PDA

View Full Version : gearstick & gator

jimbob-mcgrew
26-02-09, 08:41 PM
i wanna change my gator for another, whats the best way around this as removing the gearknobs usually kills them.

plus while im there, ive got alot of play in my gearstick, someone told me its most likely to be the linkage bushes on the gearbox ? it feels closer to me, like at the base of the stick ? worth switching sticks while im there doing the gator ?

cheers for any help.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-09, 11:16 PM
bump

mowgli
27-02-09, 11:31 PM
the wear is usually on the linkage.

the best way to mess with a stick & gaiter is to find a replacement & swap the whole lot in one go.

jimbob-mcgrew
27-02-09, 11:47 PM
i had a lil look earlier today under the gaitor... is it just those 2 bolts that look like they can be undone from underneath the car ?

mowgli
28-02-09, 12:08 AM
i had a lil look earlier today under the gaitor... is it just those 2 bolts that look like they can be undone from underneath the car ?

its been years since i did one, but i think it undoes from underneath.

Nova_Tek
28-02-09, 09:45 AM
Best way to remove the gear knob mate is to get something with a flat blunt end like a block of wood etc. Square it up with the gear stick and tap the block from underneath and bob is your mothers brother.

I used to think that just twisting and yanking off the gearknob was the way until I realised that it will eventually screw up your knob and you are left with a big plastic thing on the stick so fitting a new knob is next to impossible.

Iain
28-02-09, 11:55 AM
the wear is usually on the linkage.

There's normally a shedload of play in the stick too. If you can find a better one I'd replace it, but all the ones I've played with are very floppy too.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-02-09, 12:29 PM
cheers guys, ill try nova tek's block-o-wood trick first, that sounds like the easiest method, but ill steal the stick and linkage from this other car for later use too.

jimbob-mcgrew
28-02-09, 05:57 PM
plus rep for that one nova tek, the knobs came off dead easy that way, i used a pair of mole grips closely wrapped around the stick instead of a block of wood from underneath, to level out the beats on the knob, both flew off and hit the roof lining lol

Nova_Tek
02-03-09, 11:53 AM
Nice one, glad it worked. Mucho thanks for the repeth :thumb: