PDA

View Full Version : Broadband microfilters

Jack
19-02-09, 06:48 PM
Do you need a microfilter on EVERY phone socket, i.e. even the ones with no phones plugged in? I can't remember off the top of my head, and google doesn't seem to say either way.

Plug
19-02-09, 06:49 PM
you only need a micro filter in a socket that has a phone pluged into it :thumb:

draper
19-02-09, 06:50 PM
i only had 1 in the main socket at my old house, so id say only where there is a phone plugged in

phazer
19-02-09, 07:26 PM
Yep, only with a phone.

Gashgusher
19-02-09, 07:39 PM
any socket with a device plugged in, be it phone or otherwise. some ppl have "daillers" on alarms which ring out when it activates or faults, so that'd need one too.

too many phones (+3 usually) can **** up your b-band signal too

happy surfing

Jack
19-02-09, 08:20 PM
Hmm, ok. I've got ~4 sockets and only one phone (line is pretty much only there for broadband) so I can get away with one filter then. Woot.

jimbob-mcgrew
21-02-09, 02:36 AM
yeh, you can get away with just the single one routed thru your dsl, but if the phone rings on a seperate line, it will take priority and cut the connection when the handset is lifted, if your phone runs outta the same socket via a splitter from the filter, that'l be fine :thumb:

let me know if u need either, got a spare filter and splitter here u can have for just postage cost.

phazer
21-02-09, 05:37 PM
The filter isn't there to give higher priority to ADSL :)

ADSL is piggy backed onto the phone line as a high frequency signal, the filter removes the ADSL signals on the phone side and vice versa to stop them interfereing with each other.

If you use a phone on a broadband line without a filter you get a lot of noise and crackling etc the reverse is data loss/sync loss on the broadband.

jimbob-mcgrew
21-02-09, 07:18 PM
u dizzy blad ?

Stuart
21-02-09, 08:34 PM
do the filters have a REN ?.... meaning you can have too many plugged in lol