PDA

View Full Version : sudden loss of revs

Curtoise
28-02-09, 02:03 PM
hi iv got a 1.2i in my nova and the other day i was driving it along normally and all the revs died for about 2 seconds, pretty weird i thought, it has done it twice now, but no recently, any ideas?

mk2maniac
03-03-09, 09:18 AM
i had the same problem and all dash lights came on. didn't stall just died on me???????????
ferhook nos

AlexW
03-03-09, 09:27 AM
Flashing the fault codes is easy enough to do.

Under the bonnet, on the right hand side of the blukhead there are 2 items, one is a 10pin plug (think its 10) with about 4 wires going into it.

Remove it from the blukhead and have it so the little clip that holds it onto the plastic that is on the blukhead is at the bottom (with all the pins facing you) and then bridge the ones in the very top left (should be A and B iirc)

Then go and turn the ign on and the ECU light will flash out the codes, it will have like 4 flashs and then a break and then 5 flashs depending on the code but that would equal 45, once you know the problem then its a case of checking a list of the codes. If you get 12 it means theres no ECU fault, or it hasnt logged a fault.

Curtoise
22-03-09, 04:49 PM
right it happend again today UBER BADLY didnt know wat the fook was going on lol so i spoke to some people about and they said look in the air filter, good idear look what i found

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii448/curtreid8/088.jpg

and its all down the pipe that goes onto the air filter?!?!?!?!? like a clogged artery what is this pipe and what is the little paleish box in the next picture because the pipe comes from this

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii448/curtreid8/091.jpg

thanks for the help

brainsnova
22-03-09, 05:13 PM
its the oil breather thing is clogged up its bolted to the back off the engine id take it off and clean it out or vent it away from the filter.

novalicous
22-03-09, 06:28 PM
it looks like someones taken a large dump in your airbox lol

napalm_27
22-03-09, 06:35 PM
iirc curt theres two 10 or 13mm bolts holding the breather box to the block undo them and take it off and clean it all out then clean the filter etc

shaneyboi35
22-03-09, 10:06 PM
lmfao sure does look like someone couldnt make the bog in time

Guderian
23-03-09, 02:09 PM
On a purchased vauxhall of this age the first thing i do is replace the 'air return hose' that runs from the OSR wheelarch to the petrol tank. It is intended as an 'anti-glop device' to stop your feet getting wet when refilling your tank. The rubber is not very resistant to road salt, and starts to rot after 10 years.

The porous hose then funnels water down into the petrol every time you drive in the rain, and as they are insoluble the beads roll around in the bottom of the tank until the car chooses to suck them up.

Go to a hose manufacturer not vauxhall. cheaper and more availability.

Treat the car with 'wynns dry fuel'- (Purple bottle, Halfrauds, if you have to) as this emulsifies the remaining water and enables it to be burnt with the petrol (clever, eh?)

I have had this prob on two mk II cavs and also on a Mk II Nova like yours.

You can always tell a vauxhall that is suffering this ailment- as generally somebody has already changed coil, HT leads, plugs, rotor arm, fuel filter etc, for nice new shiny ones!

There is an accessibility problem on the Nova tank and you either have to remove the exhaust and the tank to get to the hose.... or unstrap the tank, let it swivel/drop 2" onto the exhaust... this gives you enough clearance to cold chisel or nibble an access hole from inside the car,where the OSR passenger's bum usually is. Naughty but quick. I did it the hard way. Of course..

pic available by email if required

Dave

Curtoise
23-03-09, 05:35 PM
On a purchased vauxhall of this age the first thing i do is replace the 'air return hose' that runs from the OSR wheelarch to the petrol tank. It is intended as an 'anti-glop device' to stop your feet getting wet when refilling your tank. The rubber is not very resistant to road salt, and starts to rot after 10 years.

The porous hose then funnels water down into the petrol every time you drive in the rain, and as they are insoluble the beads roll around in the bottom of the tank until the car chooses to suck them up.

Go to a hose manufacturer not vauxhall. cheaper and more availability.

Treat the car with 'wynns dry fuel'- (Purple bottle, Halfrauds, if you have to) as this emulsifies the remaining water and enables it to be burnt with the petrol (clever, eh?)

I have had this prob on two mk II cavs and also on a Mk II Nova like yours.

You can always tell a vauxhall that is suffering this ailment- as generally somebody has already changed coil, HT leads, plugs, rotor arm, fuel filter etc, for nice new shiny ones!

There is an accessibility problem on the Nova tank and you either have to remove the exhaust and the tank to get to the hose.... or unstrap the tank, let it swivel/drop 2" onto the exhaust... this gives you enough clearance to cold chisel or nibble an access hole from inside the car,where the OSR passenger's bum usually is. Naughty but quick. I did it the hard way. Of course..

pic available by email if required

Dave

thanks for that mate, i think i will give the breather thing a try first, and whats this got to do with the gunk coming outa the oil breather? lol thanks for the help

Guderian
24-03-09, 12:26 PM
Hi, it's got nothing to do with the gunk in the oil breather, and i assumed that the gunge problem probably had nothing to do with the poor running. probably just the emission control system producing crud. (i can't open your pics for some reason!)

Classic symptoms of the water in petrol prob are sudden engine cut (often at speed) sometimes followed by immediate restart, however sometimes car grinds to a halt and requires several lots of cranking on the starter to pull some clean fuel through!

Of course this may not be the prob you are experiencing--- but it is certainly a cheap job that improves your chances of avoiding breakdowns in the future. When you get the old hose off it generally looks like something Time Team have just dug up.

nova_saloon
24-03-09, 12:36 PM
good god what a mess

Curtoise
24-03-09, 12:38 PM
Hi, it's got nothing to do with the gunk in the oil breather, and i assumed that the gunge problem probably had nothing to do with the poor running. probably just the emission control system producing crud. (i can't open your pics for some reason!)

Classic symptoms of the water in petrol prob are sudden engine cut (often at speed) sometimes followed by immediate restart, however sometimes car grinds to a halt and requires several lots of cranking on the starter to pull some clean fuel through!

Of course this may not be the prob you are experiencing--- but it is certainly a cheap job that improves your chances of avoiding breakdowns in the future. When you get the old hose off it generally looks like something Time Team have just dug up.

haha thanks mate i will look into it, and if you could see this pic im sure this is the problem and has been going on for a while by the looks of the pipe, gonna be a fun weekend coming :(