PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel bearings

jimbob-mcgrew
26-02-09, 08:44 PM
i switched a drum over today for the bearing, as my old one was noisy, it hasnt fixed the prob ? any ideas ? only thing i can think of is possible wear on the axle shaft ?

Adam
26-02-09, 08:47 PM
How did you tighten the hub nut?

jimbob-mcgrew
26-02-09, 08:56 PM
by hand, just pinched it tight

jimbob-mcgrew
26-02-09, 08:57 PM
the outer half of the bearing is a tad suspect tho, its prety damn tight on the axle. took some abuse getting it off the other car.

mowgli
26-02-09, 09:40 PM
it could be the backplate rubbing...

white2lSR
26-02-09, 09:50 PM
why didnt you just fit a new bearing?? there only about £10

jimbob-mcgrew
26-02-09, 09:58 PM
mowgli - my nova doesnt have backplates
white2lsr - cos ive got £3.02 in my bank

Pistol Pete
26-02-09, 10:23 PM
I think what mowgli means is the hub itself rubbing on the rear plate. Or is the hub just open to the elements at the back??!!

Oh, and overdraft FTW!!

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-09, 12:57 AM
ah right i get ya, nah its deffo a bearing noise, the wheel spins freely without scuffing on anything, u can tell its deffo bearing related.. funny this is, get this, the car that i took the drum off before, had an allright sounding bearing, and mine sounded bad... i swapped everything over including the washer and nut, and my car still sounds crap, but the car i took it off i replaced with the gubbins from mine and its fine ! wtf ! thats what made me think it might be axle shaft related ? i might try swapping them back. is that axle shaft bit removeable, worse comes to worse i can switch those around also.

brainsnova
27-02-09, 12:59 AM
these are but the bolts are tight and torxs.

Welsh Dan
27-02-09, 08:40 AM
Back the brake adjuster and handbrake off, check that the backing plate is flat then refit it. Torque it up properly to 25nm (i think), then back it off until you can move the washer around with a screwdriver. Refit the wheel without touching the brakes and see what happens.

EDIT: The stub axle retaining bolts need to be replaced with new ones every time they're removed.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-09, 10:19 AM
heheh dan, playing it by the book lol
will give it another bash this afternoon, might try combining bearing halves too, see if i can get one good one out of 2 as my cars rejecting it like a liver transplant.

also ive gotta set the handbrake up properly, prob nothing to do with it, but might help

AlexW
27-02-09, 12:24 PM
Are you sure its the rear bearing? and not one of the fronts or somthing other on the rear?

craig green
27-02-09, 12:40 PM
Could be the other side. I've replaced 3 before I found the rumbly one before...

Pistol Pete
27-02-09, 12:48 PM
/\ been there myself aswell lol very annoying! Jack the rear of the car up and with the wheels off and handbrake free spin each hub and listen. Check the fronts aswell just to be 110% sure.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-09, 11:15 PM
its cool now, both rear bearings from bad to good.
i switched the suspect near side drum back over for my old one, its miracolously fixed itself 65%-ish switching from hub to hub.
that'll do me, happy enough with it, should get thru the mot like it.

mk2maniac
03-03-09, 09:22 AM
well could have been a bent stubb axle. this could have happned if you drove it a while with bad bearings