PDA

View Full Version : PS2 or Xbox

Stuart
30-12-02, 07:07 PM
im seeing the benefits of both but obviously i can only get one.

pros for ps2 - GT3, GTA3/VC, Toca Race driver, decent controller
pros for Xbox - Halo, Splintercell, better hardware and easy broadband connection, onboard hard drive.

cheers peeps

NuTtY nOvA fLaIr
30-12-02, 07:19 PM
get the ps2 m8 its aloy better than the x-box have u seen the size ov them x-box's they r massive defo geta ps2 and get THE GETAWAY for it ive played on it and its mint better than vice city infact

CP
30-12-02, 08:15 PM
I was wondering about this as well. Have decided to get a DVD player and am considering smuggling a PS2 in as it. I aint much into games but I reckon that WRC 2 on the PS is as about as good as it gets? Does it play film DVD's in good enuff quality - I'm presuming its not bad?

Also what are the best deals peeps seen?
The best PS2 deal I saw in MK sales was ?149.99 but I think it had jack shit in the way of games with it- I've seen others for nearer ?160 but they've got deals on the games included?

cheers
CP ( the Mr Thicko of technology)

Dan
30-12-02, 08:23 PM
yes mate they play dvd's fine, you might find you have to buy a remote control for this to fully appreciate but only another 12 pounds or so of yer pension money. Also alot of feedback regarding the game u mentioned, if you do choose to 'smuggle' one in get colin mcrae 3 as well as reports i have seen/heard prefer this in comparison.

Breeny
30-12-02, 10:08 PM
Xbox is just a PC.

I'd still get a PS2..

?Marty?
30-12-02, 11:25 PM
I have had every console ever out so far and X-Box is by far the best console on the market today, and (from Microsoft buying some of the biggest/best Game developers on the market, and signing 'X-Box only' deals) it is likely to stay that way for a long time yet.

Sure the PS2 has already had a very large fan base, due to it being able to play PS1 games, and it also has more games out at the moment.

However, most of the games on X-Box are a lot better (visually and etc), and there's a fair few great titles out now for it (some which are X-Box exclusive) and there's A LOT more coming out.

There's Splinter Cell! Halo. The Getaway!? The Getaway 2 is coming out for X-Box soon.
As is Halo 2, and etc (can't be bothered naming games at the moment).

Some of the games i've played on that are available for both consoles (HitMan 2, Max Pain...etc) have all been considerably better on the X-Box. (No i don't work for them! :lol: )

It may be bigger than a PS2, but that's because of the internal Hard-drive - it just makes it a lot more convenient saving games and etc, plus you can save your own music (individual tracks/albums) on it, and have them playing back during games, instead of the in-game music.

And it's going to be a lot better 'Live' too.

Face it, Miscosoft is the biggest company in the world, of course it'll be good. (Or will it !? :lol: )

?Marty?
30-12-02, 11:27 PM
Oh and if you don't like the controllers, you can get official smaller one's (initially only available for the Japanese market, as they have smaller hands!), unofficial ones, and there's even adapters available which let you use PS2 controllers, if you so wish.

I've got a GameCube too, but the only good thing about that is Resident Evil. And the size of the Game Discs.

mikeoxford
30-12-02, 11:40 PM
tricky one this

im in VERY same situation

i think X box is the better one of the two, but quite a good quote from my mate the other day, its just not a sony!

at the end of the day i think sony will always just peak above the x box as it has a bigger base of customers, and there will be a bigger selection of games as far as i can see as game developers are already with sony, so all the big well known games are with them.

x box will have to find new games to fight against that and i think thatll be hard

however yes i do agree the x box is the better console of the two.

but which one!

its so hard!

im sitting on the fence really as my cousin has a ps2 and my best mate has x box, i play both and think both are great.

the only other thing putting me off is the price of the games!

(mike waits for slim jim to come in and beat him with a stick RE price of games!)

frillip
31-12-02, 12:17 AM
Hey all thought id throw my opinion in here!!

I own both of the consoles!!!

X box- This console is gr8 it has 4 pad hole for mulitplayer and halo is good for that also the new james bond game is like the old goldeneye on the N64 which was good
Also it can store music on it so on some games that have a radio station in it you may be able to choose from your own mp3 rips that you have done onto the hard drive
Also it has many good racing games such Ralli Sport, project gotham racing, burnout is on it aswell, sega gt is fairly decent, also has v rally 2 coming out on it and also cilon mcrae 3

Another good game which pushed me to getting one was Splinter Cell which is class!! The one downfall of the x box is the dvd player has to be activated bu sum little thing u buy for 20nicker from HMV

Ps2 - Here we go

This has already got many a good games on this but may have been finally caught up by the xbox due to the fact that it has not got many first person games like halo which is only for x box!!! but the good games which wont be appearin on the x box like vice city draw ppl to the ps2 due to the sheer ammount of violence in the game!!!*p;laying at the moment*

ne way the dvd is good because u are saying money by not having 2 in one here a gr8 games console and a dvd player which can play all regoin dvds if u buy the cd from HMV for a tenner which i also have!!

ne way thats my opinion and as u can c computers are my strong point :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ne way another one to be thrown into the arguement is the nintendo gamecube which has nothink on these 2 but if u lookin for style and kiddy games buy the panasonic version which has dvd player and also everythink the normal gamecube has!!!!!

mikeoxford
31-12-02, 12:21 AM
problem solved by both :lol:

frillip
31-12-02, 12:23 AM
also the packages out at the moment for the xbox are good 4 games and 1 control for arond 200!!!! thats wat i got and ive had my ps2 for a year

ne way beings as i forgot to say wat id get hhhhmmmmmmmm little hard

for action the x box but if its drivin your afta ps2 cus i forgot to say GT3 if amazin!!

Nova-Flair
31-12-02, 02:19 AM
PS2 i say for GTA vice city alone violence and 80's tunes what more could u want + grand turismo is gr8 as is Colin McRae 3

Nova1.6
31-12-02, 10:56 AM
look u mappit, get a PS2 and stop mesing about, if u want a x box coz of the hard drive n broad band n sh!t get a PC!

GET A PS2 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Ian
31-12-02, 11:31 AM
gotta be ps2

vice city is class, more games about, completely outsells the xbox

whats this about controllers? lmao buy an xbox then buy a ps2 controller and an adaptor lol just get a ps2

edited post to make it a vote.

charles, dvds play fine too.

Matt Finary
31-12-02, 12:24 PM
It has to be a PS2. I had mine for over a year now and I think it's better than the X box. Two must by games are Vice city and The Getaway.

Matt :)

Dan
31-12-02, 03:09 PM
agree with vice city and the getaway, i have just purchased the getaway and first impressions tell me it is a touch better than vice city. Being car game only kinda person these two are good comprimises.

mikeoxford
31-12-02, 03:40 PM
think my christmas money is going on a ps2.............

that emulation with the Xbox is quite correct - as most of the hardcore programming in Xbox games are similar to PC

but having said that - there is another side to the coin, using Bleem to emulate PS..................

where di you get that from micky!!!!!!! 8) fcuk cool! anyone got a website?!?!?!

mikeoxford
31-12-02, 04:35 PM
was bleem any good for emulating psone?

CP
31-12-02, 06:05 PM
cheers lads for the good advice - got a bit lost there with emulators for a time tho :lol:

So anyway I told the missus that decent DVD players is about 160 squids! :wink:

ade
31-12-02, 09:56 PM
you can get decent dvd players for less that ?160!

Its like the old argument over vhs vs betamax - betamax was way better quality wise but vhs was more popular. the xbox is popular but the ps2 has the faithful following of ps1 fans - thats a pretty impressive fan base!

I've played both - the only benefit I can see over the 2 is the built in hard drive on the x box which loads the game (or most of it) so you aint got pauses mid game etc (like on stuntman when you have to wait for each section to load)

But then - if you've played a ps1 youre used to that anyway -

At the end of the day its down to the quality of the games and the price of them.

I'd get a PS2 - take a look on ebay - theyre going on there for ?120 with 4 games

Ade
8)

mikeoxford
01-01-03, 01:20 AM
just looking on ebay now - not bad! some already chipped too!

Stuart
01-01-03, 03:20 PM
just bought the Xbox and i have to say its very very good. sega gt2002 is very realistic and you have to maintain your car otherwise you blow bits up etc (not sure if this is the same on gt3 lol)

yes halo is good but wont be spending too much time on that as its not my thing.

and as for looks i relly dont care since its going to be out of the way.

the controller is much better after an hour or so of playing, the top buttons are better than the ps ones.

all in all im happy with my choice, and my house mate is getting a ps2 anyway so we get a nice mix :D

mikeoxford
01-01-03, 11:10 PM
also i have to say x-box live is VERY good and works extremely well.

its still in its pilot scheme and dosent come out worldwide until sometime this year

but when me and my mate played moto GP (i think it is???) there was over 68 thousand members!!!!! i mean come on - its only in three or four countries so far!!!!!!

?Marty?
04-01-03, 01:08 AM
What's wrong with you people! The Earth is round! And the X-Box is best! :lol:

And there's a lot of good games for the X-Box, not just Halo (i don't like 3rd person games anyway) and Splinter Cell.

You could say that PS2 only has GT3 and Vice city too then.

X-Box hasn't been around for as long as PS2, so of course there won't be as many games. Yet.

TUBZGSXR
04-01-03, 09:37 AM
hav to agree, the xbox seems much better, ive had a playstation 2 and it was good but not as good as the xbox, and more importantly u can get the xbox chipped very easily to play al the games, ie playstation as welll................... 8)

?Marty?
04-01-03, 11:38 PM
Yep. It's true! :D

?Marty?
06-01-03, 03:42 AM
But it's like sticking a Lada engine in a valver Nova. Why would you want to play inferior games on a superior machine!? :lol:

frillip
06-01-03, 08:55 AM
id do it and considerin givin my ps2 to mike :D lol if i get it done

*he thinks*

but id do it bcus it saves money on buying a ps2 and also a dvd player and also u cant get the ps2 to play x box games so u get best of both worlds and a hard drive to store music on :lol: :lol:

and i also heard the x box live is good and worth the money

mikeoxford
06-01-03, 09:05 AM
:lol: he heard that from me :wink:

Stuart
06-01-03, 03:35 PM
it was a mistake to buy an xbox..... because im probably going to fail my degree now lol

my hosue mates are on halo permanently. i heard one playing it at 5 this morning lol

i shall be investing in the chip since it seems the ideal way to go.

wisewood
06-01-03, 03:41 PM
from the stand point that i have only every used each of them a few times and own neither of them, i have to say the xbox is better... the games are fantastic. PS2 is good... xbox is better.

jkhilton
07-01-03, 01:40 PM
I have chipped 5 X-box's now and put 120gb hdd's into them. This means that you can download games straight to them and play the games straight off the hdd. It makes the loading times almost instant and if you have broadband internet then you will never have to buy another game again or even bother having to write them to CD. But, saying that, I would still go for a PS2(and I have done) just down to the fact that it looks so much cooler and I have Vice City for it.

frillip
07-01-03, 04:27 PM
can u still use x box live if u get it chipped then cus i was gonna get mine done and also how muhc is a 120gig hdd????and how much for chippin as i can get copied games for 7quid

u could do mine if its cheap enuff

wisewood
07-01-03, 04:38 PM
120 gig hdd should cost you between 100 and 120 quid retail depending on who you know and whats about at the time.

frillip
07-01-03, 04:42 PM
o so it can be any hdd that u can put in it?? i tought it may just be a certain type silly me

jkhilton
07-01-03, 05:13 PM
I generally have used the HDD's with the big 8mb cache's, they just improve the loading times a little. Not having actually bought a chip myself, I dont know the cost of them, but I think it may be around ?50 or something. to actually fit the chip is a piece of piss, it takes no soldering at all, just one screw and lining up 3 other holes until the little LED on the chip goes green, it took me all of 5 mins to do the last one. The only pain in the ass bit is setting up the new HDD and the new dashboard. it's not difficult, just time consuming! check out http://www.xbox-scene.com/ for more info on the chip etc.