PDA

View Full Version : Lowered rose jointed tie bar brackets

dumpycorsa
28-02-09, 10:04 AM
Hi. I've got some rose jointed tie bar brackets and I've stripped them down due to them needing a refurb. The spherical bearings that were fitted in these brackets were packed out with insulation tape!! I'm sure this wasn't how they were originally so I've been trying to source some new bearings. Trouble is the size I need doesn't seem to exist so I thought I'd ask on here what bearings people have in theirs. The bearing I need needs to have a bore dia of 14mm and an external dia of 35mm. Most of these types of bearing are imperial so in imperial its a bore of 0,551" and a dia of 1,378". The bearing I had in mine are metric 34 o/d 14mm bore and width of 19mm which I can get but don't fit in the bearing recess:confused: Ie o/d is a mm to small so it's loose

16xe_chris
28-02-09, 10:10 AM
Hi. I've got some rose jointed tie bar brackets and I've stripped them down due to them needing a refurb. The spherical bearings that were fitted in these brackets were packed out with insulation tape!! I'm sure this was how they were originally so I've been trying to source some new bearings. Trouble is the size I need doesn't seem to exist so I thought I'd ask on here what bearings people have in theirs. The bearing I need needs to have a bore dia of 14mm and an external dia of 35mm. Most of these types of bearing are imperial so in imperial its a bore of 0,551" and a dia of 1,378". The bearing I had in mine are metric 34 o/d 14mm bore and width of 19mm which I can get but don't fit in the bearing recess:confused: Ie o/d is a mm to small so it's loose

Can you not get slightly oversized bearings and have some one machien them out a little? safer than tape:eek:

I have just fitted a set of these but haven't a clue what size the bearings are??

dumpycorsa
28-02-09, 10:18 AM
If the bearing housing is 35 mm you'd think that was for a specific reason. They could have made it 34mm if a standard metric bearing has an O/D of 34mm and a bore of 14mm.

Machining them is an option but why make them so you can't use a standard size bearing?

16xe_chris
28-02-09, 10:24 AM
If the bearing housing is 35 mm you'd think that was for a specific reason. They could have made it 34mm if a standard metric bearing has an O/D of 34mm and a bore of 14mm.

Machining them is an option but why make them so you can't use a standard size bearing?

How old are they? did you buy them brand new as someone coud of had a tinker time with them before?

dumpycorsa
28-02-09, 10:34 AM
Thats the problem. I bought them second hand. I'm not sure whats been done but cant imagine the bearing were packed in with insulation tape when they were new. If they couldn't get the correct size bearings and just went for the nearest size poss then maybe thats why they packed them like that? If worst comes to it I could press them in with some 20thou shim around the outside.