PDA

View Full Version : some 2.0 8 valve advice

boyle_46
24-02-09, 10:48 PM
Hows its going girls ? , im not the most mechanical minded person lol but i like the idea of fitting a 2ltr 8 valve to my nova because im not gay enough to go 16valve , i was wondering what steps and precautions i should go about fitting the engine , and if any one knew what conversion bits i would need to carry this task out , any help will be greatly appreacheated cheers Nath .

Adam
24-02-09, 11:02 PM
huh?
a 2l 8v is a big block lol lol

boyle_46
24-02-09, 11:05 PM
i mean i dont want to join the 2 litre 16 valve homo club lol i just like the idea of staying 8 valve too many red heads about . il edit origional post lol

Pistol Pete
24-02-09, 11:11 PM
You must be gay for wanting a big block 8 valve lol

Why do you think there arent alot of BB 8 valves? Because THAT is the gay option.

:roll: Tarquin... ;) (not a gay wink in any way shape or form lol)

boyle_46
24-02-09, 11:14 PM
just like to different mate :D want to stand out from the crowd and go 8 valve any ideas on what parts i would need to gather up to do this conversion ?

bmw156
24-02-09, 11:16 PM
im thinking about doing this as well. but kinda swaying to the 16v side because i think its the same work as a 16v but you get tons more power from a 16v

hench why everyone goes 16v, but i agree with ya for going 8v

Andy
25-02-09, 11:03 AM
Yes you will stand out from the crowd,they will be well in front of you....
If you are going to get an 8v get an SEH or get an NE and turbo it.
The NE has lower compression than the seh so would be better to do

boyle_46
25-02-09, 11:27 AM
Yes you will stand out from the crowd,they will be well in front of you....
If you are going to get an 8v get an SEH or get an NE and turbo it.
The NE has lower compression than the seh so would be better to do

as said im not very mechanically minded what woudl the NE engine come from ? what conmversion parts would be neeeded to fitt this engine to my car ? thanks

Andy
25-02-09, 11:30 AM
The same conversion parts as what is required to fit an XE
An ne can be found in Calibra's Cavaliers,Carltons,
Pm Slothsport1 for the turbo advice on the NE engine
The Seh is found in Mk2 Cavalier SRi 130's

Nova_Tek
25-02-09, 02:38 PM
The Seh is found in Mk2 Cavalier SRi 130's

And very early MK3 Cav SRi's too.

If you wanna stick to N/A engines then get the SEH 15BHP more from scratch. If you wanna go turbo then NE as mentioned.

Adam
25-02-09, 06:39 PM
i mean i dont want to join the 2 litre 16 valve homo club lol i just like the idea of staying 8 valve too many red heads about . il edit origional post lol
If you want to limit your options and stick with an inferior 8v, do it......

2000 16v's conversions are popular for a reason, they cant be beaten for power/torque for your money........

Nova_Tek
26-02-09, 11:30 AM
Tis true what Adam says but the 8v's are quieter and that bit less troublesome because they are simpler.

Also wouldn't the 8v conversion be lighter? Im just assuming that the F16 gearbox and the engine would be a tad lighter then a XE + F20 counterpart.

It's your car matey.

16v Nova Kev
26-02-09, 12:03 PM
i mean i dont want to join the 2 litre 16 valve homo club lol explain yourself

Leeboo
26-02-09, 12:55 PM
From memory, you will need, gte/earlygsi/td shafts, mk2 cav 1600 inner cv's, weld engine mount point lower on chassis leg, then you need part of the donor car's loom to wire it into your own loom.

You also will need to buy a larger bore exhaust system or weld your skinny 1.2 version to fit the 2.0 downpipe (not adviseable), you will need to seam weld the engine bay, (id fit strengthenign kit too). You may need to change your fuel tank depending on whether your Nova is carb or spi.

Then possible consumables, recommended timing belt and service, regal filters. lol

Basically a lot of work to fit and engine that might not be much quicker than a gsi lump (if you go NE).

Why do you want an 8v instead of 16v? 2.0 8v has been done loads of tmes before too so its not different. Ok, if you are still insured as a 1200 and get pulled, the 8v will be less obvious than a 16v, thats all I can think of. (Not accusing you of anything, wouldn't blame you as insurance is silly at our age).

Fit an sri or gsi engine with f10 4 speed, be quick enough!!

Sloth
26-02-09, 02:41 PM
From memory, you will need, gte/earlygsi/td shafts, mk2 cav 1600 inner cv's, (shaftec part no. pj16) weld engine mount point lower on chassis leg, or use the corsa-novatuning spacer block trick. then you need part of the donor car's loom to wire it into your own loom. see the guides on here, or search...

You also will need to buy a larger bore exhaust system or weld your skinny 1.2 version to fit the 2.0 downpipe (not adviseable),You may need to change your fuel tank depending on whether your Nova is carb or spi.

Then possible consumables, recommended timing belt and service, regal filters. lol

Basically a lot of work to fit and engine that might not be much quicker than a gsi lump (if you go NE).

Why do you want an 8v instead of 16v? 2.0 8v has been done loads of tmes before too so its not different. Ok, if you are still insured as a 1200 and get pulled, the 8v will be less obvious than a 16v, thats all I can think of. (Not accusing you of anything, wouldn't blame you as insurance is silly at our age).

Fit an sri or gsi engine with f10 4 speed, be quick enough!!

edited for you...
the seh is far faster than the gte/gsi lump, and the ne is more torquey, so it pulls better. id go for an ne and fit a 4 branch and a few other bits, and 140 is easy emough. ive never seam welded a nova bay, as a solid bay is fine for a 2.0 8v, and my redtop hatch was built in 93 and never seamed. the 8v can be done in a weekend, its a very easy swap and gives excellent power and torque for the car.:thumb:

Leeboo
26-02-09, 03:15 PM
i wasn't slating the 8v's dude, just pointing out that he will need to weigh up his options regarding whether or not it would be feasible. all depends how cheap you get the parts i suppose. i can't see what you edited??

i know the ne's are a fit enough engine, uncle used to have mk3 cav sri with an ne and it pulled it along rightly!

bowman
26-02-09, 05:23 PM
Were are all a little mad for messing on with old nova's.....lol I dont agree with the gay reference tho....saxo/clio/106 modding is gay...

Fit what ever turns you on mate, and enjoy it.. Either 8v will give good results for little money..... Easy engine to work on, safe if the belt snaps, cheap as chips for parts etc. And xe's leak oil (unless your very lucky), and I hate oil leaks! so 8v for me!

Leeboo
26-02-09, 06:01 PM
slothsport - just after noticing what you edited, cheers I've learnt something new!

mint nova
26-02-09, 07:48 PM
i say 8v all the way, but i would as ive got one!! ha ha

like every ones said its the same as putting a redtop in parts wise but less hassle to modify things like the clutch cable and matrix pipe etc..

so going off the subject a little i have a SER in my nova (from an astra GTE) if i was to think about turboing id have to get an NE instead??

mint nova
26-02-09, 07:49 PM
sorry this is my mates account forgot to log into mine...

Gabbo
26-02-09, 07:51 PM
sorry again this is my account i have the 8v...

:eek: