PDA

View Full Version : twin 40 cold starts

Rally Nova
20-02-09, 07:44 PM
wasup everyone i duno if anyone else experiences this but i fitted twin 40s to me nova a few months ago it was runnin quality started up every time but recently wen tryin to start it i d be turnin it over till the battery nearly flat. ive bump started it a few times and it runs fine and once the engines warm itl fire up every time but wen i leave it twenty four hours it dont wana know sory fo the life story lol but any iddeas please help:confused:

slowsport
21-02-09, 01:39 PM
may sound silly but an old trick with carbs was to warm up the spark plugs like in an oven or have you tried some carb spray to help prime the engine? these ideas are general ideas not specific to twin 40s as i use to do those on my old fiat to start on really cold days lol (dam fiats)

Rally Nova
21-02-09, 02:19 PM
its really annoyin cos i cant drive it cos it jus wont strt the batterys almost flat ave 2 get one of me m8s to tow me while i bump it again but it is strtin to really annoy me it sounds like it wants fire but then after a while itl jus flood it

NOVA_LEE
21-02-09, 02:37 PM
i used to have park on hills when i had me first nova cos starter was fooked an had bump it each time, was fair funny cruisin round lookin for slightly sloped streets.

SKoob
21-02-09, 04:51 PM
have you been pumping the throttle a couple of times before trying to start it?

Welsh Dan
21-02-09, 04:57 PM
What condition is the gearbox earth strap in? If its not 'mint' I'd renew it anyway as they only cost about £2 and can cause a lot of problems.

Rally Nova
21-02-09, 09:02 PM
yeah i pump the throttle 3 times before startin it then i start slowly liftin off as i turn it over but it wont ave it realy is startin to annoy me but ile ave a look at the earth strap on the gearbox and see wat thts sayin cheers anyway

tom reid
21-02-09, 11:02 PM
Have you tried using the chokes?, or no throttle at all.

SKoob
22-02-09, 11:23 AM
tried some carb cleaner?

Rally Nova
22-02-09, 01:11 PM
i sprayed brake cleaner down the air filters which in my opinion is better but it wont ave me batteries almost flat anyway through me turnin it over for so long ave to put me battery on charge on mon and se

Adam
22-02-09, 01:13 PM
Have you had the engine/carbs setup on a RR?

Stuart
22-02-09, 01:17 PM
Have you had the engine/carbs setup on a RR, by a PROPER carb tuner?

edited for accuracy :D

paul james
22-02-09, 01:50 PM
Since you said the carbs worked fine untill recently, don't forget to check other things, maybe the distributer cap is worn, dirty or damp inside, have a look at the plugs etc.

novasrikev
23-02-09, 08:42 PM
i used to hold my throttle open about half way dude