 cam also, as it will match the fuelling of the carb better? Any other opinions too?

I might swap the distributor cap and coil etc too incase as I have spares!

Fankoo.

craig green
02-03-09, 01:25 PM
Looks like you have answered your own question tbh. Why would a 1300 carb run nicely when dropped on a 1200. Overfuelling is the 1st concern.

The cam may help but the carb still needs jetting & setting up for the smaller capacity engine.

Leeboo
02-03-09, 01:33 PM
Well its a bit of a grey area for me. I've ran a 1300 engine with a 1600 carb before and this 1300 carb I'm using now, powered a 1600 engine very well.

So I thought a carb off a 1.3 would work ok on a 1200, perhaps with the fuelling turned down a little. Might get it tuned a bit. So hopefully with the cam it will work a little better.

craig green
02-03-09, 01:44 PM
The std 1200 cam has barely any lift, so 1.2's don't draw a lot of fuel tbh.

However anyone that understands engines will laugh at your last statement tbh. It's not really something you should mess with tbh. Get it to a garage/mechanic that knows the ins & outs of carbs & get it setup.

jimbob-mcgrew
02-03-09, 03:35 PM
yeh youll prob wanna fit that 1300 cam to match the fueling a bit better, you might need the ignition system to go with the cam possibly.
like craig said, unless you know what your doing, best of taking it to a garage to get the carb setup. if its running rich the combustion chambre will slowly get caked in coke and clog up the worx. if its running lean, then the chance for internal damage might occour later down the road, engines run a fair bit hotter when lean, and ive been told its this added heat that can fry piston rings and bend valves.

im sure 50 to 100 miles wont knacker anything.. but u wanna try set it up the best u can then roll it down to the garage.

Leeboo
02-03-09, 03:49 PM
Craig - I'm just learning, thats why I'm asking!

Well I have 1300 spares so I have a cam that I can fit, it uses the same black distributor too. Then I will bring it to a fella who has adjusted carb for me in the past. I wouldn't know my way round a carb too well.

We did have it going pretty decent for a while, took it for a very short blast down the road without even a miss! But seems to go crap when cold.

Cheers dudes. I will report back to thread once I've got it sorted