PDA

View Full Version : Best height to lower and inside wheel burning

nova_saloon
22-02-09, 08:05 PM
The inside of my front tyres have worn bald so very quickly and i am not sure what to do about it, first if all what is the best height to lower by and then how do i sort out the camber problem that is burning the inside of my tyres, i know there are bolts that you can buy but is there anything you can do or best way to go about it? :thumb:

brainsnova
22-02-09, 08:08 PM
you can get adjustable top mounts and also lower the tie rods at the crossmember. in the search you should find what i mean.

John
22-02-09, 08:27 PM
Get you car suspension geometry checked properly after carrying out any suspension work. I take it you had the toe adjusted after lowering?

Iain
22-02-09, 08:38 PM
As above, dodgy toe will scrub away your tyres.

brainsnova what effects does lowering the tie bar have on the suspension geometry?

nova_saloon
22-02-09, 08:44 PM
okay i bought the car lowered i didnt do it, how would you go about doing the toe adjustment?

John
22-02-09, 08:56 PM
okay i bought the car lowered i didnt do it, how would you go about doing the toe adjustment?

Get the goemetry/wheel alignment checked, ats, kwik fit or similar. Your car will handle TONS better after adjustment.

nova_saloon
22-02-09, 09:18 PM
will they sort the camber out u saying to stop my wheels running bald on the inside due to the amount of negative camber, because i had the wheels aligned already about a year ago

John
22-02-09, 09:20 PM
A full wheel alignment should include camber, castor and toe. They may charge you a little extra for camber adjustments.

nova_saloon
22-02-09, 09:42 PM
cheers! much appreciated. but what are theese top mounth adjustments like, how do they work? anybody use them?

Iain
23-02-09, 06:14 PM
John you won't be able to change the camber on a "standard" setup though?

The topmounts replace your existing topmounts and have an offset centre and lots of holes around the edge so you can reposition it for the desired camber. AFAIK you can only fit them to coilovers.

You can look in to camber bolts too that replace one of the strut bolts to allow for camber changes.