PDA

View Full Version : Weird knocking when im driving

Tidy Max
27-02-09, 09:33 AM
Hi there!

Not posted in a while, but im planning on getting the nova back into proper shape but first i have to sort out the mechanical problems!

When im driving i get a slight wobble through the steering wheel, like my tracking is out, but i can feel a slight knocking?

Also the ride has become rather harsh and very bumpy, even driving over the tarmac lines that say SLOW on a road is really harsh!

Any ideas? ive heard it might be my bushings/wishbone bushings?

Any helps appreciated! cheers!

Spudly
27-02-09, 09:45 AM
If its been laid up for a while then your dampers could have perished and this is whats causing the uncomfortable ride (or it could just be youre not used to how harsh it is anymore) your knocking noise could be a lot of things, loose or snapped bottom arm bolts knackered track rod end or ball joint so get your wheels off or whichever wheel you feel the knock is coming from the most and give everything a wobble/check over and hopefully you will find the culprit!

Tidy Max
27-02-09, 09:49 AM
Cheers spud!
Its not been off the road, but its my fault you thought that for wording the post badly.

Its that ive let the nova get out of shape! Im not a big fan of working on my car in the winter, so ... i just don't. I realise its a terrible thing to say haha but its true! Which is daft as i enjoy doing it!

Thanks for the help, getting access to a car lift soon so i can crack on!

Spudly
27-02-09, 09:55 AM
Yeah i know that feeling bud, just make sure you give everything a good coat of looking at while youre under there and if in doubt change your bottom arms/ball joints as that wouldnt hurt and iirc theyre cheap as anything for a nova anyways:thumb:

AlexW
27-02-09, 12:11 PM
Do as spud already said but get the tracking checked if there is nothing else underneath.

And btw the bottom balljoints are about a fiver each so its well worth it. Steering arm ones were about £4 when i bought 2 for my car.

meritlover
27-02-09, 01:00 PM
as said, change the balljoints and track rod arms, then get the wheel alignment done.
that way you wont be chasing the wobble for weeks, and you wont have to worry about those parts for a long time.

failing that,
check your crossmember and inner wings for cracks.

Tidy Max
27-02-09, 01:06 PM
cheers lads, im noting all this down! thanks for the help!

burgo
27-02-09, 02:22 PM
is there air in your tyres??

mk2maniac
03-03-09, 09:29 AM
as all others say +
if it has anti roll bars check to see if they are nocking by rocking the car side to side. if so change them. not expensive bout a tenner job i think

Tidy Max
04-03-09, 02:31 PM
haha funny guy burgo lol

ive got it jacked up and am underneath it now

can anyone give any tips or pointers as to what to check?

when i manually push the wheels (asif the car was turning left, right, left ect) it really groans and creaks, please help if anyone can!

Tidy Max
04-03-09, 02:47 PM
found the problem! thanks anyway

brainsnova
04-03-09, 03:42 PM
what was it. hopefully not a loose wheel.