PDA

View Full Version : fluid leaking from front of car.

bmw156
27-02-09, 06:32 PM
hey guys and girls.

possibly wrong section, but didnt think it was to mechanical lol.

i have some fluid leaking from the front of my car, it did it once i got to the chippy. then once i got back to kellys house, and then it stopped. checked all the levels of the fluids under the hood and they are fine. no major drops, if any drops.

wiped finger through the pile and it didnt have a smell and was colourless. so rules out petrol, oil, brake fluid?

only leaves water lol

the inside wing looks wet and there seems to be some spray on the coil.

please help lol

admins, if this is wrong section, please move

MK999
27-02-09, 06:35 PM
would point to radiator hose imo, how much of a leak are we talking, enough to empty the header tank or would the level likely look 'ok' even with the leak?

Iain
27-02-09, 06:37 PM
Why were you going to Kellys house?

bmw156
27-02-09, 06:38 PM
it was a drip but a fast drip lol. and the header tank was looking good. and the leak stopped, but the header was still full. this is what is confussing me lol.

i shall check the hoses. have tried the short one which goes to the header for movment but nothing. will have to try a few others.

and the liquid was dripping from two places. on the front of the wing.

edit for above post.
ummmm why was i going there, because i was over that end of town, and just got lunch from chippy lol, so was going there to eat it. not enough emty house time for that, and not even enough risk it time lol

MK999
27-02-09, 06:43 PM
filled anything up recently? the washer bottle drips onto the inner wing when it's overfilled slightly

Ernie
27-02-09, 06:44 PM
check that none of the hoses have a split in them which opens once under pressure then close'sonce cold.Also make sure that a jubile clip hasnt cut into any of the hoses.

Andy
27-02-09, 06:45 PM
My money is on a split/leaking washer bottle

VXandy
27-02-09, 06:46 PM
filled anything up recently? the washer bottle drips onto the inner wing when it's overfilled slightly

+1

bmw156
27-02-09, 06:50 PM
header tank is at the fill level. yeh i filled it up, but only to the fill level which is about half way. will check the hoses for splits etc. once the car is started does that mean they will be under pressure straight away. so should start leaking?

Stuart
27-02-09, 06:52 PM
taste it... as its not making your fingers tingle its not battery acid so you are "safe" (ps if you die its not my bad)

MK999
27-02-09, 06:54 PM
sounds to me like it's just a minor spillage tbh, worth checking hoses over just to be sure, but the fact you filled them up recently has probably made you more aware of what you'd normally ignore :) comes under pressure with heat, as everything starts expanding, and thermostat is only open when it's warm

Pistol Pete
27-02-09, 06:54 PM
lol @ Stu.

Check the rad and hoses for splits/leaks. Should show up once the car is warm.

MK999
27-02-09, 06:56 PM
taste it... as its not making your fingers tingle its not battery acid so you are "safe" (ps if you die its not my bad)
lol quality disclaimer action, you assume he didn't fill the header with cyanide though! lol

Stuart
27-02-09, 06:58 PM
I cant disclaimer for EVERY conceivable retarded possibility lol

if the engine is warm and the water is cold then its not the rad imho

Novasport
27-02-09, 09:34 PM

Lets hope a cat or dog hasnt p!ssed up the front panellol

vxr_racing_2008
27-02-09, 09:39 PM
oooooo i think ul have to sell it to me cheap, its not worth the hasslelol lol