PDA

View Full Version : GSi skirts

L33 LEG
26-02-09, 03:27 PM
what do people do, spray them matt black or just clean them?

i really cant decide what to do, if i spray them then theres always a chance of them peeling and they might be too 'black' against my diamond black nova. if i keep them the standard colour they will stand out more but they might look too dirty.

is there any way you can get them looking brand new again with just a bit of cleaning? they are fairly decent with no scratches, but just not fresh enough for me.

any pics of painted and non painted ones on a black nova appreciated. im wanting them to stand out so dont want them too black if you get me :roll:

:thumb:

Shaun_O'Donnell
26-02-09, 03:35 PM
Wonder if Ade's peanut butter trick would work.

He applies peanut butter to bumpers a bit like you would back to black, might have the desired affect on the skirts.

This is not a pi$$take btw.

edit - here's the thread.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105689&highlight=peanut+butter

L33 LEG
26-02-09, 03:39 PM
iv actually heard of that before Lol, but we dont like peanut butter so im not just buying it to test, cos if it doesnt work itl be sat in the cupboard for years lol

iv got some really sh1t back to black but just does nothing. i suppose i might try and some decent stuff and see how it comes up.

just been looking at some pics in project threads and people who have sprayed them look too dark for what i want

brainsnova
26-02-09, 05:23 PM
if they are mint try t-cut on them but try on an unseen bit first.

staggy_gsi
26-02-09, 08:07 PM
dont think t-cut would be much use on plastic skirts mate.

i like the look of satin black, think that would look just right on yours

Adam
26-02-09, 08:29 PM
Dont t-cut black plastic! It makes a right mess as the white powder(t-cut when it dries) sticks in all the marks/scratches in the plastic.

Personally id keep them them bear plastic, i sprayed mine but because of where they are on the car, they pickup stone chips v.easily.

L33 LEG
27-02-09, 12:03 AM
il have a good think about it. im wanting to fit them on saturday so need to make my mind up quick as i dont want to be taking them off again.

will probably leave as they are and if im not happy il just spray them

Jack
27-02-09, 08:20 AM
Back to black usually requires at least 4 coats over the course of a few days. Bearing in mind the skirts were never black to begin with, more of a blueish-grey colour; and of course on a black car, they will look more grey than on a different coloured car.

let_nova
27-02-09, 10:52 AM
wd40 on a raf... wipe on jobe done.

L33 LEG
07-03-09, 07:13 PM
iv given them quite a few cleans. think the best thing i used was actually wd40. but its still looks messy. the colour isnt that bad, its just faded in places, what would you suggest? or what colour would you spray them?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/nova%20rebuild/renova091.jpg

novaxe235
07-03-09, 10:19 PM
try engine oil on a cloth (wipe on wipe off)do it a few times its what i used the more times you do it the more original/new they look seems to bring them back to life if you know what i mean .only down side is they tend to attract dirt to the skirt .

Pistol Pete
07-03-09, 10:27 PM
Auto glym bumper gel?

vaughanmc
08-03-09, 02:07 PM
Here's how I got mine:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/My%20Nova/NovaRebuild37.jpg
Gave them a light rub down, couple of coats of plastic primer then a couple of Rover Hurricane Grey and heres how they turned out:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/My%20Nova/NovaRebuild105.jpg
And fitted against original unpainted bumpers:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/My%20Nova/Re-Lowered1.jpg
Hope that helps :thumb:

brainsnova
08-03-09, 02:13 PM
peanut butter works wonders and from asda or there abouts is 78p. my mate done his mums ka bumpers etc and came up good.

Emmy
08-03-09, 02:15 PM
peanut butter works wonders and from asda or there abouts is under a £1. my mate done his mums ka bumpers etc and came up good.

lol lol

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 02:15 PM
The neighbours must have though he was ready for the funny farm lol

L33 LEG
08-03-09, 02:37 PM
im not trying peanut butter lol

i may just give them a spray, itl probably be just as quick to do anyway

cheers for the advice

General Baxter
08-03-09, 02:42 PM

IT WORKS lol

vaughanmc
08-03-09, 02:45 PM

cheers for the advice

I sprayed mine - Also means you don't need to keep bumper gelling them to keep them shiney :D

NOVA_LEE
08-03-09, 02:53 PM
i used to use shoe polish on me bumpers an that done a decent job, if your goin to sprey bumper skirts etc they have a tendancy to flake, to prevent this you need to change the proppertys of the plastic so get a blow torch an give the plastic a quick goin over (not too much because would melt) an the paint when applied sticks better an wont flake.

L33 LEG
08-03-09, 03:01 PM
thats the only reason i didnt want to spray them as they would flake off at some point. (i would only be doing a quick sand, prime and spray job with cans)

i might try shoe polish actually, did my whole roof on my cab abit ago and it turned it from green to black lol

vaughanmc
08-03-09, 03:02 PM
Use plastic primer and the paint shouldn't flake that way ;)

L33 LEG
08-03-09, 03:04 PM
il try the shoe polish and if that still doesnt work il get some plasitc primer and start spraying them. il do it during the week and let you know how i get on. my old skirts came up well when i did them matt black, think hurricane grey would be my best bet for this car though

Pistol Pete
08-03-09, 03:15 PM
Shoe polish?? Try some bumper gel. If it works on them....

vx kev
08-03-09, 05:38 PM
I have a nice little trick to brighten up old tired skirts & trims to make them like new again. :D
This was found purely by trial and error but believe it or not its is carpet dye i used. :wtf:
being a valeter i get to try all sorts of different stuff and found that Car brite Carpet Dye took to plastic rather well and so thought i'd give it a try, the charcoal grey is almost pretty much spot on to the original colour and gives the same original effect! :eek:
If you can get this from anywhere or know someone that can, give it a bash, it comes in a normal type spray can and is about £5 per can. As long as it is this stuff it drys perfect and lasts a long time and is pretty durable aswell.
No priming needed just clean up the plastic to be painted and give it a quick good old scuff with some scotchbrite or that, then spray away with light even coats. Job done :thumb:
Moffat thats on here now has a set of skirts i done with it and so could vouch for it :D

CoolTiger
09-03-09, 08:10 PM

cheers for the advice

scotch it with red scotch high build primer flat it back with 320grit and then 500grit scotch again and then paint :)