PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox help

andrew1988
27-02-09, 12:07 PM
Sorry for sounding stupid here, havn't got a clue about gearboxes.

Im putting a x16xe in my nova and im concerned about what to do with the speedo. Can the f15 gearbox be converted to run with a mechnical speedo from electrical or vice versa? Im a little confused, to tell the truth im not even sure what im asking lol.

I'll try again, the x16xe has an electronic sender on gearbox i think. Can i use corsa clocks with that or even any electronically driven clocks vx220 etc?

Or can it be converted to use mechanically driven clocks ive already got (from a gte)?

Thanks for help

If it doesnt make any sense or im so wrong its ridiculous then take pity lol

AlexW
27-02-09, 12:13 PM
Does F15's not have the normal mechanical type? could you get a pic?

andrew1988
27-02-09, 12:17 PM
Not until tuesday, its at the yard where all our cars are stored and not back from there until then. Just put c16xe in corsa and im fairly sure speedo plugged in with electrical connection rather than typical nova mechnical cable

burgo
27-02-09, 02:24 PM
theres a 10mm bolt holding your original speedo drive in the box. undo this and remove it from you old box and put it in the new one. bish bash bosh!!!! job done :)

having said that you could do with an spi speedo drive as they have the vehicle speed sensor that you need for the x16xe.

although before we get ahead of ourselfs check your new box as it may already have a mechanical speedo drive with the vss

andrew1988
27-02-09, 03:27 PM
theres a 10mm bolt holding your original speedo drive in the box. undo this and remove it from you old box and put it in the new one. bish bash bosh!!!! job done :)

having said that you could do with an spi speedo drive as they have the vehicle speed sensor that you need for the x16xe.

although before we get ahead of ourselfs check your new box as it may already have a mechanical speedo drive with the vss

Im quite sure that the gearbox is electrical. So any spi engine has the sensor for the x16xe? Does it matter that my x16 is wired up as a c16xe to get rid of the immobiliser?

Also, can a range of clocks be driven off an electrical sensor?

burgo
27-02-09, 03:30 PM
its not the clocks that run off the vss. the ecu uses the signal from it to know when the car is moving or not. basicaly without it you will stall each time you come up to a junction

andrew1988
27-02-09, 03:39 PM
oh! i understand now. So its any spi vss i need?

burgo
27-02-09, 03:49 PM
yep

Adam
27-02-09, 04:07 PM
its not the clocks that run off the vss. the ecu uses the signal from it to know when the car is moving or not. basicaly without it you will stall each time you come up to a junction
Later corsas have electronic speedos ;)

The car loom that came with my engine had a speed sensor that fitted to where the speedo drive should go(not like a spi vss, kind of like a crank sensor), so you cant use a standard speedo drive afaik.....

My f15 was a early mech speedo one

andrew1988
27-02-09, 04:16 PM
Later corsas have electronic speedos ;)

The car loom that came with my engine had a speed sensor that fitted to where the speedo drive should go(not like a spi vss, kind of like a crank sensor), so you cant use a standard speedo drive afaik.....

My f15 was a early mech speedo one

So is mine the later one that has an electronic speedo? Could i just use corsa sport clocks then and use the corsa wiring?

Adam
27-02-09, 04:24 PM
You could use corsa clocks yeah.
Make sure the speedo starts at 0mph, if it starts at 10mph then they are cable driven clocks......

You will have to run some wires to the sensor, as the plug for it is on the corsa car loom and not the engine loom.

andrew1988
27-02-09, 06:06 PM
Nice one, thank you!