PDA

View Full Version : c20xe headgasket and bolts?

Nobby
20-02-09, 09:22 PM
Hi chaps my xe ive found has a fooked headgasket now will a standard motor factors 1 be ok and are the bolts reusable or will i need new 1s??cheers

John
20-02-09, 09:24 PM
Motor factors will be fine, nope you need to get new bolts, please don't re-use your old ones. Get head checked and skimmed before re-fitment.
What's wrong with the head gsaket?

Lee H
20-02-09, 09:26 PM
Will need new bolts as they are stretch bolts. There are two different lengths of bolts too depending on early or late engine. Early need female torx bit to remove, late need male torx bit.

I've always used genuine GM gaskets so wouldn't like to advise on that.

Nobby
20-02-09, 09:38 PM
Motor factors will be fine, nope you need to get new bolts, please don't re-use your old ones. Get head checked and skimmed before re-fitment.
What's wrong with the head gsaket?

well i bought the calibra donor off ebay fpr £150 had problems getting it running lack of fuel to rail etc, now i eventually got it running and took it round the block and by the time i had got back it hda dropped onto 3 cylinders and was smoking like funk, did a compression check today no 1-2-3 cylinders were between 10-12 (cant remember what they were measured in maybe psi or bar?? :S) so i took the head off earlier and found it to be blowing between no 3-4 cylinder.:roll:

John
20-02-09, 09:42 PM
Cool, thought you were on about the astra!

Nobby
20-02-09, 09:45 PM
pmsl no lol my cavalier of fail

Paul
20-02-09, 09:48 PM
get GM Headgasket, worth the extra score or so for piece of mind.

Rich
20-02-09, 11:36 PM
Motor factors stuff will be fine. Just get the head skimmed before refitting or you will be doing another headgasket in a week or so :)

philip
21-02-09, 07:47 AM
use the goetze gasket, about £15. bolts are about £10 i think!

id look at getting the head pressure tested before anything to make sure its not gone porous!

Nobby
21-02-09, 02:32 PM
cheers guys the heads all stripped ready to go to be pressure tested and skimmed ill let you know how i get on!!

Novasport
22-02-09, 02:09 PM
Elring are good so I've heard, apparently they make them for GM.
I think a later Z20LET gasket fits which is a multi layer steel gasket but not 100%, maybe someone else can confirm.

philip
22-02-09, 03:17 PM
dont bother with the zlet, the goetze is one to go for...besides going to a cometic

Novasport
22-02-09, 04:05 PM
Where is the best place to get a goetze gasket, how much are they and are they MLS? Does the Z20LET one fit, if so would it not be cheaper and still be genuine GM.

philip
22-02-09, 04:21 PM
loast goetze i got was £15, might be a tad dearer now.

try king components, and ask for that gasket.

i did a HG on a nova turbo, and that had the Zlet gasket and it was very poor! the goetze gaskets are good for well specced xe;s and Lets. + you need both the block+ the head flat to fit the metal gasket. where as theres some le-way(spl) with the goetze...as im sure you wouldnt want to have to strip the bottom end to get the block decked so done a proper job?

coombsey
22-02-09, 07:07 PM
where you having it pressure tested and skimmed?