PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

Ben Ritchie
02-01-03, 01:07 AM
hey guys,

i am away to start a project nova when i can find a bloody shell :evil: and want to put a roll cage in. can you guys give me some info on how hard they are to fit and wot cost i would be lokoking at. if anyone has one to sell or can give me some websites i would aprreciate it.

cheers
Ben :D

?Marty?
04-01-03, 01:19 AM
easy

Chris LR
04-01-03, 01:21 AM
Do u intend of using it for what it was designed for? Racing/Rallying?

Ben Ritchie
04-01-03, 03:30 PM
nah i aint gonna use it for its purpose
i just think it will look cool plus they do help your car
if you roll it and i have done that before and was lucky to survive
so i have wanted one since then just for safety.do you know where i cud
get one

v1nce
04-01-03, 05:49 PM
Do u intend of using it for what it was designed for? Racing/Rallying?

Rolling? LOL

Ben Ritchie
04-01-03, 06:41 PM
if it is easy cool.marty then how bout you help me then :)

?Marty?
04-01-03, 11:41 PM
Ok, i'll help you then.

Ben Ritchie
05-01-03, 12:29 AM
being a bit childish are we co.marty. if you wanna help me then fine help me but if you are just gonna be like this then dont

mikeoxford
05-01-03, 06:23 PM
perhaps speak to olly?

it seems he got a VERY good deal from rolla centre?

who they are or what they do i dont quite know

his looks sweet as well, think he posted a pic a few days back in genarel chat

?Marty?
05-01-03, 06:36 PM
Ok then.

What style do you want?

If it's a thick polished alloy then Fearless do one for ?600 (rear cage with diagonal and rear strut-brace).

If it's a proper steel/functional one (FIA approved) then you can get a Safety Devices one. These come in different types - from rear cage with diagonal, to a full front and rear (with/without sunroof option) with door bars. These also come as bolt-in or weld in options.
The price ranges from ?200 to ?700, with another ?100 or so for powdercoating in your chosen colour. See Demon Tweeks, Courteney and etc for more details.

The bolt in one's are easy to fit (it's a case of removing your seats and maybe seatbelts/seatbelt mounts) assembling the cage inside and drilling holes (check for fuel lines/tyres and etc underneath where you're drilling) then bolting it down.

Weld in one's are obviously more difficult.

Then there's places like the one Olly used.

Or do what i did. Use masking tape and empty toilet roll tubes. Then spray them white for the motorsport look, or wrap kitchen foil for the L.A. streetracer look. Sorted!

ollster
06-01-03, 01:15 AM
Rollcentre are full FIA approved spec, but if your car has got a sunroof its not FIA approved anyway. Safty devices only do a rear half cage (with no diagonal) for cars with sunroofs, wheras rollcentre will do whateva you want. My cage was the first one cage they had done for a car with a sunroof, so i had to take a few measurements, but it fits perfectly.

mikeoxford
06-01-03, 02:41 AM
whats different then? do one of the bars obstruct the sun roof?

?Marty?
06-01-03, 03:53 AM
Sorry, i think you shall find that you can get a full cage from safety devices, that is made to fit models with a sun roof. Obviously it won't be FiA approved though, as you can't use sun roof models for racing. Weaker shell.

You're correct Mike, one of the bars obstructs the opening of the sunroof.

ollster
06-01-03, 09:51 AM
After speaking to safety devices direct they told me that the only cage that they now make for a nova with a sunroof is thier street cage, which has no diagonal etc, its just a hoop.

And mike the reason why the sunroof models are different is because the roof lining is about 2 inch's lower down than on a non sunroof model (because of the tilt slide s/r mechanism).

dave.gsi
06-01-03, 10:18 AM
that'll be why i used to bang me head on the roof of my old sr (sunroof) but not on my new one (no sunroof) lol

Ben Ritchie
08-01-03, 02:12 PM
:lol: :lol: at dave sr