PDA

View Full Version : k&n

Euan
29-12-02, 02:52 PM
i recently installed my new k&n panel filter on my 1.3sr. it seems to be running fine however a friend of mine (apprentice mechanic) told me that if i dont run a cold air feed to it my engine will BLOW UP!!! i know that a cold air feed would improve my performance but also be less economic. is he talking shite??!?!!?

also the breather pipe which is removed from the old air box (the thick 1) is it ok to put a small cone filter on it. (the little breather 1's u get?)

MattyWoo
29-12-02, 02:55 PM
i was wondering where u get the little brather filters from, anyone know???

Chris LR
29-12-02, 02:56 PM
Blow up my ar$e, Then again I'm an apprectice mechy myself, lol.

Aragorn
29-12-02, 06:06 PM
you are still running the frying pan with a k&n element?

or u are running a K&N bolt on??

the bolt on is infact the almost opposite of what he said

feeding air thats too cold into a carb will cause the jets to ice over and the carb will freeze up causing it to stall

if your using the original dustbin box it has a hot air intake to stop this from happening

Euan
29-12-02, 06:50 PM
i'm using a bolt on filter. so it will be fine the way it is??

mikeoxford
29-12-02, 10:58 PM
yes ittl be fine

halfords / ripspeed sell the pipercross breather filters.

a cold air feed is good during summer months, but as said you can get carb icing during winter etc so go with a warm feed or what some people do is like taxis block the grilles up - or inside cover some of the kand n around the edges with card so not as much air gets in and it draws it from hot air in the engine bay

Euan
30-12-02, 04:35 PM
another slight problem(maybe)? my when the engine is revd petrol fumes (i think) come out of the breather tube. is this normal?? where does this breather tube run to??

mikeoxford
30-12-02, 07:18 PM
thats your crankcase breather pipe. (it vents the crankcase at the bottom of the engine)

i am not mechanically enough to diagnose why you have that there, but i dont think you should

petrol etc should be kept at the top of the pistons.

if you are smeelling petrol vapor from below this in the crankcase id of said their was a problem somewhere and petrol vapor or fumes under compression are getting down into the block..........

could be VERY wrong there though dont wish to alarm you at all! wait till one of the mechanical bods replies here ;)

Ste_Nova
31-12-02, 11:32 AM
excesive breathing = worn engine
if it's chucking loads of fuel and fumes out you may have to vent it into a catch tank (td header tank or headlight wash tank)

Anton
31-12-02, 11:36 AM
Just taken mine off for mr insurance man as it wasn't declared :|

Euan
31-12-02, 01:56 PM
yeh but that breather connects to the airbox originally. it says in the haynes manual that it re-cirulates fuel back into the "system" so would it not make sense for me to drill a hole in my k&n and just feed the breather into it. like its done with the old airbox??

Anton
31-12-02, 01:59 PM
you can buy a breather pipe k&n attachment thing. Mine was 16 quid.

Euan
31-12-02, 02:05 PM
is that to put the breather onto the k&n so the fumes will go through it?

i bought a seperate cone shape filter and attached it to the end of the breather pipe. it looked the dogs baws but i think thats where i'm goin wronh cus it aint linked up to the airfilter and carb. i u know what i mean.

ade
31-12-02, 10:26 PM
what engine is it?

on my 1.2 (carb) - the K&N bolt on I fitted had no space for the breather pipe - the instructions suggested this was an oil breather pipe (excess spits out of it occasionally) - they recommended connecting a length of pipe to it and aim it at the road.

Dunno if this helps

Ade

mikeoxford
01-01-03, 01:03 AM
i get some shit outta there too sometimes,

let it be for a lil' while c what happens

no_va
03-01-03, 07:56 PM
i would fit a K&N crankcase breather filter to it. it will increase performance slightly. for the mean time though just tuck it away it will be fine.(the breather pipe that is) :D