PDA

View Full Version : Bentley Continental GT "Mullinger" What a dissapointment :(

DW-Nova
28-02-09, 09:11 PM
Hello all, at work my boss bought himself a 2006 Bentley Continental GT "mullinger" it was flood damaged and after a whole lot of work it's now all sorted and on the road, anyhow i went for a ride in it with him and what a complete dissapointment :(

Right for those not in the know the car is a 6 Litre V12 twin turbo with supposedley 600bhp, the car weigh's in at 2.8 tonnes :eek: iirc they cost £125,000 new !!!

Anyhow he kept going on about how amazing it was and that it was the fastest car he's ever driven so i said take me for a ride in it then, now i expected it to be absolutley amazing !! after all it did cost the same price as a house lol well we pulled off and he floored it, well it obviously wasnt slow but it really was nothing special at all !!! very very dissapointing !!! i would honestley be completley gutted if i'd spent £125,000 on a new one of these.

Lastly as it's all been in bits to fix it you realise that it's basically just a VW parts bin special, the engine appears to be based on two R32 golf engined nailed together, the quality of the interior trim is dire !! and everything has a VW,Seat,Audi,Skoda badge on.

Now i may sound jealous but i'm really not ! when he first got it i thought that it was amazing !! but it's true colours are now showing through !

Comments please.

Asa-James
28-02-09, 09:13 PM
remember that from the inside it wont be fast, its designed to cruise, plus the damn things huge and your probably sat quite high up.

i wouldnt say no to one though...

mowgli
28-02-09, 09:19 PM
the word that is used when mentioning the performance of a bentley is effortless. the idea is to get there fast, but not knackered...

of course it is a parts bin special... all limited production hand built cars will have bits from other makers on them

DW-Nova
01-03-09, 09:31 PM
To be honest it was just a dissapointment altogether, i realise that the thing is as heavy as a church but you still would expect it to push you back in your seat when you nailed it hey, it just seems like a bit of a dissapointment on the whole really, i.e the build quality should really be second to none but when you start taking things apart you see how poorly they have been put together !! i.e. the leather on the door cards is stapled and glued inplace where you cant see it instead of stitched, the seatbelts dont retract back in place like they should and it should be silent at speed whereas you get loads of wind noise !! rant over lol.

Welsh Dan
01-03-09, 10:00 PM
Surely the lack of interior build quality is down to the rebuild?

The 600bhp Continental has, according to Parkers, a 4.3s 0-60 so its no slouch.

Jealousy is a terrible thing.

7ova
01-03-09, 10:11 PM
the continetal gt used to be the fav with most footballers
i'd pick a few other cars at less than half the price before
the bentley, but it is a nice looking motor

RJM25R
02-03-09, 07:58 AM
Bentley "Mulliner"

The engine is a W12, not a V12. The Mulliner specification is an upgrade of the standard spec, to make it more "Sporting"

As quoted by Bentley

"The stunning Bentley Continental GT coupé will now have even further visual appeal with the creation of an optional range of contemporary design features packaged as the Mulliner Driving Specification.

Designed by Bentley’s bespoke coachbuilding division, the Mulliner Driving Specification is being offered in direct response to customer demand for a more overtly sporting character to the Continental GT."

I'm lucky enough to have driven one (Our MD has one) and it is COLLOSSAL! It'll go past anything except a petrol station!

The one you've been in is obviously knackered!

Jack
02-03-09, 08:14 AM
but you still would expect it to push you back in your seat when you nailed it
I think you're making the assumption that big engine = fast racer. Fail.

George g
02-03-09, 08:54 AM
IIRC it was the first luxury barge to join the 200mph club. Bentleys & Rolls Royces are meant to get to speed hastily, but not spill the champagne from your passengers flutes... maybie the re-build was a bit shoddy, but if you were to try and follow it in your average car, the bentley would be long gone...

spanishfly
02-03-09, 09:20 AM
Not read the thread however after pimping around in a continental GT convertable I can firmly say that either 'full throtle' was half throtle or you haven't been in one. There rapid for such a big car, no actually there rapid regardless. Once it gets moving it's even more devestating at how it propells you.
The only difference I can think of is the one I drove had 34 miles on it and was owned by the MD of Bentley. Oh and it was built by Bentley too:)

MK999
02-03-09, 11:38 AM
maybe the rebuild was toyota 355 style, and underneath the bentley shape panels it's a rover 75? lol

dj_wudgey
02-03-09, 11:57 AM
i dont like them really myself not old enough lol