PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a MK4 Astra

BENJIEGSI8v
26-02-09, 09:49 PM
Hi guys,
Me and mate are going to attempt to lower his mk4 Astra. As we dont have much idea on how to do this and are numpties any help on how to do it would be much appriciated.
We are just doing the springs, but if anyone in the Bristol area is free this w/e there will be a few beers in it!
Thanks
Ben

Pistol Pete
26-02-09, 10:26 PM
Buy a haynes. That will show you how to remove the springs i would have thought.

Stuart
26-02-09, 10:30 PM
rear springs are the same concept as doing a novas, but both shock bolts are under the car :) and the fronts will be a similar concept just need to remove a few more bits like ARB drop links etc.

Pistol Pete
26-02-09, 10:31 PM
I was going to say that Stu, but wasnt 100% about mk4 Astras lol

Stuart
26-02-09, 10:35 PM
they are just big novas :D

Jay
26-02-09, 11:06 PM
Fronts - Undo the 2 19mm iirc bolts on the strut, then undo either end of the drop link, then push/ hit gently down on the hub, then the strut will be free.

Open bonnet and undo the 13mm nuts.

Refitting is exactly the same but just in reverse.

Rears - Rears are very easy, jack the car up undo 1 of the shock bolts on the bottom of the shock (don't undo them both at the same time otherwise the beam will fall down and you'll prob snap the brake lines) Once the bottom shock bolt is loose then pull it out and the spring should just fall out.

Again just do all this in reverse again.

I assume that you are using the standard shocks?

BENJIEGSI8v
27-02-09, 09:44 AM
Thank you guys. Much appriciated!!
Ill get on the job 2moro!

Stuart
27-02-09, 11:30 AM
Fronts - Undo the 2 19mm iirc bolts on the strut, then undo either end of the drop link, then push/ hit gently down on the hub, then the strut will be free.

Open bonnet and undo the 13mm nuts.

Refitting is exactly the same but just in reverse.

Rears - Rears are very easy, jack the car up undo 1 of the shock bolts on the bottom of the shock (don't undo them both at the same time otherwise the beam will fall down and you'll prob snap the brake lines) Once the bottom shock bolt is loose then pull it out and the spring should just fall out.

Again just do all this in reverse again.

I assume that you are using the standard shocks?

No 13mm bolts/nuts near the front shocks on my MK4...

AlexW
27-02-09, 12:15 PM
wasnt this in TV not long ago?